The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spare Tire Cover & Ring Installation (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109447)

jfcrash 06-19-2013 08:55 AM

Spare Tire Cover & Ring Installation

1 Attachment(s)
I need guidance on how to install the spare tire cover and ring on the spare tire without scratching the cover… I assume it’s done with the spare mounted on the car.

I have attached the cover to the tire with a string to hold it in place…after that it looks scary …I would be appreciative of all suggestions. Thank you Jim

blucar 06-19-2013 09:38 AM

Re: Spare Tire Cover & Ring Installation

It would appear that you are dealing with a '35 open face cover, in lieu of the full face '36 cover.
It has been awhile since I had to install a spare tire cover, from memory I'll offer the following suggestion.
1. Place the outer ring onto the tire, keeping same up on the tire tread, near the edge.
2. Place the face cover onto the tire.. Hold the face cover with one hand while grabbing the outer ring with the other had.. Carefully work the outer ring over the face cover..
The '36 covers are easier to mount because the face cover locks to the inner portion of the wheel.. This helps to hold it in place while the outer ring is positioned over the face cover..
Lowering the tire pressure, to near flat, can make the job a little easier.. Re-inflate the tire after the cover is installed..

ken ct 06-19-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfcrash (Post 673495)
I need guidance on how to install the spare tire cover and ring on the spare tire without scratching the cover… I assume it’s done with the spare mounted on the car.

I have attached the cover to the tire with a string to hold it in place…after that it looks scary …I would be appreciative of all suggestions. Thank you Jim

After having a flat tire at nite in the rain,i decided to eliminate the hard cover on my 36. I installed a vinal tire cover in a matching color to the rumble seat from i think a model "A" Vendor that was quite a few yrs ago in 16" size. Looks good and easielly comes off an on. No more hassels with that. lol ken ct.

Willit Stop 06-19-2013 11:06 AM

Jim...If your cover is similar to the full cover on my 36,there should be a seal/bead that is installed around the edge and slips into the little groove.It's a real pain getting it in but minimizes the chance of scratching that new paint.

keith oh 06-19-2013 11:15 AM

I also am very apprehensive that the tiny little key will break that is used to remove my 35 spare tire hub cap. If it should break off will ruin your day.

FL&WVMIKE 06-19-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith oh (Post 673549)
I also am very apprehensive that the tiny little key will break that is used to remove my 35 spare tire hub cap. If it should break off will ruin your day.

KEITH OH ........................
I have discovered that if you put some pressure on the face of the locking hubcap, it lessens the pressure that it takes for the key to turn the lock.
MIKE :)

jfcrash 06-19-2013 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good news and bad news...

Blucar, your procedure worked just fine and no scratches...Thank you.

But I just uncovered a new problem this afternoon...this restored ring is to narrow, it sits well on the deflated tire but by being narrow, it does not over hang the cover and the cover slips off.

I have another ring and cover set in which the cover does not have any slits to accept the trim ring so I have assumed the set is from a '40s wagon.

It turns out both covers are the same size, but the rings are different. I tried on the second ring which has a larger circumference and is wider and it does over hang the painted cover…. so it looks like I will need to get the second ring painted for use.

Would anyone know that the dimensions of what the ‘35’s spare tire ring should be?
The one that doesn’t seem to fit has length of 85 ¼” and a width of 6 ¼”

The one that seams to fit better has a length of 86 ½” and a width of 6 5/8”

My tire size is 600-16

Thanks, Jim

Mike in AZ 06-19-2013 10:37 PM

according to the '35-'36 book, two tire rings were available, one for 6.00-16 and one for 6.50-16....so maybe that's the difference?...Mike