The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I could not sit idle, have a new project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79576)

RockHillWill 12-30-2017 08:47 AM

Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

10 Attachment(s)
Continuing small step - maybe someday this thing will be done. Retirement is not all that it's cracked up to be. At any rate a little more got done. No matter how hard I try, the Bugatti build and the interest in the new M1026 Humvee project is diluting the work on the speedster. Jim Hery was a big help on making the correct 'fit' at the hood and the cowl. We had a long discussion on how it should look. Jim won that discussion on how it should look, but I damn near had to break his arm to see it my way on how we were going to do it, LOL. I like how it turned out. Thanks Jim. Several months ago, I had to remake the hood as the character line did not match well at the rear. I have added the grab bar between the driver and passenger compartment and riveted the emblems at the side of the body. Cotton Eubanks was of great help when installing the strengthening surround at the headers. I began metal shaping the nose several months ago and was having trouble matching the contours of the grill with that of the nose because they shared a radius. Jim suggested temporarily attaching them together to do the finish work on the nose and it has been working well. Those bolts will be replaced with rivets.

Attachment 344655

Attachment 344656

Attachment 344657

Attachment 344658

Attachment 344659

Attachment 344660

Attachment 344661

Attachment 344662

Attachment 344663

Attachment 344664

henry's 31 12-31-2017 01:22 PM

All I can say is WOW! Incredible detail and workmanship! Thanks for sharing.

RockHillWill 03-11-2018 07:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More small steps. I am enthused little more these days as I need to get this done and out of the way for the upcoming Redneck Roundup. Not likely to happen, but it is good motivation. I got the gas tank installed and set into place so that it fits the opening in the tail section, polished the top 'stripe', ran the gas line, installed the fuel shutoff switch and fabricated the battery hold down bracket. I made the GAV so that I can adjust the dual carbs individually, but they remain hard to do once the exhaust header gets hot. Got the seats detailed and mounted, battery compartment is complete with the exception of installing a non conductive base to the bottom of the cover. (aluminum floor pans).

The gas tank had previously been coated and it turned out very nice. Put about a quart of gas in the new tank (no leaks), checked fuel flow to both carbs and decided to start it up again for a more sustained test of the carburetors having reset the timing. I left the choke on too long and over flowed both carbs. Got it running, but fouled at least one plug, but kept it running to make as many carb settings as possible before it ran out of gas. The long tail pipe makes the 'popping' aggravating. At this point, I feel that I have detailed everything from the tail section to the firewall. The motor ran very cool throughout this test. A little more metal finishing, a change of sparkplugs and a better way of adjusting the idle while running and I will be on the home stretch on this project.

Ed Saniewski 03-12-2018 05:41 AM

Will, Do you know what the gas tank was coated with?

RockHillWill 03-12-2018 07:12 AM

Ed, I do not remember at this time. A friend of mine from Grand Rapids, Michigan did it for me. I will make an attempt to find the can or get in touch with him

Regards, Will

40 Deluxe 03-12-2018 08:10 AM

Doesn't seem that you could adjust the carbs properly with fouled plugs! Why not stop and put a new set in? Otherwise, it seems like time wasted as it will have to be done over anyway.

RockHillWill 03-12-2018 02:49 PM

Too bad you were not here to help. You could have mowed our grass as well.
I spent the time checking for leaks at the gas tank, and along the 8ft of gas line and the shut off valve. We also adjusted the throttle linkage where it connects the dual carbs and where it goes thru the firewall, checked vacuum connections, and the starting position of the modified timing adjustment controls.

There was a small loop that had to be installed in the fuel line right at the exit of the gas tank, and we put in a measured amount of fuel and wanted to run it dry to be able to measure how much that loop consumed of the amount of gas.

At one time I had over 144,000 pounds of used Model A parts, but as of this morning, not one new spark plug in the joint.

How did you test the fuel delivery system in the speedster that you built?

RockHillWill 03-13-2018 07:49 AM

Ed, I looked up the info on the gas tank sealer. It was provided to me from a friend in Grand Rapids, Michigan, who's employer owns the Miami Heat basketball team and the farm team for the Detroit Red Ring Hockey team and has a very large collection of both vintage and contemporary sports cars. I have been working with him on a vintage Mercedes Gull Wing hood restoration. It is called Phenol Novolac Epoxy from Caswell. I have not used it before, but my friend mentioned that they have been using it for several years with no issues. Here is a link.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-...nk-sealer.html