The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New member, new project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276348)

Fasttoys 02-04-2020 03:49 PM

New member, new project

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, first post, picked up my 1st old Ford yesterday. A 35 Tudor, looks to be in excellent condition for the year, it did have a bit of documentation and a current title and registration. The prior owner used this as a show car at one time based on the dash placks found in the glove box. From what I can tell it was last ran around 2012 based on the most current dash plack, It also has the generator in a box behind the seat so that may be what put it to rest.
Anyway I look forward to your advice and opinions as I figure out what to do with this thing.
Rob

rockfla 02-04-2020 03:52 PM

Re: New member, new project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fasttoys (Post 1848584)
Hi all, first post, picked up my 1st old Ford yesterday. A 35 Tudor, looks to be in excellent condition for the year, it did have a bit of documentation and a current title and registration. The prior owner used this as a show car at one time based on the dash placks found in the glove box. From what I can tell it was last ran around 2012 based on the most current dash plack, It also has the generator in a box behind the seat so that may be what put it to rest.
Anyway I look forward to your advice and opinions as I figure out what to do with this thing.
Rob

Welcome to the Fordbarn. Nice 35 Sedan....I always loved the looks of the 2 and 4 door slant backs. Hopefully you ditch the whitewall tires, get a good generator, get it running good and drive it!!!!!

joe 1950 02-04-2020 04:04 PM

welcome to the barn lucky you nice old ford there so easy to work on and so much fun to drive and of coarse show off good luck keep us posted

JSeery 02-04-2020 04:07 PM

Welcome to the Barn, looks like a great project!

Fasttoys 02-04-2020 04:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Still figuring the picture thing out, here's some more.

Russ/40 02-04-2020 04:31 PM

Welcome! Looks like it would clean up nicely! You could rent out the back!

34fordy 02-04-2020 07:14 PM

What a beauty! The Iowa Highway Patrol has a black 35 Tudor slant back that they exhibit around the state. It has the yellow insignia on the door that really looks nice to me. I would love to have a black one just like it. If you google Iowa Highway Patrol 1935 Ford you can see some pics. Maybe petehoovie will blowup a picture for me. Thanks in advance Pete!

petehoovie 02-04-2020 07:36 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1580849106

NICE!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...9&d=1580850400

tubman 02-04-2020 07:57 PM

I had a '36 "slantback" tudor, which I really liked (much better that the "humpback" version). I used to tell the "citizens" that it was a Victoria.

Looks to be maroon with black fenders which should look real nice when cleaned up. There is a long-standing thread on the H.A.M.B. about how to wash a "barn find". Please note that it is tongue in cheek.

deuce_roadster 02-04-2020 08:05 PM

Welcome, you have landed in the right place! Does it have the original 35 engine?
Lots of knowlege here, if you have questions about something just post them.

drolston 02-04-2020 08:10 PM

My first Ford was a '35 coupe, for which I paid $95 in 1958, in about the same condition as yours. Put on hydraulic brakes for stop and swapped in a '48 Mercury engine for go. And go it did! Still love the '35's, especially the coupes and two door slant backs.

Have a ball with it!

FHFD 02-04-2020 08:25 PM

Welcome, I like your car..what are your plans for it?
If you post your location, you may find out you have fellow old Ford enthusiasts in your area.

Tinker 02-04-2020 08:26 PM

Slant backs are cool. What are YOUR plans?

To me it's toooo nice to f up too much.

Fasttoys 02-04-2020 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are correct, it is in to good of shape to hot rod to much. Really wasn't looking for another project. For this car I'm thinking do an extensive check out of it, make a list of all repairs needed then make a decision on weather its worth restoring or if I'm better off selling it after getting it running and driving. Pictured is my daily driver. '47 Chevy COE. (camper is normally not mounted)
Rob

Tinker 02-04-2020 09:08 PM

If it were me, I'd get it road worthy as you said and drive it for a while as is. At least a yr or two.

Nice project! Have fun!

deuce_roadster 02-04-2020 09:14 PM

Keep in mind the odds are great that the engine has poured main bearings if you have ideas about any mild hot rodding. Only the late 36 21 stud engines had insert mains and that is probably the original 35.

Tinker 02-04-2020 09:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few picts of nice slantbacks. Granted they have some bucks in them.

Fasttoys 02-04-2020 09:24 PM

Wow, very nice Tinker. Yeah I can't see a whole lot of engine mods to a Babbitt bearing engine. This will is my first car with mechanical and no heater. A lot more room inside then I expected.
Rob

Tinker 02-04-2020 09:30 PM

Look around for a later motor. They do come up. Or just run that motor, it might not be that bad and runable for yrs. I run a 37 block (a small upgrade) in my 36, I enjoy it. If you aren't wanting to make a barnburner and just want to cruise a cool car. It might be fine right know, flatheads are very forgiving motors.

Depending on things, just milling the heads will give you a boast on that motor.

Have fun, lot of answers to things here if wanted.

alanwoodieman 02-04-2020 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
restored a 36 four door a couple of years ago, used a 37 motor and changed out the 4:11 gears for a set of 3:78, used brake floaters for a great upgrade for the brakes. I sent a pm to you.