The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   35 ford radiator hoses too stiff. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245726)

B-nut 06-08-2018 04:23 AM

35 ford radiator hoses too stiff.

When replacing the radiator hoses last year the new red stripe hoses seemed more heavy duty and less flexible than last time I had installed a set. Now that my radiator started leaking at all four corners I wonder if these stiffer hoses are being tough on the radiator. Wouldn't more engine vibration be going to the radiator through them? Yes it is an 83 year old radiator but was fine until the new hoses went on. Now that it is back from the shop I am now considering finding some softer hose. Local parts store hose looks just as rugged. Are red stripe hoses junk? What are you guys using? Also how snug should the radiator mounting bolts and springs be?

alanwoodieman 06-08-2018 08:00 AM

Re: 35 ford radiator hoses too stiff.

red strip hoses last forever, but are a struggle to get on. I use a little silicon grease to help them slide over the outlets/inlets. rad solder does also work harden and will crack if you move it too much

petehoovie 06-08-2018 11:58 AM

After fighting the installation of those "red stripe" hoses made by 'Vintique', I elected to buy hose in bulk from NAPA for my '34 and I'm very pleased I did. Of course I had to cut the hose to the length required for the application which was no big deal. The NAPA hose material is very pliable and easy to install. The lack of a "red stripe" is of no importance to me.

Highboy34 06-08-2018 06:43 PM

.......an "It worked for me' suggestion. Years ago I helped restore a 39 LZ coupe. The owner had a set of NOS upper radiator hoses he wanted to use. They were hard as a rock, felt like they could be brittle, but he insisted. So I suspended them in a large pail of water on the stove. I heated the water very slowly to about 160 degrees and lifted them out. They were soft and pliable, not flexible, but they responded to hand pressure fine. Original thermostats were installed into them and they're still on the car without any problems to this day, some twenty years later.

34billct 06-08-2018 07:48 PM

Speedway has some nice silicone hose that i have used,easy to work and comes in 6" and 12" length

Gary Tosel 06-08-2018 08:40 PM

A friend of mine ordered the red stripe hoses from Bob Drake and they are flexible and do not leak. He did have a set from Vitique, but they did not work very well at all.

I also ordered a set from Bob Drake for my 36 Ford with a 24 stud 38 engine that also seem to be soft and flexible. I have not installed them yet, but believe my friends success should also be mine.

Step-down 06-08-2018 08:48 PM

Just today same issue on my AV8 . Had the hardest time trying to get hose clamp snug so pipe wouldn't leak ....

ford38v8 06-09-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step-down (Post 1637998)
Just today same issue on my AV8 . Had the hardest time trying to get hose clamp snug so pipe wouldn't leak ....

All hose clamps should be installed with the screw facing the most accessible position. This means not only turning the clamp, but flipping top for bottom, depending on location.

Then also, they will all leak until you bring the engine to operating temperature, and only then snug up the clamps. Don't forget to shut off the engine before snugging the clamps!

Kube 06-09-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 1638235)
All hose clamps should be installed with the screw facing the most accessible position. This means not only turning the clamp, but flipping top for bottom, depending on location.

Then also, they will all leak until you bring the engine to operating temperature, and only then snug up the clamps. Don't forget to shut off the engine before snugging the clamps!

I tend to apply Indian Head Shellac to all hose fittings. makes a very good seal and when it's time to remove the hoses, there is no issue...