The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Workings of the Dash Light.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256964)

Marcus 01-01-2019 09:03 PM

Workings of the Dash Light....

Gentlemen and Ladies: my Andrews book(s) are on loan for a restoration project, and I am unable to properly research - hence my question: the dash light on Ol' Clyde (29 CCPU) flashed momentarily when I pulled it on, but that was apparently a "death signal" and I cannot recall the steps (nor the bulb designation) for replacement. Anyone care to provide guidance?

Synchro909 01-01-2019 10:23 PM

Re: Workings of the Dash Light....

As I recall, if you twist the light cover anticlockwise a bit you can remove it, then you ave access to the globe. The way you guys number your globes is a complete mystery to me so I'll leave that.

Benson 01-02-2019 12:38 AM

If 6 volt .... Should be # 63 bulb.

Same same license plate bulb.

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-02-2019 07:44 AM

A brighter bulb lights up EVERYTHING, but when you turn off the chrome cover, it'll BURN the crap of you!!! You gotta' be QUICK!
Bill Emergencyroom

29closedcabguy 01-02-2019 08:02 AM

It's the same 6cp bulb as tail light bulb. Cover removed counter clockwise then it pulls out if 28 29 early 30 type.

Jim/GA 01-02-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1711729)
A brighter bulb lights up EVERYTHING, but when you turn off the chrome cover, it'll BURN the crap of you!!! You gotta' be QUICK!
Bill Emergencyroom

Yup!

Which is why I use a 12 volt tail light bulb (3 cp) in the dash light of my 6 volt Model A!

It gives a nice glow at night on the instruments, not too bright in your eyes while driving, and not so hot to touch. I could never leave the regular bulb on for long because I did not like the bright light in my eyes while driving. The dimmer 12 volt bulb running on only 6 volts is much better (once your eyes get used to it in the dark).

And no ER runs!

:D

Bob Bidonde 01-02-2019 11:40 AM

Use an LED bulb to avoid the heat.

Benson 01-02-2019 11:42 AM

How do you read the gas gauge on the 28 - 29 with 12 volt bulb when I can not read it with a 6 volt bulb?

Dash light on 28 29 is located in different place from 30 31.

Just wondering ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA (Post 1711791)
Yup!

Which is why I use a 12 volt tail light bulb (3 cp) in the dash light of my 6 volt Model A!

It gives a nice glow at night on the instruments, not too bright in your eyes while driving, and not so hot to touch. I could never leave the regular bulb on for long because I did not like the bright light in my eyes while driving. The dimmer 12 volt bulb running on only 6 volts is much better (once your eyes get used to it in the dark).

And no ER runs!

Penthode 01-02-2019 12:17 PM

I have wondered about lighting the gas gauge. I have seen covers with additional slots to light the instruments. I was thinking of adding a slot to cast a bit of light on the gas gauge.

Jeff M 01-02-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA (Post 1711791)
Yup!

And no ER runs!

That's a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1711797)
Use an LED bulb to avoid the heat.

Has anyone found a 6v LED that fits?

Jim/GA 01-02-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff M (Post 1711827)
That's a good idea.

Has anyone found a 6v LED that fits?

And positive ground?

That's why I stick to a conventional bulb with a filament.

Jim/GA 01-02-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 1711799)
How do you read the gas gauge on the 28 - 29 with 12 volt bulb when I can not read it with a 6 volt bulb?

Just wondering ....

The lighting on the gas gauge is not brilliant in either case. I am mostly looking at the speedometer at night, and sometimes the ammeter. I tend to know how far I can go on the gas I am starting out with.

When you first try the 12 volt bulb at night, your initial reaction will be "this is not bright enough". But once you drive in the dark for a few minutes and your eyes adjust, you will begin to see inside the car just fine with the dimmer bulb.

ryanheacox 01-02-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA (Post 1711841)
The lighting on the gas gauge is not brilliant in either case. I am mostly looking at the speedometer at night, and sometimes the ammeter. I tend to know how far I can go on the gas I am starting out with.

When you first try the 12 volt bulb at night, your initial reaction will be "this is not bright enough". But once you drive in the dark for a few minutes and your eyes adjust, you will begin to see inside the car just fine with the dimmer bulb.

That is a good idea. There are times when I can make out the speedo with just moonlight if it's a clear night and the moon is near full.

Synchro909 01-02-2019 03:54 PM

I've had hot fingers too and wondered about an LED globe. My car is 12v which I would have thought would make it easy to find a suitable globe but I never have.

J Franklin 01-02-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 1711799)

Just wondering ....

The dome light will light the gas gauge.

Paul Mike 01-02-2019 05:39 PM

Check the link below for a LED light that I am using. It works with either 6 or 12 volts. Nice and bright and you won't burn your fingers!

https://modelastore.com/index.php?ro...ry_id=0&page=3

Badpuppy 01-03-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mike (Post 1711953)
Check the link below for a LED light that I am using. It works with either 6 or 12 volts. Nice and bright and you won't burn your fingers!

https://modelastore.com/index.php?ro...ry_id=0&page=3

Too bright for dash light, imo. Eyes need time to recover from bright to dark, could fail to see something ahead in time to avoid it.

There are a lot of "corncob" bulbs like this one available, but I've seen none below 180 lumens, which is about 15 CP.

Burned fingers - aloe vera. ;)

TomW 01-03-2019 01:27 PM

looking at the original question, he "pulled" on it. My dash light turns on by pushing on it.
I only pull on it to remove the cover for a bulb change. Perhaps the light is ok?