The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Copper head gasket or best Kevlar? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253856)

37 Coupe 10-28-2018 09:29 AM

Copper head gasket or best Kevlar?

Am I correct in thinking that the Model A engine was built using copper head gaskets? I never had much luck with copper on a couple V8 Ford engines so I thought I would go with the Best gasket that Brattons sells,Kevlar and graphite. Anyone successfully use this gasket? I am having second thoughts because of a post from an experienced engine rebuilder who uses only copper.Brattons sells a Felpro copper gasket but only says it has a gray material in the middle not what kind.A better copper gasket available preferably USA?

katy 10-28-2018 09:49 AM

Re: Copper head gasket or best Kevlar?

Back in the '50s I did a LOT of work on flathead V8s, the available head gaskets were either copper clad or steel clad. We always used the copper clad ones with no sealer and never had a problem. You have to be sure that both the head and the block are perfectly clean and that the gasket is installed w/the proper side up.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-28-2018 11:21 AM

More info on the Ford Garage.
Home page http://www.fordgarage.com/

Head Gasket info http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABcy...asketguide.htm
Do not see info on a solid copper gasket. Has info on what was originally used.

Jim Brierley 10-28-2018 11:45 AM

I prefer copper as they are easier to remove and can often be re-used. I've never had a problem with them sealing. Best makes their #509 in copper or some kind of material that works well but is a pain to scrape off when changing heads.

Y-Blockhead 10-28-2018 12:03 PM

The Secrets of Speed Society recommends the Best Graphtite gaskets with no sealant. I have never had a problem with these gaskets either with Y-Blocks or Model As. They recommend 55 ft lbs max.

http://www.secretsofspeed.com/gaskets.htm

john in illinois 10-28-2018 02:43 PM

Whichever Best gasket you use,they reccomend copper coat spray. I use the grapftite on my A and Flathead.

John

MAG 10-28-2018 05:44 PM

Back when Brumfield was making heads he would not honor warranty if any head gasket was used other than the Copper FelPro 7013.

Tom Wesenberg 10-28-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG (Post 1690369)
Back when Brumfield was making heads he would not honor warranty if any head gasket was used other than the Copper FelPro 7013.

And I agree with Larry.

katy 10-29-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Do not see info on a solid copper gasket
Don't think that I've ever heard of a solid copper head gasket. If there was one it would have to be pretty soft copper.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-29-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1690564)
Don't think that I've ever heard of a solid copper head gasket. If there was one it would have to be pretty soft copper.

Thanks for correcting me, was a misunderstanding on my part from a long ago previous post.

P.S. 10-29-2018 10:54 AM

I recently installed a Best brand kevlar (they call it graphite) head gasket on a Model A. I followed all directions exactly. No water seepage, however when pulling a hill in 3rd gear at 45 MPH or so, the combustion gasses are getting into coolant and blowing the water out the radiator overflow.

Yes, I have re-torqued it (read above where I followed ALL directions). The block/head are flat.

Going back to copper gaskets. No problem with those.

37 Coupe 10-29-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1690603)
I recently installed a Best brand kevlar (they call it graphite) head gasket on a Model A. I followed all directions exactly. No water seepage, however when pulling a hill in 3rd gear at 45 MPH or so, the combustion gasses are getting into coolant and blowing the water out the radiator overflow.

Yes, I have re-torqued it (read above where I followed ALL directions). The block/head are flat.

Kinda what I wanted to hear or didn't want to hear. Copper sprayed with Ultra Copper? I only want to do this once.

Dick Steinkamp 10-29-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1690603)

Are you sure that is what is happening? Have you had the coolant checked by a radiator shop for combustion gasses? Could it be the motor is getting a little hotter pulling the hill, the water warms up a little more and expands a little more and comes out the overflow?

30 Closed Cab PU 10-29-2018 05:14 PM

Could also do radiator exhaust test yourself. $45 dollar Napa Block test kit.

Radiator issue? -How old is it?
- Has it been flushed and back flushed recently?
- Empty it, block the upper and lower openings, should hold 1 1/2 gallons.
- Could be partially plugged or if old fins not making good contact with tubes.
- How old is the radiator, fins/inch, rows ?.
- When run and and stop/turn off, does it burp coolant? (running hot?)

1crosscut 10-29-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Coupe (Post 1690728)
Kinda what I wanted to hear or didn't want to hear. Copper sprayed with Ultra Copper? I only want to do this once.

When using the spray type copper products on head gaskets I do three light coats and allow plenty of time between coats to let the solvents flash off making it very tacky.

P.S. 10-29-2018 09:47 PM

I know you guys are just trying to be helpful, and I thank you.

However, I am most positive that it is combistion gases blowing into the coolant. No question. That is fact. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said it.

Fordbarn forum can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. Someone comes on here and says their steering is loose and there is always someone quick to tell them their timing is off.

quickchange 10-29-2018 10:21 PM

We produce a copper one that is sealed around outside edge so no weeping down the block , can also be used on B engines too . Wet & cold in NZ plus 6.7 earth quake few mins ago.

Gary WA 10-29-2018 10:48 PM

Copper!!!! Larry Brumfield knows!!!

Bruce of MN 10-30-2018 04:25 AM

I sure wish there was a firm consensus!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251825

katy 10-30-2018 08:22 AM

To each their own.