The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine Blow By or Not (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267670)

Cape Codder 08-10-2019 01:21 PM

Engine Blow By or Not

I have had what appears to be Blow By from my engine for some time now. I originally that I was loosing water because the drain was always wet. Of course further investigation showed that in fact it was oil DRIPPING down the return pipe to the drain. Is there anything that can be done about this short of taking the oil servicing cap off and installing one that has the extended flexible pipe?

With just a little over 12,000 miles on motor, should this be happening? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would also like to hear from some of the engine re-builders that are often on this site!

nick c 08-10-2019 05:22 PM

Re: Engine Blow By or Not

Heres what we need to know, did you take this block to a machine shop and have it bored out and buy new over sized pistons and rings or did someone say it was rebuilt when you bought it?
Now removed all 4 spark plugs, open throttle and check the compression and report back to us.
carry on

ryanheacox 08-10-2019 07:10 PM

Sounds like a lot of oil but then it is a pretty common complaint for oil to spray out of the breather. Do you know if you’re burning oil? If you have bad blow by odds would be you’d also be burning quite a bit of oil.

My old engine had the disliked “steel wool in the cap” fix and I never had an issue. The engine rebuilder removed it and now I do get a mist of oil aft of the filler tube, not a big deal to me.

Cape Codder 08-10-2019 08:34 PM

Want to thank you both for your responses!

First, I had the motor rebuilt 12,502 ago maybe 5 years ago at a noted machine shop with either 60 or 80 over pistons. Just this past March I had a valve issue which has been rectified with NEW valves and cut seats. In March I also checked the compression at 60-62 lbs. in all cylinders.

As far as the oil I don't usually add oil during my 800-1000 mile oil changes. And no I don't have steel wool in the oil filler cap.

As best I can tell is the mist comes out the oil filler cap onto the water return hose and then drips down to the water petcock and drips off that onto my engine pans where I wipe it down every time I check the oil before a ride.

Last comment: the car runs very well especially since I did the valve work!

ryanheacox 08-10-2019 08:53 PM

I'm guessing with those compression numbers you have a stock head? If so, I really wouldn't worry too much about it especially since you say the engine runs well. There are a few different ways to address it if you want to, the breather tube, the steel wool, or a sock over the filler.

Oh, how tight does the filler tube fit in the block? Mine is a little loose and I get a little oil coming out from around the base sometimes. Also, check the baffles in the tube, they were revised a few times over the production run.

Johnny Nitro 08-10-2019 09:07 PM

Like ryanheacox, I reluctantly placed a stainless steel scrub pad in the oil filler tube. Solved my admittedly minor mist problem.

chrs1961815 08-10-2019 09:38 PM

I like to use the last design of the filler tube as I think it performs the best. Ford realized that blow by was an issue and tried to correct it by changing the way the baffles are oriented in the tube but they never quite got it right. The interesting thing is that some engines have this problem really bad, others maybe a little, and some are completely blow by free. Probably due to the way oiling was experimented with in the block castings. Some designs better than others.

daveymc29 08-10-2019 10:35 PM

Perhaps some variation in misting could be attributed to the orientation of the baffles? I would guess if one is really concerned that you could mark the tube and rotate it some until you discover what orientation gives the best results. I had used a copper scrub pad to eliminate my misting, then folks seemed set against that so I took it out. Don't notice much difference, so maybe it mysteriously cured itself?

Kurt in NJ 08-11-2019 12:31 AM

I experimented some with my smiths compresser--- I overfilled the oil to just above the "F", it proceeded to spew drops and drool --- for about 3 hours, then it mostly stopped, and the oil level was just below the "F"

Bob Bidonde 08-11-2019 07:38 AM

The 1st thing you should do is to test the compression in each cylinder. Everything is conjecture until you get some facts about the engine's internal condition.

Railcarmover 08-11-2019 11:52 AM

The previous owner of an engine I have added an additional crankcase vent in the valve cover at the rear top.It reduces crankcase pressure at another spot and helps relieve any crankcase pressure in the valve gallery,potentially reducing rear main leakage.It seems to work well.

nick c 08-11-2019 04:43 PM

Heres an idea, I just cranked up my rebuilt engine with .040 pistons and rings, I held my hand over the filler tube for 30 seconds, there was No pressure build up, just the fluttering of the pistons. I must confess that I installed a pvc valve high on the valve cover because I saw it in a magazine maybe? I believe a minute amount of oil can only help the valves and upper piston and rings.
Here's my question, what difference could it make if you over filled the crankcase, all excess oil runs off the dipper tray, and the crankcase oil level is well below the dipper tray, and they made 2 dip sticks, the F mark is 1/2" higher than others.
carry on

1931 flamingo 08-11-2019 04:50 PM

Your rear main is going to leak due to the over fill. JMO
Paul in CT

Cape Codder 08-12-2019 05:27 PM

Bob Bidonde My readings are still the same: #1 - 62lbs., #2 - 60lbs, #3 - 60lbs. #4 - 60lbs. Now what?

ryanheacox 08-12-2019 08:19 PM

I can’t speak for Bob but even readings that are the same as last time would indicate to me that your engine is in good shape.

chrs1961815 08-13-2019 12:08 AM

Those compression readings are very normal. Your motor is fine. It is probably just your oiling system combined with the filler pipe.

Charlie Stephens 08-13-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1786628)
I like to use the last design of the filler tube as I think it performs the best. Ford realized that blow by was an issue and tried to correct it by changing the way the baffles are oriented in the tube but they never quite got it right. The interesting thing is that some engines have this problem really bad, others maybe a little, and some are completely blow by free. Probably due to the way oiling was experimented with in the block castings. Some designs better than others.

I agree with you. The last design made for the 1932-34 4 cylinder engines was the best.

Charlie Stephens

talwrench 08-13-2019 03:08 PM

I have a good running engine that used to mist oil out the fill tube until and old timer told me to put one of my old socks over it. Problem solved. I change it with oil changes.

Dirtrack49 08-13-2019 08:27 PM

I just purchased a 30 Town Sedan that had 2 miles on it. I have now put a little over 140 miles on it trying to break in the engine. I noticed that my return pipe also gets oil on it. One of the first things I saw was the oil filler pipe was loose, so I shimmed it up with some metal tape.
I still get a little blow by from the top of the filler tube. I am thinking this is somewhat common place and I really am not that concerned.
Your compression readings are good, so I would just continue to drive and maintain your A.
Tom L.

Cape Codder 08-13-2019 08:52 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments!!!