The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Camshaft Plunger !!!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249593)

IndyA 08-13-2018 07:19 PM

Camshaft Plunger !!!!

I'm trying to help a friend "reassemble" his Dad's '31 Murray sedan. The motor has been out of the car for years. He has reinstalled the engine and took the time to put a new timing gear in it. Yesterday, on the first attempt (in years) to start the engine... it fired right-off but with a very loud noise (according to his telephone description). I'm suspecting he did not grease the Camshaft Plunger ( Les Andrews failed to mention this !!) and my question to you experts ... can the timing cover be removed without removing the radiator? ... I think there's about 10 bolts if you include those from the oil pan. AND what kind of grease do you recommend to "lather" the plunger with ???

Many thanks.. I love this site !!!! IndyA

Gary WA 08-13-2018 07:29 PM

Re: Camshaft Plunger !!!!

Yes on removal, but you will have to support the engine to remove front motor mount bolts, and Generator removal, have to put on new gasket on cover. can be done tho! some good mystic red grease.

Tom Wesenberg 08-13-2018 10:29 PM

Try some heat and cool cycles first. I had the same thing with a customer's car that someone else overhauled the engine and didn't lube the plunger. It made a squeal that scared me until I figured out what it was. After several heat and cool cycles the noise finally quit.

J Franklin 08-13-2018 10:45 PM

Doesn't the oil pump throw oil over the cam gear? I thought that is where the valve chamber empties.

Tom Wesenberg 08-13-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1663005)
Doesn't the oil pump throw oil over the cam gear? I thought that is where the valve chamber empties.

Yes it does, but for some reason, even with the X recess in the plunger, it takes some time for the oil to coat the plunger.

katy 08-14-2018 09:31 AM

I would try removing the side cover and squirt some oil onto the plunger.

Bob Bidonde 08-14-2018 09:31 AM

I have had the experience of a new plunger making a high pitched squeal. There is no need to take the covers off:
1. The squeal will go away as motor oil gets into the plunger;
2. Spray motor oil through the timing pin hole in lieu of removing the covers.

James Rogers 08-15-2018 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1663005)

Actually, no. Some oil is sprayed over the front dam to lube the cam gears but the majority of the excess oil in the valve chamber is returned to the pan VIA the return tube on the side of the motor. This excess oil return is where the rods get most of their oil for lubrication. If the noise is more than a high pitch squeel and persists, you may have more problems in some other place. Engines that have been left sitting for extended times after running will have more problems than expected. This is because, the oiling system is so different than modern engines with pressure oiling. Caution when starting an engine that has sit for an extended time.

katy 08-15-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Spray motor oil through the timing pin hole in lieu of removing the covers.
Good idea

Kurt in NJ 08-15-2018 10:55 AM

Over fill it by 2 quarts, oil will splash everywhere---- and some will leak out, then make a fast stop