The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1928 will not stay running (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271248)

rundmt123 10-20-2019 05:12 PM

1928 will not stay running

So just about complete with my restoration of a 1928 Leatherback. This forum has helped me greatly in the process and am facing another issue I am having trouble solving.

I got the car started twice now. Everything rebuild - engine, starter, generator, etc. The first time it ran but dies within a few minutes. Discovered I did not have the generator tight against the belt so figured it just discharged the battery. Fixed that and started it today. Seemed to be running okay so thought I'd take it for it's maiden voyage. The amp meter was showing the generator was putting out the right amperage. Horn sounded and I got the expected deflection of the amp meter. So down the road I went. About 1 mile or I hit the horn again and it barely sounded. The car then stalled and would not even crank.

So any ideas or advice would be helpful. All the systems seem to be working, so why would this be happening. Could it be a bad battery? Or someone else suggested my system was not grounded well enough?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jim/GA 10-20-2019 06:42 PM

Re: 1928 will not stay running

A Model A will run all day on a good battery without a working generator. That's a red herring. But a bad battery will die quickly. Have the battery checked.

If it seems like someone switched the ignition off, it's electrical. Did it backfire just before or as it died? That's unburned fuel getting ignited in the exhaust system.

Ignition condensers are known to be heat sensitive. After the engine runs for a few minutes and things get warm/hot, the condenser shorts out and the engine dies.

If the engine seems to lose power before it dies, it is running out of fuel.

Be systematic in your troubleshooting. Don't just start throwing parts at it.

rundmt123 10-20-2019 06:46 PM

Thanks Jim. You are 100% right. After coming so far with the car I was pretty discouraged. I will follow through on your suggestions.

eagle 10-20-2019 06:49 PM

Use a good quality voltmeter and take measurements on the battery. Before you start it, with it running, and after it quits. Then we can make a data driven recommendation for you. Without more info its going to be just guesses. Nothing worse than advice based on no real info.

jm29henry 10-20-2019 08:27 PM

I think something could be grounding out

Patrick L. 10-21-2019 08:58 AM

You say the ammeter is showing a charge when running. Without the engine running if you turn on the lights does it show a discharge ?

ArtimusGordon 10-21-2019 09:57 AM

If the engine dies after running a very short time you might have a gas cap that is NOT venting properly or at all. Loosen the gas cap or remove entirely and try running the engine. Easy fix if that’s the problem.

Jacksonlll 10-21-2019 10:03 AM

You say it would not even crank???? Better start there. Not much between the batt and the starter. Just cables. Put the car in third just to make sure the engine will turn. Good luck.

Tom Wesenberg 10-21-2019 12:58 PM

Put the battery on a long slow charge, like use a 6 amp charger for at least 8 hours on a discharged battery.
Lead/acid batteries can be ruined by leaving them discharged or running them to a deep discharge several times.