The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First adventure with my new phaeton (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165709)

a. griffin 04-05-2015 08:01 PM

First adventure with my new phaeton

1 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago I joined this forum as a new phaEton owner. Last night was the first local car show in our area and decided to take the car out.

The car was a hit as I expected. As we left, it became clear that the headlights draw to much power for the master kill switch installed by the previous owner. We blew a fuse that left us dead in the water at the main entrance in front of everyone. After a few tense moments, I realized the problem, got a new fuse and off we went.

Today I decided to take my bride for an Easter drive to a local park.....about a five mile round trip. The park was full and everyone stopped what they were doing to watch am old car go by.

Everything was fine except for the last mile. The car started losing power until I advanced the spark. The car seemed to run better but the idle was up more than expected.

We made it back safely and the wife was actually having a good time.

Here is a couple photos of the car. Please don't judge to harshly. It'll come around eventually.

Mitch//pa 04-05-2015 08:07 PM

Re: First adventure with my new phaeton

thats great enjoy it.. and good job on the fuse

did you ever read the owners manual?
http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-upload...ion-Manual.pdf

Mitch//pa 04-05-2015 08:30 PM

you may want to check your headlight wiring for a short.. a common spot is the pigtail connection at the buckets...

a. griffin 04-05-2015 08:37 PM

I'll double check. I installed a new light harness last weekend.

Jim/GA 04-05-2015 09:41 PM

Cool!

I had a birthday party to go to on Saturday night or I would have been at the show with an A.

Sorry to miss seeing yours.

a. griffin 04-05-2015 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the crooked picture

Tom Wesenberg 04-05-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a. griffin (Post 1063970)
Sorry for the crooked picture

I thought maybe you were hill climbing.:D

Tiny 04-05-2015 10:56 PM

Looks like it's done to me. Get her running real good and wear out the tires.

Whatever you do don't put whitewalls on her!!:)

Mike V. Florida 04-05-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny (Post 1064023)
Looks like it's done to me. Get her running real good and wear out the tires.

Whatever you do don't put whitewalls on her!!:)

Same here!

Just needs a little more tweeking. You will be fine!!!

burner31 04-07-2015 11:04 AM

Is that a picture taken in the '30's or a recent picture that you tweaked to look old, doesn't matter...looks good.
And I like whitewalls...there, I said it.

mshmodela 04-07-2015 11:40 AM

Great job, keep in mind that these are 84+ fickle Ladies we drive and there are days they are not up to it. As analog machines there is a lot of gray between the lines.

DougVieyra 04-07-2015 11:44 AM

With all the hub-bub about white-wall tires, as in many differing viewpoints, a bit of compromise is usually the best resolution to confilicting opinions. Hence my recommendation that we put white-walls on the driver's side (if you like them) and black-walls on the passenger's side. If you don't like whitewalls, put them on the passenger's side and blackwalls on the driver's side.

I am sure everyone (who notices such things) will complement you on your decisive manor of conflict resolution, and your well-known brilliance will grow even greater !

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, California

29tudorsedan 04-07-2015 03:39 PM

Nice car! I saw it at chickasha and wondered if it went home with someone, a very nice car that looked ready to be used and maintained! Have fun!

jmeckel 04-07-2015 05:31 PM

For the loosing power question. Check your points to make sure the gap is right, if you installed a new pair they can have rub block issues that will caise the gap to be drastically reduced.

a. griffin 04-07-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1064923)
Is that a picture taken in the '30's or a recent picture that you tweaked to look old, doesn't matter...looks good.
And I like whitewalls...there, I said it.

Its a picture I just tweaked. Looks convincingly authentic to me though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1064945)
With all the hub-bub about white-wall tires, as in many differing viewpoints, a bit of compromise is usually the best resolution to confilicting opinions. Hence my recommendation that we put white-walls on the driver's side (if you like them) and black-walls on the passenger's side. If you don't like whitewalls, put them on the passenger's side and blackwalls on the driver's side.

I am sure everyone (who notices such things) will complement you on your decisive manor of conflict resolution, and your well-known brilliance will grow even greater !

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, California

What about putting whitewalls on the inside and leaving the blackwalls out? Seriously, I'm looking for new(er) blackwalls now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29tudorsedan (Post 1065132)
Nice car! I saw it at chickasha and wondered if it went home with someone, a very nice car that looked ready to be used and maintained! Have fun!

Thanks. Definitely needs work but it'll come around. Decided at 5:30 Thursday night to make the 7 hour drive for the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmeckel (Post 1065213)
For the loosing power question. Check your points to make sure the gap is right, if you installed a new pair they can have rub block issues that will caise the gap to be drastically reduced.

I will definitely look into that.