The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dilbert on Restoring Old Cars (and other garbage) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189245)

Old Henry 02-14-2016 04:42 PM

Dilbert on Restoring Old Cars (and other garbage)

A guy and church choir practice today handed me this Dilbert comic that he thought was pretty darn funny. What do you think?

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2jhbrat6.jpg

39topless 02-14-2016 04:57 PM

Re: Dilbert on Restoring Old Cars (and other garbage)

i love wally

Mart 02-14-2016 05:00 PM

Typical outsiders view of us.

My daughter was quite a few years through school before she realised other kids dads didn't have a garage full of old american cars and hot rods. (I'm in England).

Mart.

SofaKing 02-14-2016 05:05 PM

I like it.

34fordy 02-14-2016 05:27 PM

If Wally ever gets a whiff of 80 year old oil/grease mixed with mouse pee he will be hooked just like the rest of us--Um-Um--I love it!!!

hotrodA 02-14-2016 05:39 PM

Perfect!!
Thanks for sharing that, I've sent it to my car buds.

petehoovie 02-14-2016 05:53 PM

I use to work with a guy like Wally. He use to boast about his lack of work ethic. - he did absolutely nothing except to show up. His wages were identical to mine. He was a strong 'union man'. He referred to the rest of us as fools because we actually worked. Reflecting back, I can't help but feel he may have been right. I hate Wally....

37coop 02-14-2016 06:01 PM

My cousin a daily golfer,costing him a fortune used to laugh at me with my classic cars and bikes ...always in that dirty old garage he used to smirk, well his knees ,hips etc have made him give up his hobby and he sold his equipment for pennies ,when I am forced to sell or my family need to we/they will do very nicely thank you and I get serious pleasure with the family with car shows etc ,his family were at home while he spent his hobby without them ....each to their own but some people just cant accept that ,

34fordy 02-14-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1241650)
I use to work with a guy like Wally. He use to boast about his lack of work ethic. - he did absolutely nothing except to show up. His wages were identical to mine. He was a strong 'union man'. He referred to the rest of us as fools because we actually worked. Reflecting back, I can't help but feel he may have been right. I hate Wally....

He was not a strong "union man" to me Pete--He cared only for himself--
I believe a strong union man WORKS for the good of all men--Just because you pay dues does not make you a union man in your heart and mind--

51 MERC-CT 02-14-2016 06:03 PM

Yep, this was my take on this 3 years ago in this forum.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...l.jpg~original

waterboychuck 02-14-2016 06:07 PM

Funny

Lawson Cox 02-14-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1241657)

NOW I LIKE IT. Before it didn't do much for me.

LOU WELLS 02-14-2016 08:36 PM

My olde Fords have been refered to as "junk" many times over the last 50 years but I still go out to the shop in the evening and enjoy their faithful company!

fortyfords 02-15-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34fordy (Post 1241656)
He was not a strong "union man" to me Pete--He cared only for himself--
I believe a strong union man WORKS for the good of all men--Just because you pay dues does not make you a union man in your heart and mind--

I agree with 34fordy, not a real union man at all.

mhsprecher 02-15-2016 09:28 AM

I think the edits make it better. I am sure the Chevy guys have put Ford in its place.

I have worked a lot of places where there are people who avoid work, but still get paid. There are some who get ahead that way. I have always had a strong work ethic, maybe foolishly.

One of my first jobs was in a gas station and you never wanted the owner to find you not doing something. Whether it was that or something else that made me the way that I am, I don't know, but many people are not that way.

34fordy 02-15-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsprecher (Post 1241946)
I think the edits make it better. I am sure the Chevy guys have put Ford in its place.

I have worked a lot of places where there are people who avoid work, but still get paid. There are some who get ahead that way. I have always had a strong work ethic, maybe foolishly.

One of my first jobs was in a gas station and you never wanted the owner to find you not doing something. Whether it was that or something else that made me the way that I am, I don't know, but many people are not that way.

I believe a good "work ethic" is learned--Usually starts with parents teaching it in the home--However, the gas station owner probably had a positive influence on you as a young man also--Never foolish to do your best at anything--

39topless 02-15-2016 12:10 PM

As a kid, I remember hearing the term "learn how to work". A very valuable skill to learn indeed.

FrankWest 02-15-2016 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LOU WELLS (Post 1241748)
My olde Fords have been refered to as "junk" many times over the last 50 years but I still go out to the shop in the evening and enjoy their faithful company!

I guess all forms of entertainment are a waste of time.
But being able to develop talents to restore, re-build, renew seem like less garbage than watching football!

APDAVE 02-15-2016 04:51 PM

One day I went for a ride in my 32 ,when I stopped at a red light a friend and his son pulled next to me and we greeted each other. The next day at work he told me his son asked him dosent he work the same place as you why does he drive that old junk ?

RalphM 02-15-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1241657)

Now that's funny!