The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for a little help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229491)

tagroff 09-19-2017 06:14 AM

Looking for a little help

Thanks Ahead of time for any help you can give me... 1928 RPU I can start it just fine and after it runs for about 15 minutes and I shut it off it refuses to start..Go out the next morning it fires right up..any ideas what might be wrong

Big hammer 09-19-2017 06:34 AM

Re: Looking for a little help

Sorry we need a little help! Is it no fuel? Or no spark? Then we can make an educated guess

Clem Clement 09-19-2017 07:26 AM

weak coil.

NCRebel 09-19-2017 08:51 AM

There may be grit blocking the fuel shut off valve at the tank.

mike657894 09-19-2017 08:52 AM

After it sits check the plugs before you start it. Then again after it wont run. If the plugs are wet determine if the wetness is fuel or water. Water is leaky head gasket. Fuel is a non spark issue. Coil is the easiest just toss it in fix. I did that when mine was a 15 min car and it still was a 15 min car and needed a head gasket. But your not too put out having a new coil on your car. Lack of fuel issues will leave you with dry plugs. Also in my opinion people dont clean their carbs enough these days so your no worse off getting a good cleaning of your carb and fuel filters.

heneste 09-19-2017 11:27 AM

Should also try to restart the car after 15 minutes but with the gas cap off. If the cap isn't venting, it will restrict the fuel flow to the carb and if that's the issue, you only need to replace the gas cap.

100IH 09-19-2017 01:53 PM

Only pull out the choke for about 1-2 engine revolutions and when cold. With a warm engine (15 min.) avoid the choke to see what happens. Easy to over-do.

Big hammer 09-19-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1529083)
Sorry we need a little help! Is it no fuel? Or no spark? Then we can make an educated guess

When it dies pull the coil wire and hold it 1/4 from a head nut while turning over your engine. If you get a blue spark it's good !
When it dies pull the choke and hold it while you crank the engine, if you get fuel dripping out of the carburetor throat, you got fuel !
Sorry for my earlier short post, work interrupted me :-(

Rainmaker Ron 09-20-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1529098)
weak coil.

Clem nailed it! Starts cold, won't start hot, ignition. Make sure coil polarity is correct and coil is correct for system voltage, The condenser will also start cold and not hot but the condenser seldom fails.
Rainmaker Ron

FRANK PKNY 09-20-2017 04:14 PM

You need to isolate the problem, spark? or fuel? Then it's much easier to determine where the problem lies. Clem most likely has it correct. Coil or condenser if the problem is in the spark.