The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flathead OHV conversions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286115)

JSeery 08-24-2020 02:37 PM

Flathead OHV conversions

Speedway has an article on OHV conversions. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...t=toolbox-hero

mfagan 08-24-2020 02:58 PM

Re: Flathead OHV conversions

Great article!

19Fordy 08-24-2020 04:57 PM

Pure beauty. Thanks for posting.

Tim Ayers 08-24-2020 05:32 PM

That shaft driven DOHC one is pure mechanical art.

tubman 08-24-2020 05:41 PM

Interesting, but no Riley's?

V8COOPMAN 08-24-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1923810)
Interesting, but no Riley's?

From memory, I thought Riley was 4-cylinder stuff, but WTF do I know? DD

tubman 08-24-2020 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine's grandfather ran an OHV Riley converted V8 in a sprint car in the fifties. It was not very successful. He had formerly been very successful running a 4-Port Riley on a banger here in Minnesota. The car eventually went to a guy in Rochester Minnesota who restored it. I had a chance to buy it for $14,000 about 25 years ago and passed (arrgh). It eventually went through Wayne Carini's hands (he did something with the car itself), while the engine (a '37 21 stud, I believe) ended up with some high-buck hotrodder (Don Orosco, perhaps?) and went into a car that won AMBR at Oakland several years ago.

If you take a close look at the intake setup, I think you will be able to see why it wasn't a world beater. I have also heard that the engine was very, hmmm, "delicate".

I have this picture on this computer. I think I have more if anyone is interested.

Tim Ayers 08-24-2020 08:18 PM

Riley did make a few V8 sets. I think it's like single digits the number of sets they made.

Those cracklin' Riley 4 port bangers did run really well.

Here is an old thread from the HAMB on the V8 stuff. Great read

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...d-sohc.377757/

uncle buck 08-25-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1923865)
A friend of mine's grandfather ran an OHV Riley converted V8 in a sprint car in the fifties. It was not very successful. He had formerly been very successful running a 4-Port Riley on a banger here in Minnesota. The car eventually went to a guy in Rochester Minnesota who restored it. I had a chance to buy it for $14,000 about 25 years ago and passed (arrgh). It eventually went through Wayne Carini's hands (he did something with the car itself), while the engine (a '37 21 stud, I believe) ended up with some high-buck hotrodder (Don Orosco, perhaps?) and went into a car that won AMBR at Oakland several years ago.

If you take a close look at the intake setup, I think you will be able to see why it wasn't a world beater. I have also heard that the engine was very, hmmm, "delicate".

I have this picture on this computer. I think I have more if anyone is interested.

Ermie Immerso possibly? I seem to recall he had an AMBR winner with an ohv converted flathead

itslow 08-25-2020 11:22 AM

I have an Ardun, but I've always been partial to the Adams-Moeller.

tubman 08-25-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle buck (Post 1924011)
Ermie Immerso possibly? I seem to recall he had an AMBR winner with an ohv converted flathead

The H.A.M.B. thread referenced by "Tim Ayres" confirms that it was Orosco.

Ronnieroadster 08-25-2020 02:39 PM

There certainly an interesting selection of OHV conversions made for the Ford flathead 21 and 24 stud V-8 blocks. Without a doubt the best of them all when you take into account reliability, simplicity of the installation and the overall power gained its the ARDUN conversion. First offered to the public in 1947 only 73 years ago.
Ronnieroadster

27TV8 08-25-2020 09:59 PM

ED "ISKY" Has Maxi heads on his roadster,anyone know anything about these heads? Are his the only ones?

Ronnieroadster 08-26-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27TV8 (Post 1924251)
ED "ISKY" Has Maxi heads on his roadster,anyone know anything about these heads? Are his the only ones?

The Maxi heads are overhead on the intake side only I believe thats whats called an F head. The flathead V-8 exhaust ports are still used. Iskys Maxi 21 stud conversion is on a 1932 Ford V-8. He built his roadster in 1936 to this day the car is still exactly how he built it in 36 same paint ,tires, engine and most every thing else. Knowing Isky he did not pay much for that 32 V-8 it was probably one of the early take outs form that first year of V-8 production those early engines had issues with oil consumption so the take outs would have been very cheap to buy from the Ford dealers back then.
Ronnieroadster

Ardun 08-26-2020 04:17 PM

Others are great, but I like my ARDUN