The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stupid Ebay 'classic' car seller (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120613)

Scott H in Wheaton 10-18-2013 12:57 PM

Stupid Ebay 'classic' car seller

This thing was listed about a month ago.
Advertised as a 1936 Pickup....and its clearly a 1937. The grille, the cab, the bed, the tailgate, all are obvious 1937 parts.

Last time they listed it I sent them an email politely telling them they've made an error and I didn't want to see them have an upset bidder who was counting on a 36 and ended up with a 37.

Apparently they ignored the friendly advice and are still advertising it as a 1936. I wonder what could be wrong with the title/frame number?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-C...US_Cars_Trucks

Mike B 10-18-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Stupid Ebay 'classic' car seller

Definitely a '37...even the serial number is.

BlueSunoco 10-18-2013 03:14 PM

I did that once, nicely, to a guy advertising a '1969 Torino GT' which was clearly a 1971 model on E-Bay Motors. I was looking for a '69 at the time. They don't look anything alike.

Boy did he ream me! After that I decided 'fine' let it go to some unsuspecting victim;)

ford38v8 10-18-2013 03:15 PM

So... You politely told him his '36 was a '37? Did Ford make overhead valve engines in '37? How about juice brakes? His truck is a long way from being a '37 now, and he hasn't any problem with ignoring your friendly advice.

Ryan 10-18-2013 03:42 PM

My thoughts on dealers:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=12618

jimTN 10-18-2013 03:54 PM

BUTCHERS!!!!!!! They have ruined a good Ford trk.

deuce lover 10-18-2013 04:49 PM

I once emailed a dealer(northern Calif) that had a 34 For PU that was supposedly "restored".I mentioned to him a few details that were not correct and that he might want to mention in his description.His reply was are you the EBAY police and do you have anything better to do with your time.

Scott H in Wheaton 10-18-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 747102)
So... You politely told him his '36 was a '37? Did Ford make overhead valve engines in '37? How about juice brakes? His truck is a long way from being a '37 now, and he hasn't any problem with ignoring your friendly advice.

Yes, its been streetrodded, and its a long way from being Henry Ford's idea of a 37 pickup. But its even farther away from being a 1936, which is what it is advertised to be. Although it may be a modified 37, it is in no way whatsoever a 1936.

Mike B 10-18-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 747116)

It's true for sure...but not just in this hobby, but in every hobby.

I honestly think though, it's really about the negotiation...eff the slime ball who low balls, if you (aunt mable at 90 years old, lets say) can't deal with a negotiation, then old Auntie out to have someone else do it for her...you can't fault the CGG that stole it for the price...sure, you can fault him for the shape it was portrayed as, ...but not for getting a "steal" on it...heck, 90% of sellers don't reveal all the things they know about.

I mean heck, even at 17 years old, I'd go into the Stereo shop, and say "that the best you can do on those speakers?"..

Heck, even had my wife walk away from me at Sears when buying a kitchen table and chairs...

Lol...she's still walking in Pa. somewhere:)

26 roadster 10-18-2013 10:25 PM

All I can say, It's a peice of JUNK with that motor in it,,,,,,,

ford38v8 10-18-2013 11:19 PM

I like Ryan's point of view. A classic car dealer is a car salesman first and foremost. He's a smooth talker, and able to talk a cars value up or down like turning a light switch on or off. He's nurtured a reputation for himself as an avid collector and hobbyist, but of course, he'll reluctantly sell his pride and joy if you meet his price.

I shouldn't say more, as I'm afraid I've already given too many guys more than they need to put a name on him, and I'm quite sure that there are more guys like him than will ever read this rant anyway. Not that I'm afraid he'll sue for libel, as he's really quite proud of his dealings, ...After all, it is his hobby.

V12Bill 10-19-2013 08:41 AM

It used to be that a car was what ever year it was first registered in. I had a 1948 Lincoln that was first registered in Penna. in December of 1947 and thus it was forever a 1947 even though the serial number started out as 8H. This pickup could have had the same paper work done to it and the seller is too ignorant to know the difference.

TJ 10-19-2013 09:10 AM

I recently saw a 37 coupe on e-Bay and the seller said it had a "fixed' windshield". He said it was an option? I politely e-mailed him and said the all 37's had the crank out windshield. He did e-mail me back and said thanks for the info, but he never changed the ad.

bart78 10-19-2013 09:31 AM

I think a lot of people just don't know what they are. I had a guy the other day say they had a 40 coupe. Drove about fourty miles to go look at it. Got out there and it was a 46 four door sedan. I looked at it for about five seconds and asked him where the fourty was. He argued with me that it was a fourty coupe. I showed him a pic of one on my phone to shut him up. Then he got mad because I did not want to buy it. I guess the only thing you can do when it come to sellers like these. Is not buy from them. The way it sounds to me no one is interested in it anyway.

Barry-ct 10-19-2013 03:24 PM

I've run into the same problem. Most are polite, some will change thier listings. But, there are alot of jerks who send a nasty reply. Egos and know it alls seem to be a rampant problem these days. I gave up, if thier listing is wrong, it's wrong. Sooner or later, they'll find out.

Ross F-1 10-19-2013 03:44 PM

Makes me wonder if the car isn't TITLED using a junk '36 car's paperwork?? Even worse...

hotrodA 10-19-2013 07:44 PM

The ad PLAINLY says 1937 CUSTOM Ford pickup...............

The seller must have taken your friendly advice.

So, it's a "street rod". Build a bridge, etc etc etc.

Scott H in Wheaton 10-19-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodA (Post 747892)
The ad PLAINLY says 1937 CUSTOM Ford pickup...............

The seller must have taken your friendly advice.

Yep, ad says it was updated Oct 19. Maybe someone else chimed in and he finally took the advice.

itslow 10-19-2013 10:45 PM

At least the '36 and '37 pickups are fairly close to the same.

There's a '28/29 roadster pickup that's listed as a '32. That's not even close!

flatford8 10-20-2013 01:54 PM

It's an awful color....IMHO.....