The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Points adjusting in 35-36 Beep horn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229928)

Lawson Cox 09-26-2017 09:13 AM

Points adjusting in 35-36 Beep horn

Got my horns all working, but one needs to be tuned. Can't find anything about how to adjust in Archives search, and can't find my service bulletins but not sure service bulletins cover it. All suggestions will be given due consideration. Pictures or diagrams would be a plus. LOL

VeryTangled 09-26-2017 01:57 PM

Re: Points adjusting in 35-36 Beep horn

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone, Lawson, the advice I got was to loosen the nut then twist the indicated screw-head very slightly. Just passing it along as I have not had success yet.

Thanks to Don Rogers for the horn exploded diagram.

Anteek29 09-26-2017 02:58 PM

Time for Liquid Wrench

Lawson Cox 09-26-2017 03:03 PM

Yeah,Jeff. I have tried that w/o success. It looks like there may be two places to adjust. Is that correct? (Other nut on right, not circled in your picture.)

I need to start at some given place I presume. and start adjusting from there. Is there a starting point?

I get a very brief beep, then a click, and that's all. Brief beep is clear but it's gone as soon as it beeps. Therefore, I think all it needs is a proper adjustment, but I need a 1,2,3,4 step guide. I'm Oooooooold and about to need a keeper. Seems the wife of 56 years is turning out to be a good one, but she ain't a mechanic either. LOL

Lawson Cox 09-26-2017 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Anteek29;1532321]Time for Liquid Wrench[/QUOTE

Nope, screws and nuts are free.

keith oh 09-27-2017 02:15 PM

Lawson, Victor W. Page's book ( Published by Clymer Publication) gives methods for both Motor and Vibrator horns, which is a little clearer than mud. You might find one in a library or a friend if you don't have one. It is a very complete early Ford V/8 service manual. Amazon lists it every once in a while.

Lawson Cox 09-27-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith oh (Post 1532760)
Lawson, Victor W. Page's book ( Published by Clymer Publication) gives methods for both Motor and Vibrator horns, which is a little clearer than mud. You might find one in a library or a friend if you don't have one. It is a very complete early Ford V/8 service manual. Amazon lists it every once in a while.

Thanks Keith.

I'll look in my Clymer book and see if I can find anything. Probably not the same issue, however. Anyone have this book that can help me out here?

rotorwrench 09-28-2017 11:01 AM

Here is an article from a 1952 Popular Mechanics that explains a method for adjusting the armature air gap for the vibrator type horns. I have no idea if it will work on all of them but they all work on the same general principle.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Pt...mature&f=false

Lawson Cox 09-28-2017 12:35 PM

Hey, Thanks. Had to scroll down a long way, however, the info is worth the journey and should help. Haven't read a Popular Mechanics magazine in YEARS.

Now, I'll go down to the shop and follow my usual routine of looking at the problem (with the horn) for twenty minutes, sit down to contemplate the situation for 30 minutes, 10 minutes to fix the problem,(hopefully), rest for 45 minutes and then go back to the house to contemplate whether it will really work, sleep on it for 3-4 hours and forget what I had been doing before the nap, go back to the shop and pick up where I left off on the job of changing the spark plugs. (This accounts for most of the five months I have been tinkering with the horns, I hope)

Will keep everyone posted, if I can remember the name of the site where I posted this blurb.

Alaska Jim 09-28-2017 09:50 PM

Sounds like my routine Lawson.

Lawson Cox 09-28-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1533335)
Sounds like my routine Lawson.

Not too far off from reality lately. LOL

Now off to slumber land. I hope.

Dave Slater 09-29-2017 05:00 AM

Another thing that can effect the sound/tone of the horn is the capacitor. Being that the capacitor is 80 odd Years old I automatically replace it. It's like the ignition condenser it's there to stop the arcing between the points and I will guarantee that it's changed value. The cost is only a dollar each and you use to be able to purchase them at Radio Shack. Dave

hotcoupe 09-29-2017 07:43 AM

Dave, for all of the electrically challenged people out here, can you be a little more specific as to what type, size, value capacitor to purchase.
Thanx,
Tom

Lawson Cox 09-29-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotcoupe (Post 1533406)
Dave, for all of the electrically challenged people out here, can you be a little more specific as to what type, size, value capacitor to purchase.
Thanx,
Tom

]Yeah Dave. Would appreciate it. I assume that is the big cylindrical thingie that you see soldered inside the horn. LOL

flatheadmurre 09-29-2017 02:18 PM

What you´re looking for is something intended as snubber.
But since it´s DC it can be a RC unit or a pure capacitor or a diode...ok i know im not helping..lol
So if using a diode it has to be able to handle the same current as the horn draws so will be quite a big one...not a first choice then.
RC snubber a resistor and a capacitor in series a good choice and perhaps why its longer then usual...
Im off to a swapmeet tomorrow...can try and dig out a horn for disection sunday if no one else solved it before.

34billct 09-30-2017 12:58 PM

I believe it is a .05mfd 600v also i am looking for part 14 F of the service notes (tests for horn) It is for tone adjustment, its not in the reprints of the service notes nor in Page's book. Thanks Bill

hope 09-30-2017 01:14 PM

Ditto on the routine Lawson,seems to be a standard for us older Geeeezers.

Dave Slater 09-30-2017 05:03 PM

Yep it's that black round thingy held down by one screw. Part number B-13814. The value of the capacitor is .2 mfd 250wdv and works on all Ford horns 1932 to 1947. If this makes sense - the armature gap = the point gap which equals the desired sound. The gap between the housing and the anvil should be .22 to .25 what you will have to do is extend the legs of the capacitor as they are to short to reach the terminals on the horn. If you Email me I will send photo [email protected]

koates 09-30-2017 07:04 PM

Yep, what Dave Slater says is correct. I have an original Sparton horns shop manual and it states the capacitor is .2mfd at around 400 volts rating. Some horns had a wire wound resistor of 3 ohms, but I would use the capacitor. I have tested quite a few Ford Sparton horn capacitors and every one has been faulty or useless. Need to fit a new one. They are on ebay from china for a dollar or so. Regards, Kevin.

hotcoupe 10-01-2017 07:24 AM

Dave & koates, Thanx I appreciate the information.
Tom