The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Truck Running Board Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269433)

BadgerA 09-13-2019 09:58 PM

Model A Truck Running Board Question

2 Attachment(s)
I have what I believe is a set of original 30/31 pick up running boards. I recently compared them against a set of new Rootliebs that a friend purchased for his truck. His new boards appear very similar to mine on the top and side. However, the mounting brackets on the bottom are quite different. Difference in the ends of the brackets and difference in the cut outs for mounting. Can someone confirm which is correct? Perhaps the pictures will make this question clearer. Thanks.

BadgerA 09-14-2019 08:47 AM

Re: Model A Truck Running Board Question

Anyone?

Neil Wilson 09-14-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerA (Post 1798803)
I have what I believe is a set of original 30/31 pick up running boards. I recently compared them against a set of new Rootliebs that a friend purchased for his truck. His new boards appear very similar to mine on the top and side. However, the mounting brackets on the bottom are quite different. Difference in the ends of the brackets and difference in the cut outs for mounting. Can someone confirm which is correct? Perhaps the pictures will make this question clearer. Thanks.

The original would be as Ford produced it as far as I know.

BadgerA 09-14-2019 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Neal. My specific question is whether the new Rootlieb board as pictured has incorrect brackets. I.E., I want to confirm that the other board pictured is indeed an original. And, if the new Rootlieb board has incorrect brackets, why did they produce them that way? I would think it would be just as easy to make the brackets the correct way with less work for stamping, etc.

Does anyone out there have original boards? If so, how are the brackets made? Are they the same as what I believe to me my original board as pictured?

Joe K 09-14-2019 12:09 PM

For my 29CC pickup I have original board and a set of Rootliebs scheduled for replacement. I have noticed a similar difference in the mount, but the boards are not in front of me at this moment to confirm an answer to your query.

If you don't get an answer before Sunday pm when I return home, I'll take a look.

I think the difference is not detectable when the bracket covers the applied clip - but I'll comment later on that.

Joe K

Tudortomnz 09-14-2019 04:32 PM

The original brackets & boards are ones on the right. Do they have Made in USA stamped topside? Canadian ones are stamped as such. Cheers

BadgerA 09-14-2019 10:46 PM

No visible Made In USA stamp on the topside on my boards.