The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263856)

Forddan 05-24-2019 06:13 AM

ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Hi all

Sorry if it is a naive question , but I couldn't find an answer online.

Anyone knows if ZDDP additive will react with or affect yellow metals ?

Thanks !!
Daniel - Forddan-

noboD 05-24-2019 08:12 AM

Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

You don't need ZDDP so it wouldn't matter.

updraught 05-24-2019 08:13 AM

Google "ZDDP yellow metals"

Here is one:
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...hydraulic-oils

Railcarmover 05-24-2019 08:29 AM

Applying torque to shafts beared by yellow metals causes wear,Not only yellow metals,all shaft bearing and reciprocal components wear due to this phenomena.Making a planter out your model a is the best way to prevent this wear,owners of open cars have a distinct advantage is this regard,why you could feed your family with a phaeton garden.

Forddan 05-24-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1760900)
Google "ZDDP yellow metals"

Here is one:
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...hydraulic-oils

Thank you !!! I missed this one or I misread it. Nevertheless on thst link is the answer to my question !!!

Thank you to all and have a great long weekend.

Daniel

duke36 05-24-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forddan (Post 1760875)
Hi all

Thanks !!
Daniel - Forddan-

It can, but zinc not necessary in trannies, rear ends and steering gears, etc. Rotella and other motor oils used to be higher in zinc, but it was found to affect catalytic convertors. Some people add the ZDDP to motor oil (not hydraulic oil) in classic cars for the valve train.

Jim Brierley 05-24-2019 11:30 AM

Zink is not near as important in engines with steel cams as it is in cast iron cams, our A's have steel cams, and low valve spring pressure. Oil manufacturers do not recommend diesel oil to be used in gasoline engines.

Forddan 05-24-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1760980)
It can, but zinc not necessary in trannies, rear ends and steering gears, etc. Rotella and other motor oils used to be higher in zinc, but it was found to affect catalytic convertors. Some people add the ZDDP to motor oil (not hydraulic oil) in classic cars for the valve train.

Duke36, ZDDP will not be a problem to the transmission gears ?

If I use a mixture of 600W oil and STP, the ZDDP will not be a problem ? Also for any yellow metal I could have there ? Mine is a January 29 Tudor and I do not have idea how much is still original in the transmission.

Pete 05-24-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forddan (Post 1760875)
Hi all

Thanks !!
Daniel - Forddan-

It can in the laboratory. Used in proper quantity, not so you can notice it in any part of a car. It is beneficial in reducing wear in hard metal contact areas such as gears, cams, ball and roller bearings, valve guides and piston rings.

duke36 05-24-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forddan (Post 1761010)

If I use a mixture of 600W oil and STP, the ZDDP will not be a problem ? Also for any yellow metal I could have there ? Mine is a January 29 Tudor and I do not have idea how much is still original in the transmission.

Search other threads. Lot's of discussion about motor oils and gear lubes.
The Porsche club of America did some tests where 356 engines were broken down and measured for valve train components wear with and without zinc rich oils. The zinc rich oils did help some.
Some of the "600 w" oils form the vendors look and feel like today's SAE 140 gear oil and are not always equivalent to the heavy molasses consistency of the 1930' s versions. Penrite and Lubriplate SPO 299 (which I use) offer SAE 250 wt. which I believe is closer to the original and is yellow metal friendly. It takes longer to warm up in the tranny but doesn't foam as much. I prefer no ZDDP or STP in the classics we work on except sometimes some small amounts of zinc added in the motor oil

M2M 05-24-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forddan (Post 1761010)

How many more times are you going to ask the same question? This is your second thread on the same issue in as many days and numerous people have answered it and provided links for further reading. People have told you what trans oils you can buy that are thicker than 600w as well as being yellow metal safe and where to buy them. What don't you still understand?

Forddan 05-25-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1761156)
How many more times are you going to ask the same question? This is your second thread on the same issue in as many days and numerous people have answered it and provided links for further reading. People have told you what trans oils you can buy that are thicker than 600w as well as being yellow metal safe and where to buy them. What don't you still understand?

My question was to Ducke36 and he answered it. Thank you Duck36 !!!

Cheers
Daniel

M2M 05-25-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forddan (Post 1760908)
Thank you !!! I missed this one or I misread it. Nevertheless on thst link is the answer to my question !!!

Thank you to all and have a great long weekend.

Daniel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forddan (Post 1761168)
My question was to Ducke36 and he answered it. Thank you Duck36 !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Yes, you asked Ducke36 the question again after you already had the answer from a link updraught gave you further up. Thanks Ducke36!