The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shout out to Bert's (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199852)

Marshall57 07-05-2016 10:52 PM

Shout out to Bert's

Just want to give credit where credit is due. Went to Loveland Colorado for the National meet and decided to swing south into Denver for a look a Bert's Model A parts place.

I had ordered from there in the past and wanted to take advantage of my proximity to the place for a closer look. Seems I was only one in a flood of likeminded folks who were descending on their shop for the same reason.

To try to make this a shorter read, I will just say that I was taken for an unexpected ride of helpfulness and personal attention that you never ever see in the world today.
I was looking at manifolds and remarked that I couldn't get mine surfaced in Elko for under $185 and he just smiled and told me what I already knew, and that was I was being ripped off. I found out they did that kind of work on site, and also the gentleman who did the work was there at that very time.
I asked how long it would take to get something like that done, and he hollered back and asked if the man was back there, he was and he said he could do the work now! I jumped at the chance and got the manifolds off and handed them over. He had them done in what seemed like moments.

I was able to get any gasket nut, or bolt needed for anything I could think of right there on the spot.

I had a wind wing coming apart due to a broken part. I asked about it and he pulled out a box of odds and ends instead of wanting to sell me the whole set of hardware. He found the correct matching parts and I got them for a song. I am still not over the great people that I met there.

Thanks again for the help and restoring my faith in people in general.

DougVieyra 07-05-2016 11:09 PM

Re: Shout out to Bert's

Things like that are what makes a person 'A legend in his own time'; and whose name will live far longer than the person himself !

PeteVS 07-06-2016 05:25 AM

I just got a couple orders from Bert's and I was pleased.

c125bob 07-06-2016 07:44 AM

Always pleased with Berts.

Jeff/Illinois 07-06-2016 10:28 AM

Bert's is the Macy's of Model A Ford stuff. First class guys and first rate parts!

Toss in A&L, Snyder's, and Bratton's and it can't get any better.

Slotblog 07-06-2016 01:49 PM

Let me second (and third and...) the OP's opinion of Bert's. It is not possible to have a more pleasant experience than the interaction I had with the people there.

I'm guessing you were dealing with the owner, Steve Becker, whom I have not met though we've talked via phone several times.

The most astonishing part of my trip to drive my '30 Tudor home to Georgia from Oregon in 2014 was stopping at Bert's. Steve was away that Saturday but his long-time friend Joe Wylie saw some 'issues' on the car and offered to do a good bit of work on it while the company was closed Saturday and Sunday, if I was willing and you bet I was! Joe set a legal pad on the counter and he'd write down whatever parts he took from inventory. From about 2 PM on Saturday until about 9:30 PM Sunday night, Joe worked on the car for a total of 22 hours! When we picked the car up late Sunday, I offered to leave my credit card number, since Joe couldn't give me a total, but Joe said Steve'll just call you when he gets it all added up.

It took me almost three weeks to get Steve to generate a total so I could pay him. I don't recall the exact amount but it was considerably over $1,000. (Joe's labor bill was so embarrasingly low I paid him more than he asked for, too.)

Not too many companies left on this planet like Bert's...

Slotblog 07-06-2016 02:04 PM

My generator crapped out on the Natchez Trace a few days later, and when Joe Wylie called to check on us (as he did every single day for the remainder of our trip home!), he advised going with one of the postive-ground alternators. I inquired whether it would be possible for Bert's to overnight me one on Monday, even though they are closed on Mondays. Joe said he'd go grab one from the store and ship it out from the ice-maker company where he is a refrigeration engineer.

But when he called Steve to let him know what he was going to do, Steve said he'd just go down to the store and ship it from there himself. Again, I was not asked for a credit card number.

There are not enough superlatives in the English language to express how I feel about Bert's.

Indiana A. Lover 07-06-2016 06:44 PM

When I was just getting started in the land of Model A , I needed a part, Steve said what does it do? I explaned He sent Parts I was good to go!! Thanks Steve;)

jax55 07-06-2016 09:22 PM

I have never met Steve in person, but have had phone and email interaction with him.
I needed B pillars for my Sport Coupe that had been turned into a convertible and all was cut off (doors too). He found some in his used stuff, cut them off and sent them to me as well as giving me A LOT of helpful information and guidance.
I buy everything I can from Bert's and will for a long as they stay in business and the company they are.