The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tight choke rods (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241600)

Clem Clement 03-27-2018 05:20 PM

Tight choke rods

I have new choke/throttle cables the previous owner installed. They are very tight. Tight enough that one of the knobs was pulled off. I've removed the carb end and the carb parts operate fine. I have lubed both the solid ends of each cable pull. I had rubbed the cable with oil hoping some will ooze thru the cable. I halve checked for cable kinks. no help.

petehoovie 03-27-2018 06:38 PM

Re: Tight choke rods

Rods or cables??? What year car?

Check you front motor mounts. Are they collapsed/worn? I recall replacing the front motor mounts on my '37 and when the installation was done, my throttle and choke knobs were sticking out about a half inch away from the face of the dash. I had to shorten the rods....

Clem Clement 03-27-2018 07:24 PM

Mounts are new as well.

How does the cable sheath attach to the dash. I can't see it I thought I might try and remove the whole cable where I could work on it better.

V12Bill 03-27-2018 07:46 PM

My '39 has rods, not cables. Maybe the PO replaced the rods with cables. My throttle rod is very loose. I would like to tighten it up so that when I pull it out, it stays out. The choke rod is OK

petehoovie 03-27-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V12Bill (Post 1610615)
My '39 has rods, not cables. Maybe the PO replaced the rods with cables. My throttle rod is very loose. I would like to tighten it up so that when I pull it out, it stays out. The choke rod is OK

Sounds like you need a new rubber grommet insert placed in the dash where the rod comes through....

keith oh 03-28-2018 11:28 AM

Get some CA glue (Cyanoacrylate) at local Hobby shop,( or Family Dollar Store,) much cheaper. put a drop iIN the knob and replace. It won't come off any more. Be careful and don't get the glue on any thing else including the outside of the knob.

drolston 03-28-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1610556)
I have new choke/throttle cables the previous owner installed. They are very tight. Tight enough that one of the knobs was pulled off. I've removed the carb end and the carb parts operate fine. I have lubed both the solid ends of each cable pull. I had rubbed the cable with oil hoping some will ooze thru the cable. I halve checked for cable kinks. no help.

Check to be sure that the clamp that holds the cable housing at the firewall is not misaligned and not putting crushing force on the cable housing. Spray the entire length of cable with WD40 or Gibson. Also some on the rod with the knobs pulled all the way out. Wiggle and bend the cable a little along the full length. Spray it again and wait a day.

Clem Clement 03-28-2018 07:29 PM

thanks