The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Any Idea on What I've Got Here? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265581)

doctorquant 06-28-2019 07:16 AM

Any Idea on What I've Got Here?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, perhaps this isn't the proper board but it seemed reasonable as a starting point ...

I have recently found myself in charge of my late uncle's "fleet" of old Fords. Said fleet includes two '40 Fords (I think) and I have no idea as to: A) how much these might be worth (and how to find out); and B) how I might go about finding VIN-like information so as to get them legally in the name of whoever ultimately buys them.

Attached is an old picture of the two of them ...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

slowforty 06-28-2019 07:28 AM

Re: Any Idea on What I've Got Here?

where are you located?

chap52 06-28-2019 07:32 AM

I think that you should give them to me. I would be willing to deal with that pesky paperwork... lol Chap

marko39 06-28-2019 07:33 AM

do you have the titles for the cars? if so, serial no. (Vin) should match no. on car which can be found on left front frame rail near where front crossmember is. this can be difficult to find but should be there and cars will be worth more if this is verified.

doctorquant 06-28-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowforty (Post 1772214)
where are you located?

I am located in Texas ... these are located in western South Carolina (a.k.a. the Upstate).

deuce_roadster 06-28-2019 07:58 AM

You are correct, those are both 40 Fords, and both are Deluxe models. The passenger cars were either Deluxe or V8 (commonly referred to as Standard). Condition sets the price, one on the left is a 2 door sedan, can't tell about the other. In general, coupes and 2 doors sell for more then a 4 door. Vehicles that move under their own power of course are worth more. Some people will value originality more then others in regard to the engines and powertrain.
The state you live in will dictate what happens with lost or missing titles. If you are legally the Executor of your uncle's estate you may have a slightly easier time getting the paperwork. If you were given these cars in a will that would help too.
Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Most of us here wonder what else is in the "fleet".

deuce_roadster 06-28-2019 08:04 AM

You can contact the South Carolina dept of motor vehicles to find out about missing titles.

Old Redneck 06-28-2019 08:27 AM

Please show us more pictures so we can help you. They look like very nice unrestored cars. How Manny cars does he have? I am in Pa. but would drive down there to help you sell them.

WABOOM 06-28-2019 08:30 AM

So you are using the Ford Barn to get advice on value of a couple cars, and then you will ever be heard from again.
Sounds great.
Maybe hire a classic car appraiser.

34pickup 06-28-2019 09:28 AM

You could post them for sale here in the classifieds. Go over the classified section to see what similar cars are selling for. Some of the members here that live in South Carolina would probably be willing to come look them over and give you some personal advice.

19Fordy 06-28-2019 10:59 AM

First get clear titles showing you legally own the cars.
Then, get them running.
Then sell them to a Fordbarner if you want to sell. Post lots more photos with honest description.
Be realistic with your pricing.

Charlie ny 06-28-2019 05:32 PM

How in hell can someone who himself listed a litany of questions regarding his Merc
sometime back know that the poster will dust the Barn after some Q & A's. !9Fordy has it.....we get a peak at two barn finds and maybe an inside track at a buy opportunity. Sounds all good to me.
Charlie ny

mercman from oz 06-28-2019 05:40 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1561724100
Large picture of the pair of Barn Find 1940 Ford Deluxe Sedans posted by the Doctor.

alanwoodieman 06-28-2019 06:29 PM

I live in the upstate and PM him about looking and helping but have not heard from him.
deuce roadster --how are the woodies doing?

A bones 06-28-2019 07:07 PM

Welcome to the barn.

The knowledge of condition is vital for an evaluation.

Right now, before you try to start them, find out about the process of resuscitation

Have no fear of taking 'Old Redneck' (post #8) up on his offer of help. He's been a member here from the beginning and has championed many restorations. He is, like most of the board here a straight shooter.

Previous treatment, as well as long term storage can have surprising effects.

If you move the cursor to anyone's avatar and click you can find a bar that will allow you to send a message straight to that member. That avoids having the occasional wisecrack

Wild guess says that is a Pony Car 'neath the cover. Best of luck:)

deuce_roadster 06-29-2019 10:53 AM

Alan, both cars are done and on the road. (pictures in my public albums) Got my second Dearborn at Salem WNM. Thanks for your help along the way. My friend Tom and I made all the wood (including plywood) for both his and my cars and assembled my body first so both wouldn't be apart at the same time. I painted his car Lyon Blue, and while he was assembling his top wood, he knocked down a large maple piece from the overhead of his shop that landed on the hood and left front fender denting both so I ended up painting his car again!
Sorry to hijack the thread.

alanwoodieman 06-29-2019 03:04 PM

we are all friends here and just wanted to catch up with you while I was thinking about wagons and saw your handle

jimTN 06-30-2019 04:15 PM

Condition and original are big factors. I am not so sure the one on the right is not a coupe. Lots of pictures help, things like the floor in front and back, engine, interior, clear shots of the front ends and side views. Prices vary a lot depending on where you are. You can just about add a grand to a buyers cost if the car has to be commercial shipped. Good reasonable complete cars will start at around ten grand and go up. Believe it or not you can look them up in the NADA price sheets and the figures there are recognized. The butchers are paying big money to cut up original cars.

Dave Castle 07-01-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WABOOM (Post 1772238)
So you are using the Ford Barn to get advice on value of a couple cars, and then you will ever be heard from again.
Sounds great.
Maybe hire a classic car appraiser.

Who pissed on your cherrios ?