The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is it, is it valuable (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255531)

bmklawt 12-01-2018 03:16 PM

What is it, is it valuable

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I joined this forum just to ask this question, I bought what I think is a "Model A" rear axle but not being a car guy I really don't know. I bought this for a tractor project I'm working on and was planning on narrowing the axle but thought I should check and make sure I don't have something rare before I start cutting it up.
I need an old looking axle for my project, doesn't really matter what axle it is.

Afordman31 12-01-2018 03:25 PM

Re: What is it, is it valuable

Pretty sure Model A. Wheels 30-31. Appears someone used it as a trailer!

Chris Haynes 12-01-2018 04:47 PM

If straight the wheels have value.

40 Deluxe 12-01-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmklawt (Post 1701364)
Hello,

I joined this forum just to ask this question, I bought what I think is a "Model A" rear axle but not being a car guy I really don't know. I bought this for a tractor project I'm working on and was planning on narrowing the axle but thought I should check and make sure I don't have something rare before I start cutting it up.
I need an old looking axle for my project, doesn't really matter what axle it is.

Is the driveshaft still in the torque tube? Some times the driveshaft and pinion gear were removed for converting to trailer use. The ring gear assembly needed to stay to hold the axle shafts in, which in turn are needed to hold the rear hubs on. Shortening the torque tube is a simple matter of resplining the driveshaft or cutting and welding. If narrowing the housing, the axle shafts need to be retapered (close tolerances here) or cut and welded.
There are grease fittings next to the backing plates to grease the hub bearings.
Get the brakes working and install a brake pedal for each side. Now you have turning brakes that will whip your tractor around on a dime!
The wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2", which is the same as F150 Ford pickup, older Jeeps, Scouts, Suzuki Samurai and Sidekicks, Geo/Chevy Trackers and more.

bmklawt 12-01-2018 05:44 PM

I just tore this thing apart and it is missing the drive shaft, pinion gear and brakes, and the ring gear is missing some teeth, this is a bummer.

ronn 12-01-2018 05:49 PM

scrapped one of these last year wo wheels for 20.

it was in great shape, but nowhere to put it.

1930artdeco 12-01-2018 06:00 PM

Welcome, All of those pieces are replaceable. You can get all of those parts used or new. Might add your location, that way people might be close and be able to give you a hand.

Mike

bmklawt 12-01-2018 06:33 PM

Finding a ring gear, pinion and brakes would be awesome, beat up old stuff will work the tractor will have a top speed of 5MPH

JoeCB 12-01-2018 06:35 PM

Many a heavy duty jack stand had been made from the two axel housings over the last 90 years.

Joe B

George Miller 12-01-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCB (Post 1701428)
Many a heavy duty jack stand had been made from the two axel housings over the last 90 years.

Joe B

Yes I have 4 of them that were in my Dads repair garage. Been using them for over 50 years.

Dick Steinkamp 12-01-2018 08:09 PM

You would be much better off to find a complete Model A rear end rather than repairing this one. They are not in high demand and priced accordingly. Sometimes free.

40 Deluxe 12-01-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmklawt (Post 1701417)
I just tore this thing apart and it is missing the drive shaft, pinion gear and brakes, and the ring gear is missing some teeth, this is a bummer.

All is not lost! Now you have some material to practice your shortening/narrowing procedures.

dumb person 12-02-2018 01:36 AM

In my country they're rare & i had to pay good money for a worse one.
Cost me more to get it working again.

If it's missing parts that's not a huge problem. If you're building a tractor, just put some more modern gears in it. The housings might be swapped for worse ones if you know someone else building an axle.

burner31 12-02-2018 10:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Turn it into a "Model A trailer"...there's your value.