The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Installing engine w/o transmission (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232147)

W1964 10-28-2017 09:05 AM

Installing engine w/o transmission

We pulled the engine (only) on my 39 Coupe and encountered some unanticipated difficulties. Biggest problem was raising the engine high enough to clear the cross member while maintaining the engine and transmission on the same plane. My concern now is reinstalling the engine after rebuild. Should I go back with the oil pan removed? The other option seems to be to jack the front of the transmission up to allow the engine to be coupled. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much for your input. Bill

qmdv 10-28-2017 10:07 AM

Re: Installing engine w/o transmission

Jack up transmission

drolston 10-28-2017 10:54 AM

Ditto. A jack under the transmission is essential. With the engine floating just above the front mounts, jack the transmission to align for a straight shot. Another valuable tool is a load leveler on the engine hoist.

If there was any misalignment between engine and transmission when separating, there is a chance that the clutch disk got shifted a bit off center. Be sure to check clutch disk alignment with an alignment tool (or old transmission front shaft) before trying to reinstall the engine. Nothing more frustrating after wrestling the engine into place than having the engine refuse to go that last half inch onto the transmission.

19Fordy 10-28-2017 12:01 PM

Keep the oil pan on the engine and do as suggested above. Have patience.

supereal 10-28-2017 12:58 PM

Pulling the engine without uncoupling from the transmission is the hard way. If problems with attaching the transmission in the car, be sure to use a good pilot tool to center the clutch disk in the pressure plate, and don't pack the pilot bearing in the flywheel with grease, as it will prevent getting the "last half inch".

Jack E/NJ 10-28-2017 01:45 PM

The aligning job can be greatly facilitated by temporarily using 4 or 5 long bolts or threaded rods when the engine & tranny start to get close enough together. Then snug them up to help align and pull the two parts together. Jack E/NJ

DD931 10-28-2017 02:14 PM

Have you considered going ahead and pulling the tranny so it can be mated with the engine and the assembly then installed the easy way?

Kube 10-28-2017 02:35 PM

If you jack up the transmission, you MUST unbolt the rear transmission to frame mount. If you don't you'll most likely break the mount.

Jack E/NJ 10-28-2017 03:20 PM

I've tried it both the easier and harder ways a half-dozen or so times. And actually find the harder way easier than the easier way. 8^) But neither way is pleasant alone. Jack E/NJ

qmdv 10-28-2017 03:37 PM

As said above. Some all thread rod or longer bolts with heads cut off for aligning is what I do even when coupling the engine to trans on garaged floor

Tim

W1964 10-29-2017 06:12 AM

There is $1000.00 worth of solid advice here. Thanks guys. Now I can't wait to tackle this!