The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need wheel bolt swaged into rear hub (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229004)

dahrens1 09-12-2017 02:17 PM

Need wheel bolt swaged into rear hub

I have a relatively new cast iron rear brake drum and attached hub that has a single wheel bolt that I can feel (by hand) is loose, but does not turn (yet). Who in the southern New England (preferably in CT) area has the necessary equipment and know-how to remove the old bolt and swage a new bolt into the hub/drum for me? Since I can't be sure that any of the bolts were swaged properly in the first place I may just have all five redone to play it safe.

Thanks
Dave

CarlG 09-12-2017 02:58 PM

Re: Need wheel bolt swaged into rear hub

He's not anywhere near New England, but send it to Randy Gross. He will do it right.

Tiny 09-12-2017 04:17 PM

Any one with a 50 ton press should be able to do it. You may need to provide the swedging tool though. They're cheap though from the vendors

leo 09-13-2017 07:45 AM

This is not as simple as it seems. I've been doing research on this and if you don't have any experience with it I would find someone who does. The main problem is to know how to back up the drum with something when using the press to remove or install the new hub bolt/s. If you don't have that under control you will mess up the drum. Try to find a brake shop that has a machine shop and an old timer who is familiar with the job.

Railcarmover 09-13-2017 08:22 AM

Its not tricky to center a stud in a press and insure the force remains on the stud during assembly. The hub and drum should 'float' so they are allowed to seat together during the swedging. Buy a swedging tool (about 8 bucks from the vendors)and show your local machine shop what you want done.

veggie 09-13-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahrens1 (Post 1526333)
I have a relatively new cast iron rear brake drum and attached hub that has a single wheel bolt that I can feel (by hand) is loose, but does not turn (yet). Who in the southern New England (preferably in CT) area has the necessary equipment and know-how to remove the old bolt and swage a new bolt into the hub/drum for me? Since I can't be sure that any of the bolts were swaged properly in the first place I may just have all five redone to play it safe.

Thanks
Dave

Carl
You can try A's and more in Stafford springs Ct.

Kevin in NJ 09-13-2017 09:26 AM

You need at least a 30 ton press. A real swage tool is needed.

Once it is done you need to check the drum has not been warped. My guess it will need a light cut, but honestly I have not had experience to know for fact.

SteveB31 09-13-2017 07:13 PM

Send it to us, and I will swedge it and send it back same day. We have done thousands.

Steve Becker
Bert's Model a Center
Modelastore.com

dahrens1 09-14-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggie (Post 1526662)
You can try A's and more in Stafford springs Ct.

A's & More was a good suggestion but unfortunately they are in the process of replacing their hydraulic press they use for this type of operation so they would not be able to do it soon enough. Randy Gross and Steve at Bert's have both offered to do it for me so unless anyone else has any suggestions I will just have to figure out how much shipping both ways will cost me. :(

Thanks

Dave

1931 flamingo 09-14-2017 06:27 PM

Where in CT are you located??
Paul in CT

dahrens1 09-14-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1527315)
Where in CT are you located??
Paul in CT

I'm in central CT, Manchester to be exact but would gladly drive any reasonable distance to get this done. :)

Dave

1931 flamingo 09-15-2017 05:52 PM

Not too familiar but there's got to be an "old" shop in Manchester??
Call Juliano's in Vernon, they may be able to help or refer you.
Paul in CT

wmws 09-15-2017 07:20 PM

Schwams in south east PA can do it. Not in Conn but closer than Calif. or Colo.