The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How about this (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216682)

Charlie ny 03-14-2017 07:37 AM

How about this

My trusty test motor spent it's first four years in my '41 1/2 ton after a thorough rebuild. The motor moved the '41 about 8500 miles mostly at highway speeds. Now it resides on its stand loyally testing parts.........am I
ruining it test by test ?
Charlie ny

G.M. 03-14-2017 08:49 AM

Re: How about this

Time will tell. G.M.

flatjack9 03-14-2017 09:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about. Let it warm up good each time and give it a good rev now and then.

Seth Swoboda 03-14-2017 09:16 AM

I cant see how it's much different than stationary power units with the exception it doesn't get a load put on it. But neither do most generators. That's a thought, put a gen set on it and you have a test engine that also provides power.

tubman 03-14-2017 09:56 AM

I don't know if it applies, but what about the over the road truckers who let their rigs idle for hours on end without causing any problems? I don't think the piston ring/cylinder wall relationship is much different from gasoline engines.

drolston 03-14-2017 10:07 AM

Check all of the plugs to be sure it is not running rich in any cylinder. If you are holding decent oil pressure at idle and not drenching the cylinder walls with gas, you are probably okay.

JSeery 03-14-2017 10:34 AM

The time period that idle or load are critical is during initial brake in. Keeping RPMs up and varied has to do with camshaft brake in and having a load on the engine has to do with helping seating the rings. Sounds like your well past that time period!

Jason in TX 03-14-2017 11:07 AM

No. Enjoy it.

Sounds like you could build another if you needed to.

Seth Swoboda 03-14-2017 11:20 AM

Idle and no load is harder on a diesel engine, specifically injectors. Lots of folks these days buy diesel pickups and don't pull a load. They just drive them up and down the road for normal driving. That's hard on diesel injectors. You really need to pull a diesel engine hard from time to time to keep that fuel system clean. Get that engine warmed up.

Bruce Lancaster 03-15-2017 11:37 AM

Your motor has a job and a good home...what more could a flathead need?

Drbrown 03-15-2017 10:27 PM

Hey ! No blizzards, storms, floods or cold weather to endure. Just sit there and hum-away. What could be a better life. Probably likes the TV on and a box of chocolates handy. Does it give you a report card regarding the parts you rebuild and test on it ? :D

PS: I'll be sending some more parts to you to keep it busy.

Tinker 03-15-2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1442474)
I cant see how it's much different than stationary power units with the exception it doesn't get a load put on it. But neither do most generators. That's a thought, put a gen set on it and you have a test engine that also provides power.

But generators "once" used run for a while and do have a load.

I agree it's alright.

Ol' Ron 03-16-2017 08:31 AM

I wouldn't worry about it after all, it's well broken in and all the pieces parts are happy. Change the oil often to keep the bad stuff out. Considering the fact that it a tool to provide the quality parts you make, it's worth it.

Seth Swoboda 03-16-2017 08:56 AM

I had a mechanic tell me recently that he see's more engine issues with guys that have diesel pickups that idle around with no load than gas engines that idle and see no load. Of course modern gasoline engines are much different than our beloved flatheads. I just thought his remarks were interesting. A diesel engine operates cooler than a gas engine but it's good to get a diesel warmed up pulling a load.