The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interior Door Panels on Deluxe Closed Cars (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269529)

dmaxweb 09-16-2019 06:04 AM

Interior Door Panels on Deluxe Closed Cars

I've seen photos of 1930 Deluxe Tudor with a carpeted kick strip about 4" wide on the bottom of the doors panel? Did the Deluxe Coupe have these as well?
Thanks

1931 flamingo 09-16-2019 10:53 AM

Re: Interior Door Panels on Deluxe Closed Cars

My 31 tudor DeLuxe did. FWIW
Paul in CT

dmaxweb 09-16-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1799593)
My 31 tudor DeLuxe did. FWIW
Paul in CT

Is the welting/cording on all 4 sides of the carpeted area?
Any close up pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks

1931 flamingo 09-16-2019 04:50 PM

I can't check for you, car went to Italy in June.
Paul

dmaxweb 09-16-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1799739)
I can't check for you, car went to Italy in June.
Paul

Road Trip! :)

Anyone have close up pictures of door panels with carpet strip across bottom?

marty in Ohio 09-16-2019 07:32 PM

My '30 town sedan has it. It's kind of a jute material.
Marty

dmaxweb 09-16-2019 07:35 PM

Like to see close up of cording and how panel is stitched/glued. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see any illustrations in the JS with that style panel.

jimalabam 09-16-2019 08:51 PM

Sorry - There was NO 1930 Deluxe Tudors - Only 1931...

TerryH 09-16-2019 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 1930 Town Sedan has that carpet style trim on the bottom of the door panels. Here is a quick photo taken with my phone, showing what it looks like. This was supplied by LB many years ago. Hope this helps! And yes, the welting is on all sides......

Y-Blockhead 09-17-2019 01:09 AM

My '30 Town Sedan has the carpet like TerryH's picture. Matches the carpet on the floor in color and square weave.

beefheart 09-17-2019 06:46 AM

While we are on the subject of door panels, I would like to have door panels with the pockets in them but I am having trouble finding them.

duke36 09-17-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 1799479)
I've seen photos of 1930 Deluxe Tudor with a carpeted kick strip about 4" wide on the bottom of the doors panel? Did the Deluxe Coupe have these as well?
Thanks

Answer to your question, according to the De Angeles/Henry Ford book photos, the deluxe coupe did not appear to have bottom carpet on the doors, only on the floor. By the way, original cars seen, the strip was wool carpet, similar to German square weave used on many 60's cars and still available today..

duke36 09-17-2019 03:05 PM

delete duplicate post

duke36 09-17-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefheart (Post 1799939)
While we are on the subject of door panels, I would like to have door panels with the pockets in them but I am having trouble finding them.

Classtique Interiors can make them

dmaxweb 09-17-2019 04:59 PM

Is it simply a strip of sq weave carpet with binding all around (like the floor carpet) that is then glued to the cardboard door panel? If so, what is used to cover the cardboard panel edges at the sides and bottom of the carpeted section (other fabric wrapped around and glued)?

Thanks

Bill Cilker 09-17-2019 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the carpet piece on the bottom of the passenger door panel on my original Victoria (early May, 1931).

TerryH 09-17-2019 07:43 PM

Looking at my Town Sedan closer, that 4” or so carpeted strip does not have playwood behind it....peeling it back slightly it appears to be applied right over the metal lower part of the door. The top edge overlaps the panel material by about 1/2”. So there are no plywood edges anywhere....at least on my car. Also, my material does seem to closely resemble the photo posted of an original Victoria......

dmaxweb 09-17-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryH (Post 1800206)
Looking at my Town Sedan closer, that 4” or so carpeted strip does not have playwood behind it....peeling it back slightly it appears to be applied right over the metal lower part of the door. The top edge overlaps the panel material by about 1/2”. So there are no plywood edges anywhere....at least on my car. Also, my material does seem to closely resemble the photo posted of an original Victoria......

Perhaps sometime in the deep dark past the bottom of the cardboard panel was water damaged and cut off and the carpet strip just attached to the door frame.

Also, in your picture, the LB fabric around the carpet strip looks like the binding used on the floor carpet. In the Vicky picture, the original looks to be cording/welting close to the diameter of the remains of the windlace.

dmaxweb 09-17-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Cilker (Post 1800174)
Here is a picture of the carpet piece on the bottom of the passenger door panel on my original Victoria (early May, 1931).

I assume the picture is the front edge of the door with the windlace. Do you have a picture of the back of the door and how the edge is wrapped?
Thanks

TerryH 09-18-2019 01:35 AM

Just to clarify, I bought my car restored, and the gentleman I bought it from took it totally apart, so those door panels were from LB, and installed. I’m not sure if he cut or shortened them....not sure why he would have, but they clearly do not extend to the bottom of the door, and were never damaged and shortened....everything looks like new by looking under the edges. From comparing with the original shown in the Victoria, I would say LB did a credible job of replicating that whole piece, but surely not exactly right.....