The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Water Inlet Leak (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313582)

Steves46 05-21-2022 10:02 AM

Water Inlet Leak

Good day. I had to remove the water inlet (next to the oil fill tube) on the engine to do some work. Prior to reinstalling it, I inspected the gasket which appeared to be good, applied some Permatex 2 and reinstalled the inlet. Started adding water and now have a leak. I guess my first step is to order a new gasket and/or apply some Indian Head shellac and see if that will stop the leak. Am I on the right path or is there anything else I should do? It wasn't leaking prior to initially removing the inlet so I am a bit puzzled why it is leaking now. Thanks for any guidance. Steve.

gdmn852 05-21-2022 12:07 PM

Re: Water Inlet Leak

Permatex the bolt threads ? I think those are through holes into water jacket. Sure you will get more responses.

MrBruce 05-21-2022 12:16 PM

Get a new gasket and don't put anything on it, that's what the gasket is for.

TMarsh 05-21-2022 12:51 PM

Torque bolt evenly to keep from cracking housing.

Steves46 05-21-2022 04:52 PM

Thanks how tight should this be torqued?

1crosscut 05-21-2022 06:17 PM

Sure it's not the hose leaking?

Steves46 05-21-2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 2131645)
Sure it's not the hose leaking?

Positive.

TMarsh 05-21-2022 09:13 PM

The torque numbers are not that important, just tighten it up nice and snug with even pressure as you would a modern thermostat housing, as they were known to break. If you tighten one completely and then try to tighten the other it will most likely crack the housing.

chrs1961815 05-21-2022 10:39 PM

What I do is use some Permatex water pump gasket maker to make connections in contact with antifreeze. Other silicone most likely degrades when it comes into contact, at least I always had trouble. I wouldn't use a gasket of any kind, I tried playing that game and it didn't work out too well.

Steves46 05-22-2022 07:09 AM

Although I thought my original gasket was still good I was wrong. Therefore I scraped to what I thought all the remaining gasket material off. When I got a replacement gasket and re-mounted the inlet, I still had a leak. Mistakenly I tried to snug-down the Inlet and managed to crack the one of the ears. After removing the inlet I noticed there was still some gasket residue left that I failed to catch therefore I think it made an uneven surface when I put the other gasket on and still caused a leak. Fortunately, I have a friend that has a few extra inlets and will try again installing this time on a nice clean flat surface. I’m really hoping this time the leaks will be resolved. Boy do I feel ignorant.

dmaxweb 05-22-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdmn852 (Post 2131584)
Permatex the bolt threads ? I think those are through holes into water jacket. Sure you will get more responses.

They are blind holes.

Remove ALL old gasket material and CLEAN mounting surfaces with a solvent to remove all residue. I use permatex on both surfaces and a paper gasket. A bit of permatex on the bolt threads just because. Tighten bolts alternating evenly to no more than 40ftlbs. I tried a copper/asbestos gasket once and it leaked.

dmaxweb 05-22-2022 08:33 AM

I use this on hose connections. It's the Permatex version of the old Hylomar Blue:

https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/...-1-600x600.jpg

Seals well and non-hardening for easy dissasembly later on.

Steves46 05-22-2022 02:34 PM

I have a cork gasket...will that be ok?

dmaxweb 05-23-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves46 (Post 2131875)
I have a cork gasket...will that be ok?

I don't recall using a cork one. If it's too thick and you do not tighten the bolts evenly I guess you could snap off one of the ears.
This would be more likely for the water outlet where head nut torque is 60ftlbs.

ronn 05-23-2022 09:15 AM

hopefully you didnt crack it when you tightened your bolts.

dmaxweb 05-23-2022 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 2132094)
hopefully you didnt crack it when you tightened your bolts.

He did. Post #10

Steves46 05-23-2022 12:18 PM

All good now. A local Model A friend had some inlets in his stash and kindly gave me one. Ensured all the old gasket material was removed, installed the replacement, filled her up and no leaks. There's a lot of good words to be said about car guys...most are always willing to help. Thanks for all the info here as well.

rotorwrench 05-23-2022 04:01 PM

This is another situation that is similar to the outlet water neck and head gasket since it is also related to the cooling system. They will sell you a paper gasket or a copper clad gasket. Folks that had a copper gasket will look for a replacement like it. It seems like Ford used these type gaskets but didn't have any idea that it may cause casting breakage when mechanics tried to replace them years later. Too thick a paper gasket can be a problem as well.

burner31 05-25-2022 09:43 AM

From Henry Ford's best selling book, "Henry's Slightly Secret Service Suggestions"
Whitewater Publishing Co. ©1929

"Rule 17 - When ordering gaskets for any required maintenance/service issues never order just one gasket set, always order at least two"