The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedometer "sticking" at random (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336014)

Banditorama 02-22-2024 11:24 AM

Speedometer "sticking" at random

The oval Speedometer was in rough shape originally when I first got the car. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubricated it, and re-stickered everything. After a few hiccups I've got the odometer, trip meter, and speedo "working".

But, the speedometer wheel itself is wobbly as it scrolls up and down in speed. Also, it's intermittently getting hung up at 10 to 15mph (one time 35) as the car decelerates to a stop. If you give it a firm couple taps it come back down to 0 or if you roll over a bump as you're coming to a stop it'll keep moving. It doesn't hang up all the time but will hang up several times during a drive

The odometer and trip meter are working correctly. The numbers move smoothly and continue to register miles even if the speedo is hung up.

Ted Duke 02-22-2024 06:29 PM

Re: Speedometer "sticking" at random

You may need grease at the turtle?

Banditorama 02-23-2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Duke (Post 2292967)
You may need grease at the turtle?

You're referring to the speedometer drive gear housing bolted to the transmission that the speedo cable screws into, right?

If so, I took that off, inspected, and greased it up.

Bob Bidonde 02-23-2024 10:38 AM

Grease is the wrong lubricant for the speedometer cable. Grease congeals in cold weather, so the cable will turn erratically. Use graphite powder to lube the cable. Also, if you over grease the U-joint, that grease will get into the speedometer cable. As for the speedometer, a very light oil applies sparingly is good. Do not use grease in the speedometer.

arnhemmer 02-23-2024 10:58 AM

I used graphite on the cable and clock oil inside the speedometer.

Banditorama 02-23-2024 12:36 PM

Inside the "turtle" where the gears live I used grease

For the speedo cable I used a white lithium grease

Inside the speedo itself I used sewing machine oil

papanick 02-25-2024 06:40 PM

it sounds like the speed wheel is out of line that would make it hang up at time.

jack wingard 02-26-2024 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papanick (Post 2293626)
it sounds like the speed wheel is out of line that would make it hang up at time.

or the pivot ends could be worn or slightly bent

Banditorama 02-26-2024 11:37 AM

Next time I have it apart I'll have to check the alignment of the speed wheel. Is there a procedure to check that?

Jack, when you say pivot ends, what part are you referring to?

Thanks guys

jack wingard 02-27-2024 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banditorama (Post 2293761)
Next time I have it apart I'll have to check the alignment of the speed wheel. Is there a procedure to check that?

Jack, when you say pivot ends, what part are you referring to?

Thanks guys

It's the end of the shaft/arbor that steps down in diameter that then inserts into a bushing. Simular to a motor shaft bearing setup. On a motor the shaft fits tight to the bearing.
A pivot spins freely inside the bushing.

Dino's A 02-27-2024 09:15 AM

There is a specific type of lubricant for speedometers still made.
Just can't find where I it put it!
White grease will work, I have used it at times. Maybe it's not the best,
but in So Cal, I get away with the warmer temps allowing me to use it.

gary678* 02-27-2024 09:56 AM

The vendors sell a graphite speedometer cable lubricant. I put in a new cable 4 years/8000 miles ago, used the graphite lubricant, and it has performed perfectly; spot-on MPH and odometer readings. I was told by Model A friends to not use grease!

Jim M 02-27-2024 03:41 PM

I did the exact same thing as Gary and it has worked fine for over 3 years. Not sure where I got the graphite lube but my guess is Bert's.

Banditorama 03-16-2024 10:39 AM

Update: Problem Solved!

I followed most of the instructions for rebuilding it from here:http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/spee...r/fischer.html

Per that site, I set the speed cup up/down play to 0.015" play. The speed cup was ever-so-slightly dragging on the odometer wheels that sit underneath it. I got some little washers and put them under just the front two screws that hold the entire speed cup assembly in place.

That threw the speedometer reading but I was able to fix that by adjusting the magnet plate. I verified I had it right with GPS and it reads 100% on the money accurate speed. No more hang-ups and the odometer, speedo, and trip meter are all fully functional.

Thank you everyone for all your help between this thread and all the other ones I've had trying to get this speedo working properly!

Ray in La Mesa 03-16-2024 11:48 AM

Glad to hear you solved the problem. Also glad to see all the speedo info I posted on the "Model A House" technical site years ago helped your project. Ray Beardslee