The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how many cars came with spare tire fender wells? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180868)

mike657894 10-22-2015 10:55 AM

how many cars came with spare tire fender wells?

how many cars came with spare tire fender wells?

DJ S 10-22-2015 11:31 AM

Re: how many cars came with spare tire fender wells?

This is something you would find in the judging standards... I'm going to take a guess at it.

I believe that side spares were a dealer option if you had it special requested it. For 28'-29' i believe the only body styles that came with a side spare were the pickup trucks (both open and closed cab). In 30'-31' it was pickup trucks (both open and closed cab), deluxe roadsters, deluxe phaetons, and deluxe tudors (?).

Charlie Stephens 10-22-2015 01:11 PM

Mike,

After reading DJ S's reply I am not sure I understand your question. Did you mean what body styles came with spare tire fender wells as standard or how many cars actually came with spare tire fender wells (like xx percent) from the factory? Of course all pickup trucks came with spare tire fender wells as there was no other place to put a spare tire in a pickup.

Charlie Stephens

Deluxe Delivery Don 10-22-2015 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ S (Post 1176554)
This is something you would find in the judging standards... I'm going to take a guess at it.

I believe that side spares were a dealer option if you had it special requested it. For 28'-29' i believe the only body styles that came with a side spare were the pickup trucks (both open and closed cab). In 30'-31' it was pickup trucks (both open and closed cab), deluxe roadsters, deluxe phaetons, and deluxe tudors (?).

Here is an ad that my grandfather posted in the Seattle Times in Sept. 1929 after his father suddenly pasted away. ( my Great Grandfather ) In the ad it states that the Town Sedan had dual side mounts . ( fender wells ) . I don't think we would ever find data that would support how many cars or trucks came with fender wells or rear mounted spares.

Slowplane 10-22-2015 09:16 PM

don't forget the woodies

mike657894 10-22-2015 10:11 PM

i just saw the wells in the catalog. and saw a lot of wells in image searches. my fordor has no wells.

burner31 10-23-2015 01:10 AM

Two...only two.
All the rest are photo-shop

DougVieyra 10-23-2015 01:18 AM

1 million, two hundred thousand, thirty seven. Plus the two exported to Rumania.

. . . . or was it . . . .

Tom Wesenberg 10-23-2015 06:53 AM

A lot of people in recent years have added the fender spare. They look good on certain models, but I'm glad my 28 Phaeton and 29 Tudor both have the original rear spare. The fender spare limits the door opening somewhat and is somewhat in the way when working under the hood.

Without build sheets or some factory records there is no way to know how many cars were originally built with fender spares.

Kevin in NJ 10-23-2015 07:52 AM

In the day, people who could afford it might go with 2 spare tires.

Tires were not made very good and those who traveled would have wanted the extra wheel ready to go.

The dealer was ready to make the car how you wanted it. For a price.

When you look at factory and dealer photos you rarely see colored wheels or side mounts. Those are almost always on the models that came with them. A great example is the 68C. I have seen a lot of original pictures of them. I have never seen an early photo with colored wheels or a sidemount.

mrraford 10-23-2015 08:40 AM

That is why I'm building my 68C as a 5 wheel car.

Marshall V. Daut 10-23-2015 09:11 AM

"DJ S" wrote:
"In 30'-31' it was pickup trucks (both open and closed cab), deluxe roadsters, deluxe phaetons, and deluxe tudors (?). "

Scratch the Deluxe Tudor from this list, but add the 400-A Convertible Sedan. Wheel wells were optional on the 1931 Deluxe Tudor (the ONLY year this body style was offered!). Don't forget about the exotic 1931 truck-type Model A's, such as the ultra-rare Town Car Delivery, of which only a handful were ever produced. Maybe 2?
Marshall

Steve Wastler 10-23-2015 03:54 PM

^^the post office department ordered the mail trucks to have passenger side spares...