The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1936 Ford 6 volt battery size (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320541)

Bruce in southern OH 11-17-2022 08:29 AM

1936 Ford 6 volt battery size

Need info on a 6 volt battery that will fit in under floor board of a 1936 Four door Converible Sedan?? Thanks in advance

KiWinUS 11-17-2022 11:29 AM

Re: 1936 Ford 6 volt battery size

I use an Optima red top. Amazing battery. It’s too tall but lay it over on an angle. Mine has been this way for 12 years. Their an AGM Battery so you could run it upside down if you want.

Don Rogers 11-17-2022 03:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is an image of an original battery with dimensions. Most batteries today including the optima are too high. You can either rebuild the battery box to lower it or you can buy a special access cover with extra height. A lot of people mount an optima diagonally in an old battery case. It looks original from underneath and the terminals line up.

Bruce in southern OH 11-18-2022 09:51 AM

Thank you both!

JM 35 Sedan 11-20-2022 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've also been using an Optima battery in my '35 fordor for many years. I took a slightly different approach to mounting it in the original battery box under the front floor. This mounting was done with no modifications to the stock mounting box, and I could switch it back to an original size 2LF battery in about 10 minutes. See attached pictures. It's not original and beautiful, but very functional....

Jeff/Illinois 11-21-2022 02:53 PM

From what I am hearing you aren't going to get those kind of years out of the 'new' Optima batteries.

Like most things today, they are being made on the cheap off shore, but still charging pree-mo bucks.

KiWinUS 11-21-2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 2183047)
From what I am hearing you aren't going to get those kind of years out of the 'new' Optima batteries.

Like most things today, they are being made on the cheap off shore, but still charging pree-mo bucks.

So what is a better alternative? With same CCA? Thanks.

koates 11-21-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Just more unsubstantiated rumors but they are made in Mexico where many quality electrical parts are manufactured. Regards, Kevin.

tubman 11-21-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

This is not exactly true. There was a thread on the H.A.M.B several years ago on this very subject. The best aspect of that thread is that an executive from Johnson Controls (who bought Optima in 2000) contributed to that tread, not once, but several times. Basically, to cut costs (now a core American corporate strategy), they moved the operation to Mexico. There were some problems that resulted from that move that allowed some sub-standard batteries to get out. The executive freely admitted this and assured the forum that steps were being taken to correct the problems. They were obviously able to do so. The Optima that I had in my Ford previously to the current one was purchased in 2006 (significantly after the move) and lasted 13 years. My current one is going on 5 years old.

An interesting observation is that although the starter in the car never failed on me, it never seemed to be quite right. Therefore, I replaced it in 2021 with one I rebuilt myself. It proved to be an improvement and works much better that the one it replaced. The 2006 Optima lasted 13 years even with a marginal starter.

ndnchf 08-03-2023 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 2182894)
I've also been using an Optima battery in my '35 fordor for many years. I took a slightly different approach to mounting it in the original battery box under the front floor. This mounting was done with no modifications to the stock mounting box, and I could switch it back to an original size 2LF battery in about 10 minutes. See attached pictures. It's not original and beautiful, but very functional....

I just bought an optima for my '35 Fordor. I like your battery support solution. Did you buy that somewhere or make it?
Thanks, Steve

JM 35 Sedan 08-03-2023 08:39 AM

Hi Steve, I made that mount from materials I had on hand in my shop at that time. The main piece that holds the battery in place was cut from a long piece of U shapped stainless steel sheet metal that I had salvaged from an old building years ago. It just happened to be the right size and configuration to hold the 6V Optima in place between the existing stock battery box rails. That complete assembly requires no modifications to the original box, and can be quickly removed.

ndnchf 08-03-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 2244957)
Hi Steve, I made that mount from materials I had on hand in my shop at that time. The main piece that holds the battery in place was cut from a long piece of U shapped stainless steel sheet metal that I had salvaged from an old building years ago. It just happened to be the right size and configuration to hold the 6V Optima in place between the existing stock battery box rails. That complete assembly requires no modifications to the original box, and can be quickly removed.

Thanks John, looks like a good solution. I may make something similar.

JM 35 Sedan 08-03-2023 09:30 AM

You are welcome, Steve. I made a couple more of those for friends that wanted to mount an Optima in their '35/'36 Ford.
I bought one of those raised covers that's pictured in Don Rogers post but opted to go with mounting the battery lower in the original box instead.

ndnchf 08-03-2023 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 2244968)
You are welcome, Steve. I made a couple more of those for friends that wanted to mount an Optima in their '35/'36 Ford.
I bought one of those raised covers that's pictured in Don Rogers post but opted to go with mounting the battery lower in the original box instead.

I just went out and looked at mine. It seems someone already made some type of modification. After I pick up the optima, I'll pull the old battery and see what needs to be done.

petehoovie 08-03-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndnchf (Post 2244970)
I just went out and looked at mine. It seems someone already made some type of modification. After I pick up the optima, I'll pull the old battery and see what needs to be done.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1691073599