The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sanity check on lubing springs in place (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268039)

alexiskai 08-17-2019 02:16 PM

Sanity check on lubing springs in place

I want to try to improve ride and correct a slight lean by lubricating the springs without removing them. I know the "right" way is to take the springs out and check them, but I don't want to spend the time/money.

Since I haven't done this before, I was hoping somebody could take a look at this planned sequence and tell me if I'm missing anything or creating problems. I'm planning to do the whole sequence once for the front springs and once for the rear.
  1. Detach shock arms and brake rods
  2. Jack up the frame maybe a foot
  3. Jack stands under the frame on both sides
  4. Remove hanger nuts to detach the spring from the frame
  5. Remove visible grime from spring leaves
  6. Apply generous treatment of Kano Penephite, possibly using a screwdriver head to get between the leaves
  7. Reinstall hanger nuts carefully using a torque wrench in a cross pattern
  8. Lower everything back down
  9. Install oiled spring cover (from Snyder's)
  10. Reattach brake rods and shock arms (good time to check the shocks too)

Does this look OK? Any improvements?

Brentwood Bob 08-17-2019 02:21 PM

Re: Sanity check on lubing springs in place

Where is the containment step in your sequence? C-clamps, or logging chain would do the job. I would do with step 4.

alexiskai 08-17-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1788941)
Where is the containment step in your sequence? C-clamps, or logging chain would do the job. I would do with step 4.

Do I need to clamp the springs even though I'm not taking them out of the spring perches?

Bob Bidonde 08-17-2019 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't take the springs apart.

> Have someone rock the car side-to-side and spray the springs on both sides with SAE 10 oil. Do this a few times after driving the car;

> Buy a set of spring covers and saturate the felt pads with 140 gear oil. Install the pads, and annually replenish the gear oil.

An immediate ride improvement can be had by reducing the rear tire pressures to 28 psig, and the front tire pressures to 30 psig.

alexiskai 08-17-2019 03:09 PM

There may be some confusion, I'm not planning to disassemble the springs. I'm just trying to lift the frame away from them slightly so that I can get up as close as possible to spray them with the lubricant. They're not coming off the axles.

I know there's a lot of cautionary tales out there about the stored energy in the springs, hence the recommendation of a spreader for the rear springs. What I'm trying to figure out is, am I OK just lifting the frame off them briefly without the spreader? Or do I need to do the lubrication with the frame in place, per Bob Bidonde's suggestion?

cjkohnast 08-17-2019 03:22 PM

Do not detach anything. Put the car on jack stands just high enough to take weight off the tires maybe an inch take an old screwdriver and drive it between the leaves. spraying between each leaf.

alexiskai 08-17-2019 03:25 PM

OK, so that is now two votes for "don't take the U-bolts off." Good to know.

Brentwood Bob 08-17-2019 03:44 PM

The center bolt can fail at any time, the best time would be when the spring is contained.

alexiskai 08-17-2019 03:55 PM

Sounds like I should just eliminate step #4, and in step #7 just tighten the hanger nuts, make sure they're even.

jb-ob 08-17-2019 04:44 PM

Alex,

Why all the work ??

1. Jack up the car placing jack stands under the front motor mounts.

2. Remove front wheels.

3. Lower the front axle until the shocks bottom out.

4. Soak the relaxed leaves with your favorite penetrating oil.

5. Jack her up & reinstall front wheels.

I used the same product, worked great for me.

JB

alexiskai 08-17-2019 04:47 PM

I like this method, guess I should decide whether it's more work to take the wheels off or just to jack the frame up another foot, seems like it would have the same effect.

Terry, NJ 08-17-2019 05:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Be Very careful of the springs! I'm sure that in the history of model A s, someone has been killed by the rear spring. I almost lost a leg to one. DO NOT LOOSEN the SPRING UNLESS YOU HAVE IT CONTAINED!
To return to the subject at hand, here's what I would do; With the body in place, loosen the center nut on the spring. Back it off no more than two turns. Now flood the little gaps between the leaves with motor oil in a squeeze can.Maybe jack the frame (not the wheels) a click or three and get as much oil in between the leaves as is possible. Then let it all down on the ground again and retighten the center bolt of the spring. This is far easier and less dangerous than messing around with the spring.
Terry

midgetracer 08-17-2019 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about using one of these gizmos.

alexiskai 08-17-2019 07:13 PM

Not familiar with that gizmo, what is it?

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-17-2019 07:24 PM

I just jack one end of the car at a time up high, enough so that jackstands under the frame will let the wheels and spring hang as far down as it’ll go. Then I use like a motorcycle chain lube or Teflon silicone, or a penetrating type oil squirted all around the leaves.

Kurt in NJ 08-17-2019 08:06 PM

I use a simplified method--- take oil can, fill with atf, squirt on springs. Go for drive---- don't forget the oil hole in the hand crank bearing

Tacoma Bob 08-17-2019 09:14 PM

Penephite is designed to travel horizontally.

alexiskai 08-17-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob (Post 1789072)
Penephite is designed to travel horizontally.

Is that... bad? Isn't that the reason to use it on leaf springs?

Ranchero50 08-17-2019 09:56 PM

I'd just put some old motor oil in a squirt bottle, spray the spring packs and take it for a ride. Come home and wipe up any mess.

I had my rear spring apart The leaves don't relax until you remove the center bolt and start loosening the clamps.

midgetracer 08-17-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1789023)
Not familiar with that gizmo, what is it?

It is a tool to lubricate leaf springs.