The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259020)

redmodelt 02-10-2019 03:06 PM

Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad

Ok so you wrote out a question, people have taken time to reply. Please take time to say thank you or if you still are having problems or that the solutions did the trick. I see a number of these happening.

If you place an ad, do not expect people just to call you. You need to watch your ad and watch your private messages. If the item has been sold, mark it so. Just because it drops out of site, look at the number of post that pulled up from years ago on the forum, does not mean people will not find it.

jm29henry 02-10-2019 03:09 PM

Re: Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad

Dido!!

F.M. 02-10-2019 04:38 PM

Re: Taking time to thank people or expecting people to call in regaurds to an ad

Ok, You ask a ?? You get three different answers, who do you reply to ?? All, None, Or pick one ??..

redmodelt 02-10-2019 07:12 PM

I don't care who you reply to or which answer to reply to just thank the people that help. True it would be nice to know what worked, but that is not the point. Many times a question is asked and there is dead air from the asker.

JRrev 02-10-2019 08:21 PM

It grinds me when I answer a parts wanted ad and I don't get the courtesy of a response. Usually, I've spent some time checking my part(s) first so I can give details. They don't have to buy but at least get back to me. Makes me not want to waste my time trying to help (rarely a money maker).

F.M. 02-10-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1725635)
I don't care who you reply to or which answer to reply to just thank the people that help. True it would be nice to know what worked, but that is not the point. Many times a question is asked and there is dead air from the asker.

I much rather have no answer at all than have one that is not correct, I tried it, it was wrong, it cost me a lot of time and $$.. That is the point ..

Railcarmover 02-10-2019 08:54 PM

You only get thanked if give him the answer he's looking for..with model a fords,the appreciation of the answer is directly tied to the cost of the solution.You'll always receive praise for a 50 cent solution to a 10 dollar problem,even if it doesn't solve the problem.

Purdy Swoft 02-11-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1725679)
You only get thanked if give him the answer he's looking for..with model a fords,the appreciation of the answer is directly tied to the cost of the solution.You'll always receive praise for a 50 cent solution to a 10 dollar problem,even if it doesn't solve the problem.

I have found that when I offer an easy less expensive repair , they often don't figure that it will really work . Its usually not worth the effort to offer a simple fix !!!

midgetracer 02-11-2019 03:59 PM

If you expect gratitude for some advice, you will most often be disappointed. What really bothers me is when someone wants a small part and you send it free (often picking up the freight) and the recipient does not even bother to tell you that they got the part. Again expecting something is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I still believe that generosity is a great way to participate in a forum.

hardtimes 02-12-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetracer (Post 1725968)
If you expect gratitude for some advice, you will most often be disappointed. What really bothers me is when someone wants a small part and you send it free (often picking up the freight) and the recipient does not even bother to tell you that they got the part. Again expecting something is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I still believe that generosity is a great way to participate in a forum.

I second your comments/sentiments !
I differ , now, in that I no longer give away parts, where you still believe .

Charlie Stephens 02-12-2019 12:42 PM

Be sure to say thanks with a PM or email. It is more personal and keeps the clutter off of the board.

Charlie Stephens

chap52 02-13-2019 07:33 AM

Manners.....a fading courtesy. Chap

Purdy Swoft 02-13-2019 10:37 AM

I agree, some have no manners or raising !!!