The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Optima battery that will not hold a charge (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209151)

Maclab58 11-15-2016 01:09 PM

Optima battery that will not hold a charge

I have a 1 yr old Optima battery that will not hold a charge. We were gone on vacation for 10 days and I came home to a completely dead battery. Would not register even one volt. I placed it on a slow charger for 24 hours and was able to start the car and driving around I parked it for three or four hours and came back out to start it and it was down to 4 V. I recharged it again this morning and had a voltage of 6.42 volts. I have let it sit now for approximately 2 1/2 hours. And it is down to 6.24 V. I am going to place it back on the charger again and disconnect the battery cables from the car and see if I get a voltage drop after setting for a few hours. Any suggestion ?

Jim/GA 11-15-2016 03:35 PM

Re: Optima battery that will not hold a charge

I would check the cutout on the top of the generator. If the points are stuck closed, it will drain a battery quite dead.

C26Pinelake 11-15-2016 03:38 PM

take it to the dealer and have them check the. Condition of the battery! Wayne

BUBBAS IGNITION 11-15-2016 03:44 PM

Something is more than likely drawing the battery down. Just a note the optimas dont like a slow charge ,if ya googe the optima charging , they like a max charge with a lead acid battery hooked in parallel with jumpers. I have taken a few that was dead and charged this way revived them all..

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...harged-battery

Jim/GA 11-15-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 1385342)
why two posts on same subject to create confusion?

I posted the same Optima battery recovery article on the other one.

Why not ask Ryan to cancel this thread ?

Bubba and Jim can repost their entries on the first one with more entries ...

Just sayin ...

Benson-
I did not see the other post with the same question. I answered the first one I saw, which is the later one.

Now that I read the other post, I don's see anyone suggesting the cutout. as the possible problem. So I think that is still a fair suggestion.

I don't know why people post the same question twice. Computer glitch, I suppose. I don't think anyone does it on purpose to be annoying.

Patrick L. 11-15-2016 05:25 PM

I would agree that the first thing is a draw, so, the first question is always, has a check for a draw been done ?
To check, just disconnect a battery cable and install your test light between the unhooked cable and battery post and see if the light comes on. If it does there is a draw. Then just keep disconnecting things until the light goes out, thats the draw.
Usually on an 'A', its the brake switch or interior light.

C26Pinelake 11-15-2016 05:33 PM

[/B]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1385375)
I would agree that the first thing is a draw, so, the first question is always, has a check for a draw been done ?
To check, just disconnect a battery cable and install your test light between the unhooked cable and battery post and see if the light comes on. If it does there is a draw. Then just keep disconnecting things until the light goes out, thats the draw.
Usually on an 'A', its the brake switch or interior light.

Very logical and well said ! Wayne

Benson 11-15-2016 05:40 PM

Nobody posts twice on purpose:

I have made two posts-threads myself ...

if you make a post and go back the original thread to see what you posted and do not refresh the original thread, it looks like the first post never happened.

So I posted again and two threads were on the system.

That is how it happened with me ...

When this happens to me I just click the "report" button and ask Ryan to delete the duplicate post (or in this case duplicate thread).

Bubba's post says that he had same problem I wrote about and he fixed it with Optima procedure like I did, but the first thread does not reflect this ... That is what I meant about confusion...

I do not want to start any trouble over this ...

C26Pinelake 11-15-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 1385438)
Sorry that I even brought it up let's forget what I said.

Then delete both your posts!

updraught 11-15-2016 08:49 PM

Thanks for explaining how two threads happen.

That pesky refresh button.

Bruce Adams 11-15-2016 10:34 PM

While nearly dead Optimas do not accept recharging by traditional chargers, and require another 6 volt battery in parallel hooked up to the system, I have seen some 12 volt chargers at Harbor Freight that are designed for Gel Batteries, which I guess Optimas are classified as.

C26Pinelake 11-16-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1385474)
Thanks for explaining how two threads happen.

That pesky refresh button.

I sent a pm to this fine gentleman in case he was unaware of his mistake. I am sure he will remove one of them. Wayne