The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Great resource for ARP studs and hardware (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269616)

Tim Ayers 09-17-2019 07:38 PM

Great resource for ARP studs and hardware

I know a lot of folks baulk at purchasing ARP studs and other bits of their hardware due to their cost. Ronnie Roadster turned me on to a great site: Allen's Fasteners.

https://www.allensfasteners.com/

This place sells studs individually and gives you a volume discount. So, if you order 50 studs, it cuts the price down.

For example, many vendors sell ARP stud sets for over $500. I purchased 50 studs, 50 grade 5 nuts and 50 .060" stainless washers for $209 shipped to CT.

That is less than many other, low quality kits sold by some of the many large vendors.

I thought I'd throw it out for anyone who may be in the market for quality fasteners.

tubman 09-17-2019 07:41 PM

Re: Great resource for ARP studs and hardware

This is good news. It seems that head stud kits are getting to be boutique items priced only for the "rich and famous" (I save all of the good 8BA head bolts I can find).

Tim Ayers 09-17-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1800204)
This is good news. It seems that head stud kits are getting to be boutique items priced only for the "rich and famous" (I save all of the good 8BA head bolts I can find).

Yes, agree. No way was I going to pay $500 for studs. Plus, the ones I got are broached on the top with a hex head which makes installation a lot easier.

Tinker 09-18-2019 08:37 PM

Pretty hard to argue with the quality of ARP. On a regular flathead might be costly or not needed. Critical bolts like on a flywheel is a great idea. ARP is an amazing bolt company.

Pete 09-19-2019 09:34 PM

Many people that build engines as a HOBBY, forget that "TIME IS MONEY".
1- There is almost always unlimited time available.
2- There is almost always VERY limited money available.

If you have a lathe or have access to one, MAKE YOUR OWN STUDS.
20 bucks will get you enough 7/16 4340.
Another 20 bucks will get them heat treated to 40RC.
Big advantage of doing it his way is, you can tailor the fit to the threads in YOUR block.
You know they will be sitting straight when installed.
You coat the threads with high temp RTV, screw them in to bottom and back up 1/2 turn, with fingers only, let them sit over night and they never leak.

Use HARD high nuts and HARD machine washers all lubed with EP gear oil for accurate torque or stretch readings.

Do not use stainless washers. They are not hard enough and will almost certainly gall at some point.

Remember, unless you are building on a deadline, this is the cheapest and BEST QUALITY way to go.
On those long winter nights, fill your shop ice box with your favorite beverage, light a fire in the stove, Move the hound dog's bed over by the stove and give him a big leg bone to knaw and fire up the lathe.

Tim Ayers 09-19-2019 09:45 PM

Pete,

I am on the hunt for a sub $500 lathe for I'd love to make them myself. For $200, that money for ARP's saved me a lot of time.

I hear what you are saying, but lathes in garages aren't as common as they use to be. I'm 49 and only know one guy with a lathe. He's 2.5 hours away. Better to work the day and pay for them. I'm still way ahead.

Pete 09-19-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1801038)

Pete,

I'm still way ahead.

But what about the beer and the dog?

Tim Ayers 09-19-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1801040)
But what about the beer and the dog?

Well, those are priceless. Lol

Pete 09-19-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1801046)
Well, those are priceless. Lol

Roger on that......