The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   flathead oil pressure? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276849)

derek costello 02-17-2020 01:41 PM

flathead oil pressure?

what is a flathead 1952 mercury oil pressure normally ???

flathead4rd 02-17-2020 02:58 PM

Re: flathead oil pressure?

Mine runs about 40 to 50 PSI on startup. I use Castrol 10w-50. After warm up and when it's really hot outside my pressure will drop down to about 10 PSI. With water temperature around 195. Flatheads depend on oil flow not so much on oil pressure. I am running a 286 C.I. flathead.

derek costello 02-17-2020 03:10 PM

So.... At 80psi on the starter with plugs out is excessive ????

flatheadmurre 02-17-2020 03:15 PM

Bypass valve is set at 80psi so i wouldn´t worry until you have a reading over that at operation temp.

JSeery 02-17-2020 05:29 PM

80 psi is a lot it it stays there for any length of time. Some what akin to blasting the bearing surfaces.

cadillac512 02-17-2020 05:48 PM

80psi on the starter w/plugs out and cold oil isn't necessarily bad. Warmed up fully you may see 50+ at speed and anywhere from 15-40 at idle depending on the bearing clearances,idle speed and oil used. If it has 80 w/hot oil I'd look into it...

Terry

tubman 02-17-2020 06:00 PM

On my engines, I like to see 25 psi at hot idle and 55 psi at 2500 with the engine at operating temperature. The only time I didn't see it was with a fresh build with a "Speedway" branded pump. I replaced it with a known good used Ford pump and the numbers came back to where I wanted them.

Merc Cruzer 02-17-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek costello (Post 1852909)
So.... At 80psi on the starter with plugs out is excessive ????

Location: Niagara Falls Canada....that might have something to do with the readings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flathead4rd (Post 1852903)
Mine runs about 40 to 50 PSI on startup. I use Castrol 10w-50. After warm up and when it's really hot outside my pressure will drop down to about 10 PSI. With water temperature around 195. Flatheads depend on oil flow not so much on oil pressure. I am running a 286 C.I. flathead.

Mine runs at 65 PSI at speed and 15 PSI at idle on a warm day. I run Castrol 20/50, with Lucas oil stabilizer, for one of the 5 quarts of oil.

He will be fine when Summer comes and he gets stuck in traffic, on an 80 degree day.

Ol' Ron 02-17-2020 06:31 PM

Hi oil pressure can have an erosive affect on the crank and bearings. 10 lbs at idle and 40 in cruise os all you need. Another thing you should know, when running a hi viscosity oil, the opening of the relief valve heats the oil to a very hi temperature, however, as the oil warms up and thins out he valve closes and everything is happy. BUT!!! if your still running 50 [lus pressure the oil will over heat and loose it's effectiveness. The factory when it designed this oiling system rex\comensed 10 at idle and 40 in cruise. At this pressure the all the oil coming from the pump is going through the bearings

flatjack9 02-17-2020 08:12 PM

Most relief valves are set to 60 - 65 lb. 80 seems high.

Merc Cruzer 02-17-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1852997)
Hi oil pressure can have an erosive affect on the crank and bearings. 10 lbs at idle and 40 in cruise os all you need. Another thing you should know, when running a hi viscosity oil, the opening of the relief valve heats the oil to a very hi temperature, however, as the oil warms up and thins out he valve closes and everything is happy. BUT!!! if your still running 50 [lus pressure the oil will over heat and loose it's effectiveness. The factory when it designed this oiling system rex\comensed 10 at idle and 40 in cruise. At this pressure the all the oil coming from the pump is going through the bearings

The caveat to my prior post, is that the gauge and sending unit are probably close to the age of the car - 1953 - and I have not used a direct gauge to check either.

Graeme / New Zealand 02-18-2020 01:49 AM

Quote:

Too right Ron, bit like high blood pressure on the old human body.

GB

Merc Cruzer 02-18-2020 10:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Ol'Ron,

Would the oil pressure specs have increased for later engines, due to better engineering and materials for bearings, or clearances and tolerances? My manual for 1952 shows them a bit higher. It does show the recommended oil weight as 20W above 32 degrees.