The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flathead - Has anyone "split" the center exhaust port? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260156)

Ziggster 03-08-2019 05:01 AM

Flathead - Has anyone "split" the center exhaust port?

1 Attachment(s)
I posted this on HAMB, but so far no responses.
I was wondering if anyone has "split" the center exhaust port on a Ford flathead to give the appearance of four exhaust ports? The reason I ask is that the car I plan replicating has an air cooled V8 and runs the exhaust tubes to a large "collector" tube. Having just three exhaust tubes will likely result in most thinking I'm running a V6 which will result in lots of explaining. I also wonder if doing so would alter the exhaust note. This is still a ways off as part of my project, but I'm trying to nail down parts/cost/source.

Pic of exhaust on car I want to copy.

Ziggster 03-08-2019 05:03 AM

Re: Flathead - Has anyone "split" the center exhaust port?

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of exhaust adapter.

Henry Floored 03-08-2019 06:31 AM

I dig you car!

revkev6 03-08-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggster (Post 1734107)
I was wondering if anyone has "split" the center exhaust port on a Ford flathead to give the appearance of four exhaust ports? The reason I ask is that the car I plan replicating has an air cooled V8 and runs the exhaust tubes to a large "collector" tube. Having just three exhaust tubes will likely result in most thinking I'm running a V6 which will result in lots of explaining. I also wonder if doing so would alter the exhaust note. This is still a ways off as part of my project, but I'm trying to nail down parts/cost/source.

As a young kid I was charged with cleaning dads roadster when we took it anywhere. People would pour over it because it was different. Back in 1992 no one really did old style hotrods and fewer people knew what a flathead was. Many many people questioned why the car had four spark plugs and 3 exhaust ports. Skme would argue amongst themselves others would ask me. I couldn't help it and would come up with stories about how Henry Ford was a genius and installed spare cylinders so you could just swap over :D

jimTN 03-08-2019 07:58 AM

Is that an air cooled Chev in the pic?

Ziggster 03-08-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimTN (Post 1734132)
Is that an air cooled Chev in the pic?

No, it's a JAP 5.0 liter air-cooled V8 (60 hp). Made in the early 1900's for airships. Only three remain, and that one is the only one running. The other two are in museums. Richard Scaldwell is the owner, and he and his daughter race it regularly. Amazing design. Total loss oil lubrication system originally (since modified for racing regulations), open cam and timing gears.

34PKUP 03-08-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggster (Post 1734107)

Obviously being done just for the 'look' of 4 exhaust pipes.
An 'ARDUN' conversion would give you 4 pipes and make a lot more sense.

Ziggster 03-08-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34PKUP (Post 1734143)
Obviously being done just for the 'look' of 4 exhaust pipes.
An 'ARDUN' conversion would give you 4 pipes and make a lot more sense.

Sure, but my budget won't allow for that. I'm sticking with stk heads, intake, carb. Going for an ISKY 1007B cam, and a T5, but other than that, most of the car will be "period" correct, perhaps even with mechanical brakes. If 60 Hp is good for Richard, 100 Hp will be just fine for me.

rotorwrench 03-08-2019 09:24 AM

Run the exhaust out the top like a Cadillac V8. That's been done a time or too but it looks like crap for the street. There were other OHV heads besides the Ardun stuff but they are not easy to source.

itslow 03-08-2019 09:48 AM

Why are you using a flathead if the car you want to replicate has an OHV engine?

Use a Y-Block if that's the general look you're after. It has an exhaust port spacing similar to the engine shown.

51 MERC-CT 03-08-2019 10:06 AM

Maybe once you have your make-believe 4 port exhaust installed you could add a 4 carb. setup. :)

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=41111

Cool Hand Lurker 03-08-2019 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Make a log manifold that bolts directly to the block and take four pipes out of that. You could make the log portion a bit bigger than my drawing so it would hide the middle port.

RalphM 03-08-2019 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could just do like Ralph Malf’s hot rod on Happy Days. Put a set of Chevy pipes over the top of the flat head ones!

51 MERC-CT 03-08-2019 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1734215)
You could just do like Ralph Malf’s hot rod on Happy Days. Put a set of Chevy pipes over the top of the flat head ones!

Yep, #1-#2-#3 are connected, #4 is a dummy.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1552067142

RalphM 03-08-2019 01:09 PM

I don’t think any of them are being used, it looks like there are brackets bolted on the head holding them, and these just sit right on top of the existing flat head headers.

Tim Ayers 03-08-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1734231)
I don’t think any of them are being used, it looks like there are brackets bolted on the head holding them, and these just sit right on top of the existing flat head headers.

Correct. If you look just behind it, you can see a header attached the exhaust ports. It's just for drive-in looks on the show.

Honestly, the car was a true P.O.S. that was slapped together for the show.

51 MERC-CT 03-08-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1734231)

Agree that the unit is bolted to the head but this would be the way to go if a functioning unit is desired. Would just take some fabrication and eliminate having to Siamese the center tubes. And would probably still sound like a flathead.

Ziggster 03-08-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1734173)
Maybe once you have your make-believe 4 port exhaust installed you could add a 4 carb. setup. :)

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=41111

Yikes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1734215)

Interesting. Good to know I wasn't the first to ask the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1734223)
Yep, #1-#2-#3 are connected, #4 is a dummy.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1552067142

Had me fooled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker (Post 1734211)
Make a log manifold that bolts directly to the block and take four pipes out of that. You could make the log portion a bit bigger than my drawing so it would hide the middle port.

Thanks. Never thought of that. A lot more work but might work.

JSeery 03-08-2019 05:13 PM

So you don't want it to look like a v6, but you want it to look like a Chevy? Interesting. :)

Ziggster 03-08-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1734326)
So you don't want it to look like a v6, but you want it to look like a Chevy? Interesting. :)

What's a Chebby?