The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Changing Studs to Bolts on Sidemount Arm (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187532)

OL JENNY 01-22-2016 09:38 AM

Changing Studs to Bolts on Sidemount Arm

A few years ago in either the Model A News or the Restorer, there was a very good article on how to replace the studs on the side mount arm with bolts. This action makes it easier to remove the spare since you can pull it straight up. I can not find the article, and would appreciate help with this article, or other information pertaining to this procedure. Good or Bad? Thanks

CarlG 01-22-2016 11:22 AM

Re: Changing Studs to Bolts on Sidemount Arm

I actually did that with mine. I know the article is out there somewhere, but as I recall, I drove the studs out, & welded nuts on the back side of the plate. Then took the lug nuts, inserted a bolt into the nuts - screwed down tight with Loctite. Then cut the head off the bolt, chamfered the end to make it easy to guide into the welded nut.

For me, it works like a charm.

J Witt 01-22-2016 11:28 AM

Hey, now I like that idea. Two of the studs have been spun out of the plate anyway on mine.

John

OL JENNY 01-22-2016 11:45 AM

Thanks Carl, that sounds like a good approach

katy 01-22-2016 12:16 PM

Would trailer lug bolts work?

http://www.easternmarine.com/trailer...2-thread-81170

Cheap enough.

Bruce 01-22-2016 01:12 PM

Take the plate off and knock the square shoulder bolts out. Use a file to make the square holes just a tad bigger and stick in SIDE SPARE TIRE CARRIER PLATE BOLTS. They are meant to be swedged in place, but if you do a good job with the file, the square holes in the plate will keep them from turning.
Reinstall the plate on the arm.
Put the tire in the fenderwell (easy without the bolts sticking out), line up the (Bratton's part no. 2009) bolts with the wheel holes in the wheel, and put the nuts on. No one will be the wiser.
However, remember that you did it. Otherwise you risk dropping a bolt on the fender when you need the spare.

CarlG 01-22-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1228227)
Would trailer lug bolts work?

http://www.easternmarine.com/trailer...2-thread-81170

Cheap enough.

They would work alright, but they wouldn't look the same

OL JENNY 01-23-2016 09:23 AM

Thanks Bruce, that seems like an easy way to solve it.

CarlG 01-23-2016 01:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OL JENNY (Post 1228117)
A few years ago in either the Model A News or the Restorer, there was a very good article on how to replace the studs on the side mount arm with bolts. This action makes it easier to remove the spare since you can pull it straight up. I can not find the article, and would appreciate help with this article, or other information pertaining to this procedure. Good or Bad? Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1228187)
I actually did that with mine. I know the article is out there somewhere, but as I recall, I drove the studs out, & welded nuts on the back side of the plate. Then took the lug nuts, inserted a bolt into the nuts - screwed down tight with Loctite. Then cut the head off the bolt, chamfered the end to make it easy to guide into the welded nut.

For me, it works like a charm.

Here's where I found the article:
"How to Restore Your Model A" Volume 7, page 94. This was a reprint from MAFCA's The Restorer magazine, but it doesn't say which issue.

Here's pictures of mine: 1) backside 2) front 3) Stud bolt 4) Bolt inserted in welded nut

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-23-2016 07:05 PM

On Minervas' rear spare, I put 2 bolts & lug nuts to fill the empty holes! You couldn't imagine the guff I received! I wouldn't DARE type my replies to a couple of Guys! Me & My Dog don't take C**P offen' ANYBODY!!!! "BITE 'EM, FIDO"!!!
Somebody even complained that her lug nuts were TOO SHINY!! I should carry MIDOL, for people like that.
Bad Bill

Tom Wesenberg 01-23-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1229048)
On Minervas' rear spare, I put 2 bolts & lug nuts to fill the empty holes! You couldn't imagine the guff I received! I wouldn't DARE type my replies to a couple of Guys! Me & My Dog don't take C**P offen' ANYBODY!!!! "BITE 'EM, FIDO"!!!
Somebody even complained that her lug nuts were TOO SHINY!! I should carry MIDOL, for people like that.
Bad Bill

Would "Vanishing Cream" make them go away? :D:p

OL JENNY 01-24-2016 10:12 AM

Bill I have found that there are a few folks that just need something more productive in their life to keep them busy and then they might not sweat the small stuff. The older we get, the easier it is to ignore some of them.

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-24-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL JENNY (Post 1229253)
Bill I have found that there are a few folks that just need something more productive in their life to keep them busy and then they might not sweat the small stuff. The older we get, the easier it is to ignore some of them.

Those folks I "told off" are still my FRIENDS, can't afford to lose any of my 5 FRIENDS:D---(The Dog is LAFFIN')
Bill W.

John Kuhnast 01-25-2016 10:35 AM

I found that instead of trying to lift the tire up and out just tip the top a little toward you and than roll it onto the running board. Try it,

duke36 03-29-2017 06:29 PM

In a recent thread, I inquired about the position of the side mount plate and which side with the projected side boss faces out. In post #9 photos, the recess at the slotted hole faces the arm. Other have stated that it is the reverse with the recess facing outward where the nut is. Am still confused which way it should be and what an original plate looks like. One of the vendors new plates has a projected area facing the arm (back) which would move the plate more outward from the body.