The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MAFCA renewal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250220)

midgetracer 08-25-2018 02:37 PM

MAFCA renewal

I just received my renewal for MAFCA. $50 seems a lot for 4 magazines. While the magazines are nice, I do not believe that they are worth $12.50 per issue. There is no club in our state and so no other service is available to me. Does anyone have a convincing argument that would make me change my mind. I am on a fixed income and always short of operating cash. This forum answers all my questions missing only the pretty color pictures.
Undecided on renewal.

Bob C 08-25-2018 02:49 PM

Re: MAFCA renewal

I get six Restorers.:D

modelAsteve 08-25-2018 06:47 PM

Your club and it's officers get great coverage!

Ted Duke 08-25-2018 06:48 PM

IMHO supporting MAFCA and MARC keep the Model A alive. I own other antiques and there is nothing holding the owners together. The more of us that support the clubs and support the vendors the better off we all will be (and our children or grandchildren will be able to connect through the clubs). On-line is great, but it is NOT the same. Join a club.

Cape Codder 08-25-2018 07:05 PM

Well, to be precise it cost $8.33 because you do get 6 issuses, one issue every two months BUT I can see your point about NO club in N.D. I was going to suggest to go over the state line but by gosh you are smack in the middle of N.D. Only other thing to do is to start a club in your area or maybe between you and someone else you know that owns an A. Just my cent and a half!

Steve Plucker 08-25-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetracer (Post 1667280)
I just received my renewal for MAFCA. $50 seems a lot for 4 magazines. While the magazines are nice, I do not believe that they are worth $12.50 per issue. There is no club in our state and so no other service is available to me. Does anyone have a convincing argument that would make me change my mind. I am on a fixed income and always short of operating cash. This forum answers all my questions missing only the pretty color pictures.
Undecided on renewal.

6 issues...$8.33/issue...So just what would YOU like to see in a Model A magazine to make it worth just $8.33/issue????

Pluck

daveymc29 08-25-2018 10:31 PM

I wrote a little book and published it. Selling for $18.00+ on Amazon and I will be over 100 years old before I break even. Creating a magazine is costly and I'm sure our subscriptions alone would not have MAFCA able to support the Restorer for very long. They sell advertising to help with expenses. Still it is probably a loser financially for the club of just breaks even. This is a quality publication and is professionally done, though by volunteers. I buy membership in Mark as well to get their magazine also as well as subscribing to the Model A Times and a couple of the other old car and classic car publications. This forum is free and I understand that I am more fortunate than some financially but I do enjoy the reading of these publications so it it part of the cost of the hobby for me. This forum is definitely a bargain. The suggestion to start a chapter is a good one and many of the members you sign up will be ever so grateful you made the effort. Just meet formally once a month in someones home or garage until it gets off the ground. Have someone make a newsletter that you can send to all the members and exchange with other clubs. These generally just cost time now that they can be sent out as attachments to email. Has saved our local club from insolvency as mailing is costly also. Beg; borrow or steal a roster of mafca members and call the ones in your area and see if they have entertained thoughts of a local club. You may be surprised at the response. Let us know how it goes.

Mike V. Florida 08-25-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelAsteve (Post 1667349)
Your club and it's officers get great coverage!

I know MARC covers it's members as well on club events/outings. I don't know about MAFCA. Give the office a call.

john charlton 08-26-2018 01:21 AM

I have belonged to both clubs for over 30 years and regard the cost as very well worth it even if I pay more as I am a foreign member .I am a member of the AA truck club and the AZ restorers club both require that I belong to one of the national clubs which is logical.My MARC magazine comes in a nice sturdy envelope but the MAFCA comes in cellophane which might be a foreign postage thing.I like to store the mags in the envelope but the cellophane does not work for me !!!

John in very heavy rain on the way Suffolk County England.

Oldbluoval 08-26-2018 06:53 AM

It is/should be more than cost "per issue"
It supports a commons effort.
However, if it has to be calculated per issue.....I'd let it go.
It is for a "common cause/good"
Imho

1931 flamingo 08-26-2018 08:08 AM

I'm lucky, my son and his wife "spring" for it for my birthday :).
Paul in CT

Jim/GA 08-26-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1667471)
I have belonged to both clubs for over 30 years and regard the cost as very well worth it even if I pay more as I am a foreign member .I am a member of the AA truck club and the AZ restorers club both require that I belong to one of the national clubs which is logical.My MARC magazine comes in a nice sturdy envelope but the MAFCA comes in cellophane which might be a foreign postage thing.I like to store the mags in the envelope but the cellophane does not work for me !!!

John in very heavy rain on the way Suffolk County England.

John-
I use these slip case storage boxes to hold 2 years of The Restorer for longer term storage:

https://mafca.com/cart/products_pict...dise%20043.JPG

https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=145

They keep the magazines organized and help me get back to a specific issue any time I need one. There is a very comprehensive index available for all issues that I look things up in, and then pull the box with the issue I'm looking for.

;)

Bob-A 08-26-2018 09:05 AM

I'm sure more than a few of the older members here. Remember the arguments for (or against) combining the two national clubs. I for one think it would be a great idea. Unfortunately politics and most importantly ego's
are involved. So I doubt we will see that anytime soon....:p:eek:

Bob-A:D

jimalabam 08-26-2018 09:50 AM

Bob-A I don't disagree with you, BUT the idea has never worked or never will. Pluck: It is all there. Jim...

P.S. 08-26-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob-A (Post 1667546)
..... Unfortunately politics and most importantly ego's
are involved. So I doubt we will see that anytime soon....:p:eek:

Bob-A:D

I believe you are correct, Bob.

At the MAFCA convention, I walked up to the MAFCA table in the hospitality/pick-a-prize room and said, "What role do you perform for MAFCA?" (only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

Apparently, there are some pretty thin skinned people on the MAFCA board (or at least at the MAFCA booth). I have been doing the mah-f-ka/may-f-ka schtick for years and usually draw a chuckle, never before been in fear of an actual fist thrown my way except from the guy with the MAFCA polo shirt on at the MAFCA table in Reno.

And they wonder why they cannot get more young people like me involved...

M2M 08-26-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1667636)
At the MAFCA convention, I walked up to the MAFCA table in the hospitality/pick-a-prize room and said, "What role do you perform for MAFCA?" (only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

I can understand a fist fight over the which engine oil question, but what you describe is crazy. :D

oldman - NorCal 08-26-2018 01:14 PM

I can certainly understand your frustration with not having a local club nearby that offers like-minded Model A enthusiasts with an active membership and activity calendar. That said, I would be willing to bet that there are at least a dozen old Fords in the Bismarck area so I would encourage you to reach out to your community and try to find those individuals and attempt to form a club. I was in Iceland 2 years ago and saw 2 Model A's on the road...….If they are in Iceland they are in Bismarck, North Dakota. Both MAFCA and MARC are concerned with their respective clubs loosing membership as the old guys die off...…..if there not, they should be. Every member has to figure out for themselves why they belong, what they want from their membership and if the club is ultimately satisfying them. I'm pretty confident in saying that Fordbarn would not exist without the Model A clubs. Without the clubs and individuals like you, there is no hobby. I'm hoping you decide to renew your membership and discover over the course of the next 12 months, that you can get more out of it than the magazine.

Jeff/Illinois 08-26-2018 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=P.S.;1667636]only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

/QUOTE]

Here in Illinois and especially the Chi-caaaaago area we pronounce this MAAAAAA-FKA that would really trip his trigger!

Da Bears

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-26-2018 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;1667668]
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1667636)
only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

/QUOTE]

Here in Illinois and especially the Chi-caaaaago area we pronounce this MAAAAAA-FKA that would really trip his trigger!

Da Bears

Jeff,
That WOULDN'T trip his trigger, if the firing pin had been filed! Have I been watchin' TOO MANY Old Westerns?????
Bill Cowpoke

P.S. 08-26-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 1667668)

Da Bears

Oh, yes!! Like MAAAAAAFKA!! Hilarious! "Da Bears" Also!

I was the M.C. for the Hubleys at the MAFCA Reno nationals and was tempted to work the may-f-ka thing in, but decided not to do it there. I did it on mic at the Apple Hill meet a few years ago and 90% of the crowd was less than amused. However, everyone under the age of 50 was in hysterics.