The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   12 colors available in 1940 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258490)

skidmarks 01-31-2019 10:51 AM

12 colors available in 1940

Listed are the 12 color options for 1940 fords....Colors included Acadia Green, Black, Claret Maroon, Cloud Mist Gray, Como Blue, Cotswold Gray, Folkstone Gray, Garnet Maroon, Lyon Blue, Mandarin Maroon, Sahara Sand and Yosemite Green.

Was white ever an option? My guess is no other then maybe a fleet repaint for a business

Could anything be ordered in a color other the the 12 listed from a dealer in 1940?

Kube 01-31-2019 11:33 AM

Re: 12 colors available in 1940

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarks (Post 1722019)
Listed are the 12 color options for 1940 fords....Colors included Acadia Green, Black, Claret Maroon, Cloud Mist Gray, Como Blue, Cotswold Gray, Folkstone Gray, Garnet Maroon, Lyon Blue, Mandarin Maroon, Sahara Sand and Yosemite Green.

Was white ever an option? My guess is no other then maybe a fleet repaint for a business

Could anything be ordered in a color other the the 12 listed from a dealer in 1940?

I'm not certain where you obtained your list from. I'm guessing a color chip page?
Be aware that many of the colors you've listed were NOT 1940 Ford.
And no, white was not offered.

skidmarks 01-31-2019 12:03 PM

That's was just a google search. I never seen a white one and figured that it wasnt available.

Do you have a correct list of the available colors?

19Fordy 01-31-2019 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
"Kube" hit a homerun. Plus, I am pretty sure some 2 tone colors were available on some cars late in the year. I have seen photos of coupes with Folkstone Grey body with what looks like maroon color fenders. Like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=were...ArBkYpGs4R1WM:

skidmarks 01-31-2019 12:17 PM

So you could get custom color options on commercial vehicles but not passanger cars

philipswanson 01-31-2019 12:28 PM

Is there a good (accurate) color chart on line for the 40?

19Fordy 01-31-2019 12:39 PM

Apparently so, as suggested in The V-8 Album above. I bet "Kube" knows for sure.

Kube 01-31-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarks (Post 1722062)
So you could get custom color options on commercial vehicles but not passanger cars

I have never seen one bit of documentation that might even suggest you could get custom colors on passenger vehicles.

Kube 01-31-2019 01:04 PM

1940 Fords were offered in a number of colors. The DeLuxe models were available in Black, Lyon Blue, Folkestone Gray, Mandarin Maroon, Cloud Mist Gray and Yosemite Green through the entire production. In April, 1940 a “Spring Color”, Garnet Maroon, became available for the DeLuxe models. Wheels were painted to match body color on all DeLuxe models.
The Ford V8 models were available in Black, Lyon Blue and Cloud Mist Gray through the entire production. Wheels were painted black on all Ford V8 models. However, as an extra cost option, the wheels could have been painted Lyon Blue or Cloud Mist Gray, to match the body color.
DeLuxe colors, with the exception of Garnet Maroon were available on the Ford V8 models as an extra cost option.
Domestic branches were advised by telegram on May 1, 1940 that special color combinations were being furnished. It appears these combinations were available on both the DeLuxe models as well as the Ford V8 models. Introduced at this time was an additional paint color, Acadia Green, offered only as part of a combination.
Combinations offered were:
Folkestone Gray body with Black fender and grille sides.
Folkestone Gray body with Mandarin Maroon fenders and grille sides.
Mandarin Maroon body with Folkestone Gray fenders and grille sides.
Cloud Mist Gray body with Acadia Green fenders and grille sides.
In order to procure one of these specially painted vehicles the following accessories were required to be ordered and installed:
License plate frames, fender shields, fuel tank locking cap, visor vanity mirror, oil bath air filter, oil filter, seat covers or leather upholstery, Ford script white sidewall tires, wheel covers and one or two outside mirrors.

Joe31 01-31-2019 01:15 PM

I have 2 color charts for ford lincoln mercury 1940. any interest pm me

Anteek29 01-31-2019 01:16 PM

Kube: Thank you for sharing that comprehensive color info! :)

19Fordy 01-31-2019 01:56 PM

Yes Kube, Thanks.

DavidG 01-31-2019 04:14 PM

Mike,

Like yourself, I like to keep things simple when it comes to documentation. But, life is not always simple. I've never looked at any Company letters to the assembly plants after the '39 model year, but in each of the eight preceding model years' letters there is normally a lengthy letter pertaining to paint for fleet customers. In those letters, depending on the size of the fleet, the sky was the limit when it came to paint colors available to fleets, including right down to complete chassis being painted other than black. (The fleet customer could even furnish their own paint subject to its approval for use by Ford engineering.) And those letters also cover cars as well as commercial vehicles and trucks. Further, a fleet was defined as a group of vehicles as low as six in number.

No doubt you've encountered some photos in the archives showing extreme examples of fleet vehicles' paint jobs with colors that in no way came from the list of standard commercial vehicles.

So perhaps we need to leave the door open just a tiny crack in case someone shows up on the concourse with documented proof that their '40 coupe or sedan was originally part of the XYZ Company fleet and painted in the documented company colors, none of which appear on the standard list.

Kube 01-31-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1722165)
Mike,

Like yourself, I like to keep things simple when it comes to documentation. But, life is not always simple. I've never looked at any Company letters to the assembly plants after the '39 model year, but in each of the eight preceding model years' letters there is normally a lengthy letter pertaining to paint for fleet customers. In those letters, depending on the size of the fleet, the sky was the limit when it came to paint colors available to fleets, including right down to complete chassis being painted other than black. (The fleet customer could even furnish their own paint subject to its approval for use by Ford engineering.) And those letters also cover cars as well as commercial vehicles and trucks. Further, a fleet was defined as a group of vehicles as low as six in number.

No doubt you've encountered some photos in the archives showing extreme examples of fleet vehicles' paint jobs with colors that in no way came from the list of standard commercial vehicles.

So perhaps we need to leave the door open just a tiny crack in case someone shows up on the concourse with documented proof that their '40 coupe or sedan was originally part of the XYZ Company fleet and painted in the documented company colors, none of which appear on the standard list.

Dave, I can't bring forward an intelligent argument with you.
I did find documentation that clearly advised fleet colors were available on '40 commercial vehicles. A "fleet" being a minimum of five in 1940.
And yes, I have documents that clearly advise chassis' being painted per the client's desire.
And yes once again, I have and will leave that proverbial door open that maybe, just maybe, a '40 was painted (i.e.) purple at the factory as part of a fleet purchase.
What I won't accept on the concourse (this happened) is a guy claiming that the bright red on his coupe was part of a fleet purchase authentically and as such no deduction should be in order.
While there's a chance that (factory bright red) may have happened, as you know, the proof of such is required at the time of judging - the burden upon the owner.

Tinker 02-01-2019 12:36 AM

Wimbledon didn't start till the 60's (which was a off white). Cream colors as far as I know and prefer.

So ford did custom colors to order in 1940? I know they list colors that are only highlights and pins. So could you order a car with a pinstripe paint color?

Tinker 02-01-2019 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is every color from 1928-36. Including accent colors. 1937 on..no idea. curious.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1548999834

1931 flamingo 02-01-2019 02:40 PM

I'd love to see a picture of the visor vanity mirror.............
Paul in CT

Ken/Alabama 02-01-2019 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1722442)
I'd love to see a picture of the visor vanity mirror.............
Paul in CT

This is the one in my 39 Zephyr but it's the same as Ford.

1931 flamingo 02-02-2019 09:09 AM

Thanks Ken.
Paul

Brant 05-22-2019 02:11 PM

As the OP mentions, Como Blue is often mentioned in various online sources as being an original color on a 1940 Ford.

According to other posters here, Como Blue was not a '40 Ford color.

Was Como Blue a Mercury only color? If so, was it only used in 1940?

Thank you.