The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Safety cage? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336356)

Feurst choice 03-04-2024 02:15 AM

Safety cage?

Maybe I am too anxious, but it does not feel safe taking my small grandchildren for a ride in my 29 Tudor. Have anyone been thinking of installing some kind of safety cage in a model A for touring purpose? There must be others having the same feeling??

old31 03-04-2024 05:13 AM

Re: Safety cage?

What, Huh?

Bruce of MN 03-04-2024 06:27 AM

A real roll cage like race cars have would be a very extensive modification. I rely on the experience of 60 years of driving and 54 years of motorcycle riding to avoid accidents. Riding in a 2024 Mercedes S500 is not without risk.

nkaminar 03-04-2024 07:33 AM

As you get older you wise up. The best drivers are the safest ones.

Feurst, A lot depends on where you live and where you drive there. I like 4 lane rural roads with 55 mph speed limits. The people who want to pass can and not ride your bumper. The in town roads with 25 mph speed limits can also be safe but you have to watch out for idiots who run red lights or want to pass you just because you are driving an older car. Don't assume that just because you have a green light that you are safe to go. Move over when safe for impatient drivers. Leave plenty of space in front of you. Avoid accidents looking for a place to happen.

Group tours are probably one of the safest things you can do. Stay in the middle of the pack and keep plenty of distance in front of you. The tours are usually at a slower speed even on the interstate. Impatient drivers are usually stuck at the rear of the pack. Watch out for people pulling out from side roads. Make sure your brakes are top notch. If you have to stop on the road, pull well off. Have working turn indicators and hazard lights.

Dino's A 03-04-2024 08:48 AM

Great idea! A cage to surround you with a 10 or 11 gallon tank
of gas at your front lap.

marc silva 03-04-2024 09:12 AM

Just make sure you have quality seatbelts and that they are installed correctly. Also make sure that passenger door latch works properly as well. You don’t want the door popping open and then have someone “hanging” out the door. I thought about that when my kids were real little. You can’t just reach over and pull them back in the upright position . Then, go out and enjoy the car ��

JayJay 03-04-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feurst choice (Post 2295337)
Maybe I am too anxious, but it does not feel safe taking my small grandchildren for a ride in my 29 Tudor. Have anyone been thinking of installing some kind of safety cage in a model A for touring purpose? There must be others having the same feeling??

You don’t define “small”. In many states there are requirements for child restraints (child seats, for example) that almost always require lap belts to hold them to the passenger seat. In some states they apply up to age 8, at which point I’m not sure “small” would still apply. Granted Model As don’t have the side impact resistance of a modern car, but your efforts to make things safer for your grandkids might be better spent securing them in their seats with good lap belts and child restraints rather than creating a cage for them to rattle around in. Grandma, and my daughter, would not let me take the grandkids without them!

Pete 03-04-2024 12:55 PM

Bruce of MN 03-04-2024 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 2295418)
I had a Bonneville legal cage in my 30 2 door for about a year when I was rally and autocross racing it. .

What diff ratio?

dmar836 03-04-2024 06:15 PM

So are you afraid of a rollover or of a side impact? By the time you rule out the possible next worst scenario, and on and on, it will likely be silly looking and a source of a false sense of security.

Like trying to make a motorcycle safe, at some point I would put my efforts into another form of entertaining transportation or at least a different car. Then again, I would not take a small child on a motorcycle so the problem, as you describe it, would be solved.

Smokedtires 03-04-2024 07:14 PM

Before you install any type of roll bar/cage, check with your insurance company. They might not insure it because it'll be considered a racecar in their eyes.

WHN 03-04-2024 08:16 PM

After 65 years owning Model A Fords I gave up in 2022 and sold the last one.

Safety had become one of the biggest reasons it was sitting in our garage.

My family now drive Volvo’s. Do you think that is an over reaction?

spdway1 03-04-2024 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the one I currently use. It fits 2, ages 0-7 years.:)

Pete 03-04-2024 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce of MN (Post 2295482)
What diff ratio?

8 inch Ford. 4:10.
T5 with #202 gear set.

johnneilson 03-04-2024 09:08 PM

Hmm,
Adding a cage to any street car is not recommended, a properly designed and built cage will become dangerous unless you wear a helmet.

I have looked at a couple sedan type model A's that had reinforcement added inside the vertical corners tied properly to the frame to add rigidity.

You cannot make a Model A safe per todays standards but you can choose where to drive it and control the speed. Drive it and enjoy it for what it is. Don't forget to take pictures of the Grand kids in the car, they grow up too fast.

J

dmar836 03-04-2024 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdway1 (Post 2295511)
This is the one I currently use. It fits 2, ages 0-7 years.:)

Absolutely classic!

dmar836 03-04-2024 10:39 PM

I think johnneilson pretty much summed it up. Very well said.

Feurst choice 03-05-2024 02:21 AM

Thanks all for Your opinions!

jack wingard 03-05-2024 07:10 AM

You wouldn't be so paranoid if other drivers weren't out to get you

Pete 03-05-2024 06:39 PM

This whole thread has become a crock.