The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil flow in a factory bypass system? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262176)

gavinnz 04-21-2019 07:51 AM

Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Ok I am confused.... Normal some would say, but I will leave my family out of this...

I just took apart a factory bypass oil filter system... And I am buggered if I can see how the oil passes through the filter? Oil comes in the side of the housing..... Goes out the bottom... what am I missing here? How does it pass through the filter when the inlet and outlet are both outside the filter?

I know the answer will be simple but it's not coming to me and googling it did not help....

Kurt in NJ 04-21-2019 08:08 AM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

look at the center post, a ways down is a hole in the side

51 MERC-CT 04-21-2019 08:11 AM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

1 Attachment(s)
After the oil passes thru the filter it exits thru (2) i/16" holes in the center tube and out the bottom.
The center tube holes are at about the same level as the inlet tube and with the inlet fitting removed it may be possible to see at least one of the holes thru the inlet hole.


https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...2&d=1555852614

gavinnz 04-21-2019 08:11 AM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1749243)
look at the center post, a ways down is a hole in the side

I looked for a hole in the post but I could not see one which would be inside the filter. I could see some below where the base of the filter sits...

Still confused.....

gavinnz 04-21-2019 08:14 AM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1749244)
After the oil passes thru the filter it exits thru (2) i/16" holes in the center tube and out the bottom.
The center tube holes are at about the same level as the inlet tube and with the inlet fitting removed it may be possible to see at least one of the holes thru the inlet hole.

Ok, I will have a better look tomorrow.

patbill@megahits.com 04-21-2019 09:54 AM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

The holes in the center tube may be plugged with sludge. Take a small wire brush or an old tooth brush and clean off the center tube or maybe an air gun.They are there although they may be difficult to see.

Bill in Conn.

gavinnz 04-21-2019 10:10 AM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by patbill@megahits.com (Post 1749277)
The holes in the center tube may be plugged with sludge. Take a small wire brush or an old tooth brush and clean off the center tube or maybe an air gun.They are there although they may be difficult to see.

Bill in Conn.

That makes sense.... I cleaned off a layer of goo about 5mm thick off the bottom... I really did look hard, but it seems the holes are smaller than I was looking for and as you say filled with sludge....

51woodie 04-21-2019 02:33 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Be carefull when reassembling, if you have removed the brass fittings that screw into the filter canister. One of them has a restriction orifice, and it screws into the side of the canister, and connects to the steel line coming from the back of the engine by the left cylinder head. The purpose of the restriction is to control the amount of oil passing through the filter, while maintaining a restriction in the line to maintain oil pressure in the engine.

Jack E/NJ 04-21-2019 02:44 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

>>>holes are smaller than I was looking for and as you say filled with sludge>>>


As Yogi might say, a filter is better than nothing till it isn't. 8^) Jack E/NJ

JSeery 04-21-2019 04:02 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

2 Attachment(s)
The first diagram may be a one that 51 Merc posted in an earlier thread. The return holes are in the stand pipe, they are just a little difficult to find.

gavinnz 04-21-2019 05:31 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1749375)
The first diagram may be a one that 51 Merc posted in an earlier thread. The return holes are in the stand pipe, they are just a little difficult to find.

If I had seen that first photo I would have not asked the question. Those little arrows pointing in half way up the tube were the missing link in my research.

Should look good in the boat... Painted cream with new decals, brass fittings and copper lines. I can mount it on the hull bulkhead as long as it has the correct fall for the oil to return to the sump. I assume it is just gravity return?

JSeery 04-21-2019 06:56 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavinnz (Post 1749390)
If I had seen that first photo I would have not asked the question. Those little arrows pointing in half way up the tube were the missing link in my research.

Should look good in the boat... Painted cream with new decals, brass fittings and copper lines. I can mount it on the hull bulkhead as long as it has the correct fall for the oil to return to the sump. I assume it is just gravity return?

Nope, it is under pressure. The restrictor reduces the volume that goes through the filter, but it is still under pressure.

gavinnz 04-21-2019 07:13 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1749421)
Nope, it is under pressure. The restrictor reduces the volume that goes through the filter, but it is still under pressure.

I understand the pressure going into the filter.... Ok now thinking about it... It's a sealed filter system so it must be pressure pushing the return back into the engine as that pressure has no place else to go.... Slow learner.... :)

cas3 04-21-2019 07:17 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

pressurized rite into the pan, except when your cover leaks :D

gavinnz 04-21-2019 08:43 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas3 (Post 1749429)
pressurized rite into the pan, except when your cover leaks :D

Good point! I don't want oil in my boat.

Thanks for the education guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Lawrie 04-21-2019 10:03 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

Pictures of the boat??
I had mates who had a flathead powered boat, we used to go to a lake somewhere around Fielding and burn around in it.that was in the 60,s.
Lawrie

gavinnz 04-21-2019 10:14 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

1 Attachment(s)
The boat still a wreak, I am starting the wood work in a couple of months when I get it to my workshop.

gavinnz 04-21-2019 10:14 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

1 Attachment(s)
more...

gavinnz 04-21-2019 10:15 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

1 Attachment(s)
more

gavinnz 04-21-2019 10:16 PM

Re: Oil flow in a factory bypass system?
 

1 Attachment(s)
another...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.