The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vintage Grease Gun (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153918)

Fibber Mcgee 11-05-2014 09:15 AM

Vintage Grease Gun

Anyone have any suggestions on a period correct (1940s) grease gun. I see them all over ebay but I can't tell the difference between a 40s and 60s. I want one to use on my car that is of the period.

42guy 11-05-2014 07:17 PM

Re: Vintage Grease Gun

There was an older issue of the V8 Times that had pictures of all the available grease guns. I can't remember which one but maybe some one can chime in.

rotorwrench 11-05-2014 07:23 PM

A lot of the early type guns were a pain to use. I stick with the late models that have a pistol grip and a flex hose.

ford38v8 11-05-2014 10:40 PM

You actually want to hand pack a grease gun? Listen to Rotorwrench.

Fibber Mcgee 11-06-2014 06:33 AM

I know I'm odd. I have alot of period correct tools as well as personal items(razor,pens,watches). I know for alot of people this is a hobby about the love of Old cars especially Flatheads but while I do love Fords for me it's more about the era. I want to see what it's like to work on a Ford with period tools just like using a period razor or pen it's not about the razor or pen it's about using and experiencing them. Like I said before , might be nuts but if anyone has a picture of or a brand and styles from then let me know.

4dFord/SC 11-06-2014 06:52 AM

You can probably get one from Lynn Stacey, the EFV8 tool guru:[email protected]
Doubt that he'll have any vintage grease, though;)

Kurt in NJ 11-06-2014 08:54 AM

I have a lever type gun that has a "flexible hose" made of metal segments, I doubt it is any newer than 1950
For the model A I use an Altemite 6B automatic, there are versions for the A type of fittings and ones made for the snap on type like the 40 has --this is for sure something made in the 30s,40s

The easy way to "hand pack" one of these old guns is with a modern power grease gun-----some guns even have a fitting on the gun that can be used to fill it

this e-bay link is just for the picture, at Hershey I bought them for 1$ --some were priced as high as 20$ , but at 1$ I was able to buy 5 from different booths
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1940s-Al...item5666a59298

38Tudor 11-06-2014 09:35 AM

I agree Fibber, that's half the fun working on and maintaining cars with what they used back in the day. I'm the same way. I love it!

Fibber Mcgee 11-06-2014 09:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look for that 6B to start and thanks 32Tudor it's nice to know there are others.

Kahuna 11-06-2014 10:59 AM

I'm with Rotorwrench. I have an old one for display, but use the modern pistol type. Oh, and I use modern grease.

ford38v8 11-06-2014 12:52 PM

Fibber, The last time I used my father's straight razor, i cut my throat and bled to death! Ever since, I've used my Schick Injector exclusively. About 10 years ago when you coiuld no longer find blades in the drug stores, I went online and bought a lifetime supply for myself.

Don't ever fill an old fountain pen because the rubber is old and brittle. But that's another story.

As for the grease gun, I don't know how you'd get grease to the Universal bell without a flex or a swivel, and I've never seen either on the old guns.

Fibber Mcgee 11-06-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 976198)
Fibber, The last time I used my father's straight razor, i cut my throat and bled to death! Ever since, I've used my Schick Injector exclusively. About 10 years ago when you coiuld no longer find blades in the drug stores, I went online and bought a lifetime supply for myself.

Don't ever fill an old fountain pen because the rubber is old and brittle. But that's another story.

As for the grease gun, I don't know how you'd get grease to the Universal bell without a flex or a swivel, and I've never seen either on the old guns.

That's what I mean about learning about the past. I use a double edge razor ( 5 cent a blade) and I also learned how to rebuild a fountain pen. I use a fountain pen daily at work with no problems. I think alot of times new things aren't necessarily better just easier.

FrankWest 11-06-2014 05:52 PM

I need to get a grease gun.
I was going to get an original, but I really want something that is easy to use to grease all the joints on my 1933 as I am getting it ready for it;s test run.
What gun would really to a good job and be easy to work with...I have no one to help me.

Rowdy 11-06-2014 11:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are about as vintage as I have for suction guns and grease guns. Wish there was a book that would help ID what most of them are for. Although they don't look like much fun to use. Rod

Fibber Mcgee 11-07-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy (Post 976552)
These are about as vintage as I have for suction guns and grease guns. Wish there was a book that would help ID what most of them are for. Although they don't look like much fun to use. Rod

That's an impressive collection. I'm afraid if I go to far back I'd get the A type fitting. It's hard to tell which ones have the newer type fitting on ebay.

Rowdy 11-07-2014 09:39 AM

Its an unintentional collection. Most of them were in boxes of parts I bought at auctions with parts I actually needed or wanted. Will be listing all but the Model A grease gun on ebay sometime. Sure could use the shelf space. Rod

HCO41 11-07-2014 05:04 PM

This post brought back memories from 50+ years ago when my father and I cleaned out my grandfather's garage. I remembered an old milk box that he had stored his grease guns in that I hadn't opened for a long time. I didn't find a collection like Rowdy's but there are three interesting items along with several articulating accessories and a couple of braided flex hoses, all with Alemite connectors.
One is a lever type labeled Alemite Gat Gun Model 6637.

One has a threaded twist handle and is labeled Alemite Lubricator Manufactured by The Bassick Mfg. Co. Chicago, Ill. (No model #).

The third one is an Alemite Oil Twist gun. (no model #). The cap on the top is stamped "use light oil only"
I've cleaned up two of them and they are in excellent condition. The Leather seals are pliable and the twist oiler works.
What era are these items from? If it helps with estimating the time frame when these were manufactured and used, I am 73 yrs. old, the patent dates are 1918 and 1921 where shown, and my grandfather owned a model "T" and drove chain drive Macks on the job.
What memories!!
Howard

Fibber Mcgee 11-07-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy (Post 976703)
Its an unintentional collection. Most of them were in boxes of parts I bought at auctions with parts I actually needed or wanted. Will be listing all but the Model A grease gun on ebay sometime. Sure could use the shelf space. Rod

Pm me if you decide to sell any on ebay.

Rowdy 11-07-2014 11:23 PM

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want one before I get to these. Have several thousand parts before I get to that shelf. Rod

HCO41 11-14-2014 01:35 PM

This is in regard to my post #17. I've cleaned up the lubrication items mentioned and have decided to sell them, since I have no use for them.
These may fit the bill for Fibber McGee's original thread.
All are in excellent condition and are listed in Swap Meet with a picture. PM if interested.
Howard