The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Exhaust Noise - Legislation - SEMA (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303345)

KULTULZ 09-04-2021 03:06 AM

Exhaust Noise - Legislation - SEMA

Quote:

Fortunately for enthusiasts and the supporting marketplace, SAN staff have been successful thus far in killing or amending any onerous proposals before they become law. Why? The SAN's position on exhaust noise is well established. For decades, the SAN has successfully worked to ensure that states enact reasonable muffler noise laws that are not burdensome to the hobby while not creating a nuisance for local communities.

Successfully enacted in states such as California, Maine, and Montana, SEMA's model bill sets one exhaust noise limit (95-decibels) and uses an objective test procedure (SAE J1492) to determine compliance. The more states that enact the bill, the easier it is to get others to do the same.

Has your home state enacted the SAN's exhaust noise model bill? To learn more, visit semaSAN.com/Noise to find out.
SEMA - https://www.semasan.com/driving-forc...ctors-dispatch

KULTULZ 09-04-2021 04:28 AM

Re: Exhaust Noise - Legislation - SEMA

- SEMA - Protection of Motorsports Act of 2021 (RPM ACT)

* Street vehicles—cars, trucks, and motorcycles—can't be converted into racecars according to the EPA.

* The EPA has announced that enforcement against high performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority.

* Even if you are one of the hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts who contacted Congress in the past, we need your support again!

Tell the bureaucrats in Washington that race-cars are off limits!

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

Bob/Pa 09-04-2021 08:00 AM

I remember Pennsylvania tried to curb noise back in 50's by checking mufflers during inspection. They also gave out tickets when pulled over but they were usally easy to get out of since police didn't have meters to prove noise.

KULTULZ 09-04-2021 08:30 AM

Sound Level Engine Speed Sweep Method J1492

Quote:

- Measurement of Light Vehicle Stationary Exhaust System Sound Levels -

This SAE Recommended Practice establishes the test procedure, environment, and instrumentation to be used for measuring the exterior exhaust sound level for passenger cars, multipurpose vehicles, and light trucks under stationary conditions providing a continuous measure of exhaust system sound level over a range of engine speeds.
SOURCE - https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j1492_200810/

Dobie Gillis 09-04-2021 08:59 AM

The Department of Busy Bodies is alive and well. God save us from the do gooders.

55blacktie 09-04-2021 09:57 AM

The noisiest vehicles in my town, with very few exceptions, were manufactured within the last 20 years, and all but some diesels have to be smog-certified biannually. A lot of loud mufflers and exhaust cut-outs are being sold. I don't know how they get away with it.

We have too many bad-doers, and I'm not just talking about car hobbyists. My neighbor's body would be rotting inside his house, if it were not for a couple of those "do gooders."

5851a 09-04-2021 01:51 PM

Lot of very loud trucks around here and yet when on the high way some of the big trucks are whisper quiet.

Dobie Gillis 09-04-2021 02:37 PM

"My neighbor's body would be rotting inside his house, if it were not for a couple of those "do gooders."

That's not being a do-gooder, that's being a decent human being.

do-good·er
/ˈdo͞oˌɡo͝odər/
noun
plural noun: do-gooders
a well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.

Busy Body: an officious or interfering person

"That busybody across the street is always telling me how to tend to my own garden."

KULTULZ 09-10-2021 06:28 AM

What puzzles me is few give a shiat as to what is coming.

SOURCE - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic158304.aspx

5851a 09-10-2021 08:13 AM

Yes this could be bad, they could bend and twist rules to suit there self serving needs. They should be worried about all the pollution from wild fires instead of a few people trying to build a hobby racer.

Dobie Gillis 09-10-2021 08:50 AM

If they're going after the racers now you can bet the ranch we antique/classic car hobbyists are next.

KULTULZ 09-11-2021 02:01 AM

It is referred to as CARPET BOMBING -

Quote:

EPA, through its direct implementation authority, can play a critical role in addressing these important pollutant sources. Title II of the Clean Air Act (CAA) authorizes the EPA to set standards applicable to emissions from a variety of vehicles and engines. Required emission controls often include filters and catalysts installed in the vehicle’s or engine’s exhaust system, as well as calibrations that manage fueling strategy and other operations in the engine itself. The CAA prohibits tampering with emissions controls, as well as manufacturing, selling, and installing aftermarket devices intended to defeat those controls.

The EPA has found numerous companies and individuals that have manufactured and sold both hardware and software specifically designed to defeat required emissions controls on vehicles and engines used on public roads as well as on non-road vehicles and engines. Illegally-modified vehicles and engines contribute substantial excess pollution that harms public health and impedes efforts by the EPA, tribes, states, and local agencies to plan for and attain air quality standards.
SOURCE - https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nati...es-and-engines

The companies mentioned were in blatant violation of the law, period. You see these monster diesel pickup trucks everyday.

But this is leading to an over-reach whereby hobby/historic vehicles will be affected in the future.

I fully understand the needs for emissions law. I also understand trying to modify/defeat emissions systems on cars. But this is leading to the same situations that were encountered years ago with mechanical emission systems and not being able to legally modify a street car without a parts CARB EXEMPTION.

The reason for not being able to modify a street car for RACING USE ONLY is a method of them controlling any modification(s) to an emission system on a street driven car.

KULTULZ 09-11-2021 03:16 AM

- California Air Research Board -

- CARB Compliant States -

Rodrelic 09-11-2021 06:04 PM

My late solverodo is a tiny 3.0, uses DEF. Never smelled it, can’t see it, avg. 26 mpg. Yanks the trailer along good, no reason to piss with me. But somebody will.

Daves55Sedan 09-11-2021 08:40 PM

Huh....the motorcycles around here are 10 times noisier than any street cars I've ever heard, even the ones with blown out mufflers.
My 55 Ford car with 292 and dual exhaust has straight thru design glass-packs and is nowhere near as noisy as any of these motorcycles.

KULTULZ 09-16-2021 05:53 PM

just a brief synopsis -

the below is from a speed parts manufacturer -

Quote:

this part is legal for sale and use on uncontrolled (non-emissions controlled) vehicles and racing use only vehicles.

The following vehicles are considered uncontrolled (non-emissions controlled) vehicles:

1965 and older u.s. Manufactured california certified vehicles
1967 and older u.s. Manufactured federally certified vehicles
1967 and older foreign manufactured vehicle

the following vehicles are considered racing use only vehicles:

racing use only vehicles are vehicles that are used exclusively for competition and that are not registered and that may never be used on the street

warning: It is against the law to install this part on an emissions controlled vehicle

the following vehicles are considered emissions controlled vehicles:

1966 and newer u.s. Manufactured California certified vehicles
1968 and newer u.s. Manufactured federally certified vehicles
1968 and newer foreign manufactured vehicle

I wish I knew why my browser has so much trouble with capitals on this site ... :confused:

5851a 09-16-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 2055590)
Huh....the motorcycles around here are 10 times noisier than any street cars I've ever heard, even the ones with blown out mufflers.
My 55 Ford car with 292 and dual exhaust has straight thru design glass-packs and is nowhere near as noisy as any of these motorcycles.

I call them 4 wheelers but modern call them side by sides. Well crap, bought 67 in 73 with open air cleaner, had new sheet metal gasket exhaust shields on manifold's and new head gaskets. Previous owner told me hard to start at 20-. Is Biden going to come looking for me? Not political rant but 50 years and 60K . Winchester and permits say no.

KULTULZ 09-17-2021 02:47 AM

Quote:

Is Biden going to come looking for me? Not political rant but 50 years and 60K . Winchester and permits say no.
Biden is not going to, he has a hard enough time finding the podium.

All of this is going to be a continual crackdown by the EPA.

And I wouldn't bring the issue of firearms into it as they are next, they know where you live and what you have in the house. Don't think just a WINCHESTER is going to hold off a swarm of RENO'S RAIDERS.

5851a 09-17-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2057365)
Biden is not going to, he has a hard enough time finding the podium.

All of this is going to be a continual crackdown by the EPA.

And I wouldn't bring the issue of firearms into it as they are next, they know where you live and what you have in the house. Don't think just a WINCHESTER is going to hold off a swarm of RENO'S RAIDERS.

Very true.

KULTULZ 09-18-2021 02:20 AM

I see (and understand somewhat) what the EPA is trying to do. But they are trying to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.

The three companies caught and cited were actively modifying EMISSION CONTROLS on vehicles. It is one thing to sell such parts but quite another to blatantly install on a tagged road vehicle.