The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Coil for flathead (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283324)

farmerdick 06-29-2020 10:46 AM

Coil for flathead

What ohm coil do I need for my flathead? Also I would like to have an internal resistor with ? with what value ohm.

tubman 06-29-2020 10:58 AM

Re: Coil for flathead

6 volts or 12? Electronic ignition or points? what year? A little more background information would help a lot.

Charlie ny 06-29-2020 11:30 AM

You can not go wrong with a NAPA IC 7 coil int resist 6V or NAPA IC 14 coil int resist
12v
Charlie ny

51504bat 06-29-2020 01:49 PM

On Bubba's advice I run a Bosch Blue coil 00012 with internal resistance on the 8ba in my '39 p/u converted to 12 volts. It has a Bubba Chevy conversion distributor.

Charlie ny 06-29-2020 02:18 PM

The Bosch 00012 is the king....not always available.

Charlie ny

alanwoodieman 06-29-2020 03:14 PM

napa is reboxing bosch coils in there box

51504bat 06-29-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie ny (Post 1904115)
The Bosch 00012 is the king....not always available.

Charlie ny

Both Amazon and Autozone list them. Both for just under 50 bucks. Other sources as well according to Mr. Google for similar and more $$

G.M. 06-29-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerdick (Post 1904047)
What ohm coil do I need for my flathead? Also I would like to have an internal resistor with ? with what value ohm.

Get a coil from Skip Haney in Florida and you will not have
coil problems again. And he repairs them at no charge if it
ever fails. He has been doing them for 25 years. Ask people
on this site about them. G.M.

tubman 06-29-2020 05:06 PM

Like I said; how can we make commendations with no information? We don't even know it it's an integral coil or a can type , for cripes sake.

His avatar is a Model "A", but this is the Early V8 section, so that's not even of any help.

Aarongriffey 06-29-2020 06:41 PM

A friend bought a ‘35 convertible sedan about 10 years ago.
I rebuilt an LB and put in it with a ‘35 distributed with an adapter for a modern coil. 6 volt.
Always had trouble starting it after it was run foe a while.
Would fun very poorly when it got hot. Wouldn’t star if he shut it down.
I got 3 new NAPA coils and tried them but never satisfactory.
Got to where he didn’t trust the car. Usually had to wait about 40 minutes before it would restart.
THEN... he sent a stock coil to Skip.
When he got the coil back he brought the coil and the car to my house. It would not restart.
I replaced most of the exhaust system and changed the coil. Fine.
I drove the car back towards his place in Oakland.
A bout 12 miles and I stopped at a tire shop where they knew me in Oakland and I shut off the car.
After telling the owner why I stopped there I hit the starter button and it STARTED right up.
I drove on to the owner’s house in Piedmont, about 5 miles, shut it down and it started right up!
Now about every 6 or 8 months he calls me to tell me how much he likes that old Ford ever since I put the Skip’s Rebuilt Coil on it. Just loves that car.

Lawson Cox 06-29-2020 11:00 PM

Skips coils are GREAT. (Just don't leave your ignition on. It will fry a coil in short order. (Don't ask me how I know. Twice.)

V8COOPMAN 06-30-2020 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1904173)
Like I said; how can we make commendations with no information? We don't even know it it's an integral coil or a can type , for cripes sake.

His avatar is a Model "A", but this is the Early V8 section, so that's not even of any help.

He's been back on the forum yesterday SINCE the request for clarification, but he has obviously ignored that. Reading back thru his past posts, it appears that he's a real novice, attempting to put a 59 AB in that Model A roadster, for what it's worth. I don't have a whole lot of desire to lean over any farther backwards for someone that can't help-out just a little! And who could have guessed....we have yet another infamous referral from George. DD

tubman 06-30-2020 09:50 AM

OK, I'll go ahead with guessing. Since he may be asking about a 59A in a Model "A". I'll guess "can coil". If that's the case, you cannot go wrong following "Charlie ny"'s advice.

Next subject?