The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   hard shifting (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252271)

Clem Clement 09-30-2018 05:00 PM

hard shifting

On the trip today to the Armed Forces Retirement Home in DC, my Cabbie had trouble shifting into both second and third. I had to stop on occasion to get the tranny into second. No previous trouble. Ball on shift lever rebuilt 10 years ago.

Jim/GA 09-30-2018 07:32 PM

Re: hard shifting

Were the gears grinding really badly?

Or did it seem like the shifter was jamming up?

:confused:

Wick 09-30-2018 08:13 PM

You haven't been pulling the shifter up and turning it around again have you? We told you about that.

The ball should still be OK after 10 years. So I would look at where the ball fits into the shift fork. The fork could be worn.

Clem Clement 09-30-2018 09:09 PM

Like the shifter is binding

F.M. 09-30-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1680930)
Like the shifter is binding

Bent fork ??

eagle 09-30-2018 10:32 PM

Check tranny fluid.

Tom Endy 10-01-2018 12:20 AM

A fellow club member was having difficulty shifting his newly acquired Model A that had been restored. The tower had also been restored. I gave him another tower and it solved his problem.

When I took his tower apart I Found a pair of reproduction forks that I have never seen before and are apparently new on the market. They look to be a rough casting instead of forged. The slots in the forks are not wide enough to accommodate the ball on the end of the shifter. This caused the ball to jam up. The shifter was also a new reproduction, however, the ball was the correct size.

The Tunnels through the forks are too small and caused one of them to crack. I would be very careful using these reproduction forks when restoring a tower. Stick with the time proven method of having the originals welded up and milled to the proper size.

Tom Endy

Jacksonlll 10-01-2018 09:07 AM

Don’t discount those detents. We had one where a repro bullet was too long and it and the spring bottomed out before the bullet cleared the notch.

Clem Clement 10-08-2018 08:08 PM

Tranny is now topped off. Tranny better

Jim/GA 10-09-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1683669)
Tranny is now topped off. Tranny better

So, you are saying that the transmission was low on 600W oil? That was the problem?

Thanks for reporting back your findings. Many people do not tell us what they found.

WHN 10-09-2018 08:32 AM

Try half 600w and half STP.

Also helps if you have minor dripping from transmission.

Some owners use just STP. Enjoy.

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-09-2018 10:43 AM

I KNOW I'm DANGEROUS, whin' I "think", but here I go: Minerva had VERY CRISP Detents & had to be shifted with a SLAP to her knob, with an OPEN PALM. MUCH like whin you correct your KIDS---LOL
I told my Daughter, "If I'd stayed SINGLE, we wouldn't be having this CONVERSATION"!!!
Bill Abusive

eagle 10-10-2018 07:55 PM

I use Lucas oil stabilizer. Makes shifting slicker than seal poo on an ice floe. Also had a little howl with 600W, been gone for 4 years since I've changed to Lucas.