The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Removal and Replacement of Locking Hubcap Cover??? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259204)

Chuck Kuntz 02-14-2019 04:45 PM

Removal and Replacement of Locking Hubcap Cover???

In past years, I have removed and replaced the stainless covers on 36-39 hubcaps but don't see any way to remove the stainless cover from a 1935 locking spare tire hubcap that I just purchased for my pickup. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help on this.
Chuck

DavidG 02-14-2019 05:08 PM

Re: Removal and Replacement of Locking Hubcap Cover???

I've done at least a dozen '32-'35 lockers, so it can be done. You'll need a lot of patience and time as you pry on the lip of the cover in very small increments round and round to avoid splitting or stretching the edges more than the absolute minimum required to remove it from the steel base.

Chuck Kuntz 02-14-2019 10:38 PM

I did that on a 36 spare tire cap but was not pleased with the results. Have you found any particular tools that best for slowly removing the cap?

DavidG 02-14-2019 11:03 PM

A '36 spare cap lacks the sturdy foundation of the '32-'35 lockers which provides much better leverage. I just use a well worn small screw driver with its blade inherently rounded on the corners very thin on the tip.

oldandtired 02-15-2019 07:49 AM

It took me a long time to find a correct 35 pickup locking spare. It even had the key and the lock worked. I looked it over for quite a while and decided I didn't think I had the skills to do the restoration myself, so I sent it off to a stainless restorer who told me he could do it. Several weeks later I got it back with the key broken off in the slot with the stainless undone. At least he didn't charge me for breaking off the key and not doing the stainless. I still have it out in storage and it is still the subject of muttering socially unacceptable words when I have to move it to get to something else.

Chuck Kuntz 02-15-2019 07:51 AM

Thanks for the info. That is basically what I used on the 36 cap. I will try grinding the tip thinner.

Chuck Kuntz 02-15-2019 07:53 AM

Those 35 pickup caps are very hard to find. I had about twenty of the ones for cars and until a few days ago never could find one for my pickup.

1936 ford pickup 02-15-2019 10:06 AM

HI Chuck,

DO NOT GRIND OFF the lip.

Take your time and it will come out perfect and you will be very pleased with your results.
I have the '35 Ford pickup spare tire lock on my '36 Ford pickup and I went to WalMart and bought about 5 or 6 putty knives (with the 1" blade) and slowly inserted them under the Stainless lip. I worked my way around slowly and it came off perfectly with no damage to the Stainless cover.

Bruce in Modesto, Ca.

JM 35 Sedan 02-15-2019 11:10 AM

Has anyone tried using a slight amount of heat around the lip of the stainless using a heat gun or hair dryer? Thought of trying that, but never have.