The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Frozen Shackle (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212724)

Beauford 01-14-2017 10:08 PM

Frozen Shackle

I can not get my vendor spring spreader completely under the springs on both sides as my shackles are frozen. I've raised the frame so rear is off the ground and they stay in the same position. Jacked under diff and they stay the same position. Hammer a 2x4 under with a angle cut to wedge it in and it just conforms to a upward position towards spring. I have sprayed a whole can of "Deep Creep" and nothing...Oh, and long crowbar between shackle and axle. I have searched here a lot and have not seen a mention of shackles that have zero give. Even had a fellow model A'er tell me to just cut them off. I have new ones on order so I guess I'm going to break out the wheel....I have to get this spreader in so I can get the rear out as I'm prepping a new frame.

Mitch//pa 01-14-2017 10:41 PM

Re: Frozen Shackle

Perfect job for the INDUCTOR

tbirdtbird 01-14-2017 11:20 PM

"Even had a fellow model A'er tell me to just cut them off."

Hmmmmm...a fellow can get hurt pretty badly with advice like this

Mitch//pa 01-14-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 1413973)

Right on with what Tbird said ,, the spring is under pressure.

Tom Endy 01-15-2017 12:07 AM

Try backing off on the four shackle bolts one turn.

Tom Endy

redmodelt 01-15-2017 12:57 AM

Have you tried a hot wrench? :)

Synchro909 01-15-2017 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 1413973)

My first thought too. Don't do it unless you have the spring spreader securely in place and then VERY carefully.
Try some heat on the shackles while holding them under pressure. Once you get even the smallest amount of movement, you've got em licked.

Beauford 01-15-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1414022)
My first thought too. Don't do it unless you have the spring spreader securely in place and then VERY carefully.
Try some heat on the shackles while holding them under pressure. Once you get even the smallest amount of movement, you've got em licked.

Arnold....thus lies the problems. The spreader needs the shackle to move 1/8 of a inch in order to fit both cleats near spring eye. When you place the spreader on diff center one cleat will slide and lock in but the other side gets hung up on the underside of the spring. I figure the springs are under the rear frame mount, the smaller end u-bolts have long rusted away. The large ones are still in place on either side of the center bolt. Where can the spring go after cutting the shackles? I can secure it more with chains but I doubt the frame is going to lift off the ground from the force. Only other option is the burn rubber bushing to get some play so the spreader will fit.

Jacksonlll 01-15-2017 08:47 AM

Where is a rubber bushing? If you can't get them to rotate, you will never get them out. The portable spreader pushes on only one side and against the banjo housing. That would control the spring while you cut the shackle. It's hard to believe they can stick that tight. I'm sure you will get them out. Good luck.

tbirdtbird 01-15-2017 10:20 AM

need pix

katy 01-15-2017 11:45 AM

You could try putting more weight in the back of the vehicle to help in pushing the spring down.

Dennis Pereira 01-15-2017 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a home made spreader to apply pressure from one side then PB Blaster / Heat / Hammer then when I detect a little movement in the frozen shackle I use the proper type spreader to finish the job safely .

Tom Wesenberg 01-15-2017 02:36 PM

If you have rubber bushings, then you have later parts. A picture would sure help.

It sounds like the rear spring, frame, and body are still bolted together, right?

Terry, NJ 01-15-2017 04:30 PM

BE VERY CAREFUL! If that spring gets away from you (and they do)It can kill. I'm not engaging in hyperbole! They can take a arm or leg off. That chain is no joke! I had one flip a section of the spreader and just miss my leg. Look in my album "My A". To put it on again, I used the boom of my backhoe for downward force and I put the knuckle on a greased block of wood where it could slide into position and I could get the shackle in. It's all in the album.
Terry

Beauford 01-15-2017 06:12 PM

Terry, I hope I don't need a backhoe!!

Tom, i post pics when i figure it out from my iPhone.

Beauford 01-15-2017 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You can see the spreader won't seat on one end.

Jacksonlll 01-15-2017 08:56 PM

Something is way off. Take more pix.

Leatherback 01-15-2017 10:02 PM

From the angle seen in picture #3 it looks as though the spring eye is resting on the axle tube. The shackle needs to be pried up from the axle tube.

Dennis Pereira 01-15-2017 11:11 PM

I hope the center photo is just an example you need to hold the tool up and adjust the nut back against the tool body .

Brentwood Bob 01-15-2017 11:55 PM

Try evening out the length of the exposed thread stock on each side of the spring expander. Shorten the left side and get the nut on the right side up against the center of the expander.
And get out the logging chain and install as #12 shows before you get near the rear end with a wrench.