The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   why would someone do this (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106441)

fredski 05-17-2013 07:01 PM

why would someone do this

any body remember my post knock knock . this engine purchased
from a model a member and was supposedly been
totally rebuilt, balanced ,adjustable lifters and more. did have a perfect green paint job.
engine is out of car now and apart. rear main bearing is missing
some babbit pieces, lifters are stock, no shims anywhere on rods
or mains. was all so leaking water at bellhousing?/

still have my original engine which leaked oil, and blow by which I will
rebuild the best I can.

just blowing off steam fredski

James Rogers 05-17-2013 07:04 PM

Re: why would someone do this

Some people think a paint job is a rebuild. There have been scammers for ever.

Mikeinnj 05-17-2013 07:13 PM

'Caveat Emptor' .... "Let the buyer beware". It sounds like you bought a spray can rebuild.

I once bought a "good used block" and had it baked clean and magnafluxed; a crack was found and an attempt to do a "lock stitch" repair failed. It could not be repaired and was scrapped. The purchase price plus the machine shop bill was several hundred dollars for what turned out to be a boat anchor. It turned out the only thing useable in that engine was the crankshaft. I since learned to only buy used parts on a money back guarantee basis. Good luck with your rebuild.

John S 05-17-2013 07:59 PM

Many years ago a late model Ford pickup came into the shop with what looked like a brand new engine in it. The thing was making lifter noise like crazy. Customer had us pull the valve cover and the engine was full of sludge. He then pulled out a bill from the garage up the street and showed it to us. He had been charged for a rebuilt short block and a valve job. All he got was a junkyard motor with fresh paint. The guy that did the "work" was a known scammer (at least to us).

eagle 05-17-2013 08:44 PM

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

Banky 05-18-2013 06:36 AM

I get the whole "buyer beware" thing, but what about having integrity! And a little class.
I'm a believer in karma, what comes around goes around. I'm also a believer in a good old fashion ass beating for scumbags.

fredski 05-18-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banky (Post 653709)
I get the whole "buyer beware" thing, but what about having integrity! And a little class.
I'm a believer in karma, what comes around goes around. I'm also a believer in a good old fashion ass beating for scumbags.

im too old to give a guy a beating.. can I give you his address.

fred

Tom Wesenberg 05-18-2013 06:56 AM

#6 and #7 is great! Thanks for the laugh.:D:p

James Rogers 05-18-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banky (Post 653709)

Some people have no integrity, it's all about the almighty dollar. I hope I never get to that point, I value friendship too much.

rollingsculpture 05-20-2013 12:25 PM

sorry to hear about your motor , had a feeling that was the case, just not such a bad case
hopefully you can find a real sweet motor for a good price to make up the karmic difference . all the best

Mike

Bob/Kansas City 05-20-2013 04:09 PM

There's an engine on ebay right now that the seller claims has been rebuilt but never started.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330924859907...84.m1438.l2649

When I messaged him asking when the engine had been rebuilt and by
whom, what care had been taken of the engine and what the vin number was I got no response other than the vin number.
Not sure if he just doesn't know or if there is something to hide.
If he didn't know at least he could acknowledge that so someone can bid accordingly. As they say "buyer beware"

fredski 05-20-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollingsculpture (Post 654996)
sorry to hear about your motor , had a feeling that was the case, just not such a bad case
hopefully you can find a real sweet motor for a good price to make up the having new pistons karmic difference . all the best

Mike

still have the engine that was in the car when I purchased it in 1970
which I believe is original to the car. been under a bench for a long
time now,, but I am now in the process of having it restored.
getting a 20 over bore new pistons ,valves, mains rebabbitted,rods
refurbished and other upgrades.

should have done this, instead of buying that lousy rebuild.

fredski

ronn 05-20-2013 09:32 PM

out of curiosity, why is there not a place to post on the barn where people can be recommended for their work and where they can also be listed, so that nobody else gets screwed....?
This guys name should be circulated, so it doesn't happen again.

luckyal 05-21-2013 05:52 AM

The suggestion in # 13 indeed has merit ! A list of scammers !
Al

Ross/Kzoo 05-21-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 655352)
out of curiosity, why is there not a place to post on the barn where people can be recommended for their work and where they can also be listed, so that nobody else gets screwed....?

There are two sides to many stories and sometimes we don't don't hear it all on the Barn. Some may be singled out without warrant.

ronn 05-21-2013 07:23 AM

of course that is true, that is why there are no jails in America.... ;)

seriously-why not just a list of "recommended" then?

there really can't be much of a story to a "painted" motor being a rebuild....

QGolden 05-21-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Yah, be nice in theory, but that is a tough call. Very risky to start listing names of folks who someone feels has done wrong, and then try them in the court of public opinion. Folks who outright deceive don't last long, because they do not get any repeat business and word of mouth is swift.

QGolden 05-21-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 655492)
of course that is true, that is why there are no jails in America.... ;)

seriously-why not just a list of "recommended" then?

there really can't be much of a story to a "painted" motor being a rebuild....

There is of sorts, in the sticky at the top of this page. A list of A and AA websites and contacts.

John Stone 05-21-2013 08:01 AM

A lot of "totally restored" cars just have a paint job and new interior. Chassis work is not done. As for the engine, they are betting the person that buys it isn't going to drive it more than 100 miles per year and won't understand that they shouldn't leak a cup of oil every time it is shut off.

Chris in CT 05-21-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, You have to be really careful here. By putting up a list of "scammers" we would be treading into the territory of legal slander, which is a place none of us want to go. We could recommend shops that we have had good experience with, and leave out the ones which are dubious, but what would prevent a real "scammer" from arranging to have their operation listed as a recommended one? Also, what about the legitimate, competent shop that for some reason was neglected when this list of recommended shops was assembled? It seems to me that we have a pretty good method which is already in place, and that is when a Fordbarner asks online for recommendations of a shop near to him that can do a good job. The answers to the frequent question invariably overlap. Happy motoring!