The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mitchell OD Shift Lever Clearance (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274532)

doug.nichols 12-27-2019 10:08 AM

Mitchell OD Shift Lever Clearance

Just finished installing a Mitchell synchro transmission and Mitchell overdrive in my 29 roadster. The overdrive shift lever hits the seat when in low (pulled back) position and hits the transmission gear shift lever when the transmission is in high gear position and the overdrive shift lever is in high (pushed forward). The OD shift lever is adjustable on its spline but I cannot find a position that solves this problem. Has anyone experienced this situation? One thing I wonder is if my seat cushion is too big i.e. not original size and shape. I also wonder if there is a different OD shift lever that solves the problem.:)

Thanks

whirnot 12-27-2019 10:21 AM

Re: Mitchell OD Shift Lever Clearance

Give Steve Mitchell a call, he is always very helpful.

arnhemmer 12-27-2019 02:54 PM

Call Mitchell and ask about the cable shift.

al's28/33 12-27-2019 03:43 PM

Maybe the seat/top of your cushion is a bit too big and hangs farther out than normal. Worth taking some measurements.

Dave in MN 12-27-2019 03:51 PM

The shift lever works in my '29 Phaeton, which I think has the same front seat clearances as your Roadster. When in "high and high" the overdrive lever misses the transmission lever...it is to the side of it. Is it possible your transmission shift lever has been modified to allow the driver more room?

I will take a photo of my assembly and add it to this post when I get home from work.
Good Day!

larrys40 12-27-2019 09:29 PM

Doug,
I’ve installed a number of the overdrives and have always been able to adjust the lever on the splines shaft for the best comfort position and clearance of the cushion. Try and reposition the lever forward more . The splints should accommodate he distance for Any model a seat setup that is stock.
Larry Shepard

katy 12-28-2019 12:16 PM

Got pictures?

doug.nichols 12-30-2019 12:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attached are pictures

daveymc29 12-30-2019 11:57 PM

I use the Mitchell cable shifter and that eliminates the extra lever and extra slot in the floorboard and carpet. Mitchell sells an expensive cable, but it works and wont let you down. I use a hood cable to operate my BW and that isn't nearly as good a shit tool as the Mitchell cable, though it works Just too much cheaper in quality though I haven't looked for a good substitute so I guess it good enough for who it is for.

Happy New Year