The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil Detergent - Rislone ZDDP (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269847)

dbtenner 09-22-2019 06:15 PM

Oil Detergent - Rislone ZDDP

Oil being used in my 1934 is SAE 40 straight weight from Shell Rotella. I’ve heard this detergent, Risolne (picture below) is a great zinc supplement detergent to add to the oil.

Any thoughts or review of this product?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2799efcb7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 MERC-CT 09-22-2019 06:55 PM

Re: Oil Detergent - Rislone ZDDP

The Shell Rotella appears to already have ZDDP in it.
The ZDDP is not a detergent but enhances lubrication.
If you do some research on line there are reports that say too much ZDDP can be detrimental to an engine.

tubman 09-22-2019 07:12 PM

You don't need it on a stock (or close to it) flathead.

dbtenner 09-22-2019 07:16 PM

Ok thanks! I didn’t realize Shell Rotella has ZDDP included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bones 09-22-2019 10:42 PM

The need for zinc grew out of factory heavy valve spring, high lift, high performance camshafts. These street applications from early '60s thru the early '70s demanded higher zinc levels to insure valve train longevity.

While research shows some zinc is good, it also tells us that too much zinc can cause excess wear.

One of our senior gurus ( Ol' Ron ) speaks of spring pressure of about 45 or 50 lbs. ( I can't recall which ) as all that is needed.

petehoovie 09-22-2019 11:10 PM

Wondering if ZDDP is beneficial to Babbitt bearings......Hmmmm

flatheadmurre 09-23-2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1802060)
Wondering if ZDDP is beneficial to Babbitt bearings......Hmmmm

ZDDP kinda needs to be activated by heat and pressure from 2 metalsurfaces to stick to them...so not harming bearing material...

Gene1949 09-23-2019 07:10 AM

Snake oil my friend. Oil companies spend billions of dollars formulating oil additives engineered by chemists. By using additives your are basically trying to outthink engineers who have spent their entire lives formulating additives. I know I'm not smart enough to do that.

Our engines were built and ran during a time when lube oils were very simple in design. About 2 and a half years ago went on the internet and looked for oils with the highest ZDDP package.
AT THAT TIME Castrol GTX 20-50 was rated in the top 5 unless you went to the designer "racing" oils. Having said that I'm sure that has changed by now. Anyway, all oils in the top 5 exceeded the ZDDP minimums necessary to protect old engines

uncle buck 09-23-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene1949 (Post 1802103)
Snake oil my friend. Oil companies spend billions of dollars formulating oil additives engineered by chemists. By using additives your are basically trying to outthink engineers who have spent their entire lives formulating additives. I know I'm not smart enough to do that.

Our engines were built and ran during a time when lube oils were very simple in design. About 2 and a half years ago went on the internet and looked for oils with the highest ZDDP package.
AT THAT TIME Castrol GTX 20-50 was rated in the top 5 unless you went to the designer "racing" oils. Having said that I'm sure that has changed by now. Anyway, all oils in the top 5 exceeded the ZDDP minimums necessary to protect old engines

The problem today is the engineers and chemists are more focused on federal emission regulations than preventing wear on our old engines.

40 Deluxe 09-23-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle buck (Post 1802137)
The problem today is the engineers and chemists are more focused on federal emission regulations than preventing wear on our old engines.

Looking at the longevity of engines from the last 15 or 20 years(often 300-400,000 miles) I'd say what the petroleum engineers have done is to the benefit of our old engines! The only time extra zinc is needed is if we're running high RPM high pressure valve springs. Remember, there was no zinc in oil in the flathead's day!

Kurt in NJ 09-23-2019 10:55 AM

When you add additional additives to oil with additives you can end up with something worse if the additives clash with each other

V8 Bob 09-23-2019 01:34 PM

The best advice I've learned about engine oil is if you think you need an additive, you're using the wrong oil! :)

uncle buck 09-23-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1802140)
Looking at the longevity of engines from the last 15 or 20 years(often 300-400,000 miles) I'd say what the petroleum engineers have done is to the benefit of our old engines! The only time extra zinc is needed is if we're running high RPM high pressure valve springs. Remember, there was no zinc in oil in the flathead's day!

We have also changed metals , gone to roller valve train ,variable valve timing, timing belts etc. The engines built today are every bit as different as the oils

Karl 09-24-2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle buck (Post 1802356)
We have also changed metals , gone to roller valve train ,variable valve timing, timing belts etc. The engines built today are every bit as different as the oils

Agreed but there is no doubt the quality and functionality of todays lubricants is light years ahead of that used in the day. I have run restored BMC engines in cars for 50000 miles with no engine work . My mechanic grandfather spoke of the same engine in the day regularly needing a valve job at 10000 miles and the bottom end at 30000 miles Something has changed and in this case it isn't the engine -Karl