The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best stock 8BA camshaft (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290826)

Charlie ny 11-28-2020 10:10 AM

Best stock 8BA camshaft

Guys,
After 11 months of thrashing my '32 pickup is on the road. As pur-
chased it had a 286 8BA installed. The story is the motor is from a 50's
circle track car and after freshening I decided to reuse the cam,a SEARS
catalog item. The cam had .090 flats at the apex of each lobe which I
thought would give a nice rumpy idle. The motor certainly has a rumpy idle plus low power until 3000 rpm, long warm up time up before decent drivability.
I now hate this cam and in spring will change it. I'm wondering if there is a
stock cam that has a performance edge and the pt# if you please.
Gracias,
Charlie ny

flatford8 11-28-2020 10:55 AM

Re: Best stock 8BA camshaft

I’ve read on here that EAB and 8CM were a good choice. Tilden Technologies has a good informative website with a chart that lists Flathead stock cams...... Mark

tubman 11-28-2020 12:00 PM

I have an 8CM cam in my '51 Ford. The new engine I put in performs much better than the previous one did, but it has better heads, better carburetion, and better ignition, plus the old one was a little tired. According to the aforementioned Tilden Technologies information, it has better numbers than an 8BA cam (.330 lift vs .307). Tilden (at least from what I can see) has no information on an EAB or EAC cam. I for one, would like to see it. (I would expect an EAC to be "better" than an EAB, just like a 8CM has better numbers than an 8BA.)

cadillac512 11-28-2020 12:23 PM

Charlie, I agree with Tubman on the 8CM cam being very nice in a semi-stock engine. I am running one in a 260" Merc with good quench, a 2GC carb and Chev distributor and it performs excellently. Still a smooth idle-maybe just a tiny bit less smooth than the stock '41 Merc cam-but pulls hard from idle to 4000 rpm. From 1500-3000 it's a beast. VERY good warm up manners.
When I built the engine I checked the 8CM against an EAB cam and there is almost no difference despite what the published sources say. In fact, I would bet the difference between the 8CM and the EAB would be unnoticeable in operation...they are that close.
After using the 8CM, I would recommend it as well as the EAB/EAC.
I do like a powerful engine, and tend to use them briskly...:)

Terry

flatjack9 11-28-2020 03:12 PM

The 8CM or EAB are the best stock cams you can use. I've had a Winfield SU1-A in my 39 for 25 years now and really like it. Still a good bit of low end torque. I can start out in second gear if I want too. Have a 3.70 Bronco rear axle. The L-100 is very similar. There are others that have been recommended, but I only have experience with these two. Tilden lists an "improved" 8CM, I've always meant to see if they actually will grind one.

40cpe 11-28-2020 03:26 PM

I called Specialty Motor Cams that the Tilden site specified to inquire about the improved cam a few years ago. They told me that they would grind one. I didn't inquire about price because I was leaning toward a "rumpity" cam.

I'm no cam expert, but the Isky Max#1 looks very similar to the Tilden cam.

flatjack9 11-28-2020 03:46 PM

I'll have to take a run over there and talk to them

KiWinUS 11-28-2020 06:20 PM

Charlie I can help if you need a nice used EAB possibly a used merc also or can grind merc fresh.

GB SISSON 11-28-2020 06:50 PM

If it's ok for me to cut in, I have a question about cams.... I'm collecting parts for a 260, Had the 4" crank ground last winter. I have some nice 8ba blocks, various cams, but some have been just laying across other engine parts, not well supported. Will they sag or take a set like a crank can? If so I may be looking for a cam too. Thanks!

JSeery 11-28-2020 06:55 PM

Don't think either will.

cadillac512 11-28-2020 07:32 PM

Should be fine, GB...I've never seen one bend from that type storage yet.

Ol' Ron 11-28-2020 09:08 PM

I'm really happy with the EAb cam in the 280. I;m even running rotators with stock springs and a.060" spacer. Low end torque is fantastic and it turns 4+K with no problem. It also has milled EAB heads on it. 2GC carb.
Gramps.